main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will any of the original cast be digitally altered for a flashback scene?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by spacename_the_name, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    Obviously we know that Star Wars TFA will be set 30 years from ROTJ. But will they do a Tron Legacy thing and try to alter one of the original cast members to look younger?

2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This
    [​IMG]
    To this in 1 year
    [​IMG]

4 years later?

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    If there are indeed flashbacks my guess is yes. And I must say that I didn't really like the idea of flashbacks in Star Wars at first, didn't despise it, but now I would like to see this great feat of the Force that Luke does that terrifies him into seclusion on the big screen. And to see that we need a flashback.

4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    i'm not outright opposed to the idea, in theory....but making it convincing is really really hard. Tron worked because it was in a computer world...Terminator worked because he didn't speak and made no other facial expressions, except turning his head.

But people having a conversation or intimate scene? Veeeerry risky. If it's a wide shot and they're not doing much, it could work, but then what would be the point?

HankSolo and Dak Oolron like this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Isn't Carrie Fisher's daughter playing a young Leia, or so the rumor goes.

yogacat and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If Luke is "haunted" by some past and powerful experience with the Force which has caused him to isolate himself, then yes I would say that is definitely something we need to see on screen in some form: traditional flashback as Luke tells someone the story, a vision, a nightmare, something...Maybe there is truth to Carrie's real-life daughter portraying her for a quick flashback to something post-ROTJ....

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  7. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    Carries daughter with digital makeup I hope. This is the same universe we're talking about. Watching Episode 6 then 7 and seeing Leia being played by a different actress would be awkward.

yogacat and Dak Oolron like this.
  8. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I gotta say I really, really hope not. I don't mean to insult the techs at ILM but I don't see them doing a credible job of digitally deaging anyone from the OT. It's one thing if they want to put a digital double of how they look now into a scene but that doesn't involve altering their appearance. Nope, sorry, don't see it happening, not when JJ has stated he wants to get back to the OT feel of practical effects over digital effects.

LunarMoth and Yanksfan like this.
  9. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Nathan Hamill with digital makeup could work.
    [​IMG]

AdamSkywalker likes this.
  10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    never

Dak Oolron and CGI-BOBAFENT like this.
  11. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Nah... I think any flashbacks of the past will just be narration by Threepio while he waves his arms around and Artoo provides sound effects.

Dewback, Dak Oolron and Grilled Hutt like this.
  12. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    say never

Rabs and Dak Oolron like this.
  13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I meant never mind.;)

14. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I'm surprised people don't want them to use the original cast but use practical effects to make them look younger.

Andy Wylde and GunganSlayer like this.
  15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Hell, I'm expecting digital alteration on them in their present day forms.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Sorry, I just can't see Nathan in a Gold Bikini...

17. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    again :)

18. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Just say no to digitally altering... they don't get passed the Uncanny Valley yet.

TK327 likes this.
  19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I wouldn't be against digitally enhancing OT actors to look younger but the Flashback has to be justified and not just for the sake of it.

20. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    My bigger issue isn't so much the altering but rather the idea of a flashback. If it's a force vision or something, then that make sense, but I hope that TFA delivers its story just like the other 6 have. Flashbacks seem weird in SW for me for some reason.

21. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    it's crazy how much he looks like Mark. is that his sister next to him?

22. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Yeah, I would find flashbacks a bit odd in Star Wars, but who knows, maybe it could work.

I mentioned this in the teaser thread, but an alternative to flashbacks would be a short film shown before another movie (a la what Disney and Pixar do) that catches us up on what happened between ROTJ and TFA. That way they wouldn't have to break any established format in the movies themselves.

23. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I dunno, but I'd hope/expect to see Yoda and Kenobi force ghosts show up. Obviously we don't have Guiness around anymore so I'd imagine that we will have appearances from Ewan McGregor in some shape/form.

24. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I don't think that's true at all. We just need to see the results of his actions.

I personally really hope that we're talking a more minor or personal incident than a major demonstration of power. I've seen them go the Superman route with Luke countless times in the EU. It never goes well. OPed Jedi lead inexorably to cheap plot McGuffins. And a somewhat crazy Luke is definitely playing to Hamill's strengths.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  25. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    If it's a feat of power I don't want to just see the result. I want to see it happen. However, it's not something that must happen for me to enjoy the film. Just something I'd really love to see played out before my bulging eyes.[face_hypnotized]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.