main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will any one attempt...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jedimaster chris, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    6 TVs, 6 DVD players, all 6 films... all at the same time?

2. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    No but I did watch a 10 hour marathon of episodes IV, V, VI, I, and II all day. I was willing to see III but it was midnight.

3. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    hah no, that would melt my brain.

It's a cool idea, I might try watching up to 3 at once, when the DVD(s) come out.
    that might be comprehensible at least

lets see I'd probably watch

Revenge of the Sith + A New Hope
    Revenge of The Sith + Return of The Jedi
    The Phantom Menace + Revenge of The Sith
    1, 3,4 and 6 [face_idea]
    The Phantom Menace + Attack of The Clones
    Attack of The Clones + Empire Strikes Back
    Empire Strikes Back + Return of the Jedi

lol

anyone know the approx. run times of each one?

4. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I've done 5. Good times.

I discovered many subtle connections, and it's interesting to see that each movie has basically the same structure, with all the action sequences taking place at roughly the same times.

And the opening sequences of TPM/ANH and AOTC/ESB are visually so similar that it's almost creepy.

5. Nirnaeth

Nirnaeth Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    I noticed those similarities as well!
    They aren't creepy though :p
    They'r on purpose, GL remembered that peolple just adored the opening scene in ANH, so he made a similar one for TPM. Same with AotC/ESB

6. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    how are the opening sequences of AOTC & TESB similar?

would ne1 care to post screen shots to show it?

7. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    omg, I just watched the opening of EP1 and Ep3 simultaneously. This totally just added to my crazy TPM/ROTS "reversal theories". All these opposites happen at exactly the same time.

The first line in each movie happens simultaneously (TPM- Obi-Wan, ROTS- Anakin).
    Anakin: General Grievous's ship is directly ahead
    Obi-Wan: "I have a bad feeling about this"

Honestly, they happen to the second.

A few minutes later these lines happen at the same time:
    Obi-Wan says: "They have shield generators!" (TPM) simultaneously with
    Obi-Wan saying: "Well have you noticed the shields are still up?!"

This is only in the first five minutes.

There is also all the obvious - Jedi intending battle (in ROTS)/ Jedi intending negotiation (in TPM) opposites.
    I'm gonna go keep watching

8. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    interesting

u should try and watch ROTS compared with each of the other films to see if any other similarities arise

if u want to of course!

9. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    The most striking thing is how the probe in ESB and Padme's ship in AOTC disappear into the clouds.

10. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    that doesnt really make the openings similar

11. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    I only have the Prequel Trilogy on my PC, so I'll have to wait until all the DVDs come out before I try any of the others. I had a quick look if the opening of ATOC has any links to other openings, but I don't see it. Ep1 and Ep3 are the movies that seems prone to this kind of thing, but it might happen with other episodes, i'm not sure.

I think it helps to compare the three prequel opening crawls

First paragraphs:

The Phantom Menace:
    Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying Star Systems is in Dispute - Peaceful politics

Atack of The Clones:
    There is unrest in the Galactic Senate. Several thousand solar systems have declared their intentions to leave the Republic. - Uncertainty

Revenge Of The Sith:
    War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku.
    There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.
    - Full-scale War. Note the reference to Dooku as a Sith Lord in Ep3.

Second paragraphs:

Ep 1:
    Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo. - Introduction of TPM Seperatist droid leader.

Ep 2:
    This seperatist movement, under the leadership of the mysterious Count Dooku, has made it difficult for the limited number of Jedi Knights to maintain peace and order in the galaxy. - Introduction of AToC Seperatist Leader.

Ep 3:
    In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate. - Introduction of ROTS Seperatist droid leader, and his leader; Sidious.

3rd/ Final paragraphs:

Ep1:
    While the Congress of the Republic enlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched two Jedi Knights, the guardians of peace and justice in the Galaxy, to settle the conflict...

Ep3:
    As the Seperatist droid army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a desperate mission to rescue the captive Chancellor...

The last sentences of the Ep1/Ep3 opening crawls display many opposites/ contrasts.

TPM- 2 Jedi being dispatched by the Supreme Chancellor (Valorum).
    ROTS- 2 Jedi being dispatched to rescue the Supreme Chancellor who replaced Valorum.

TPM- Obi-Wan is the Padawan of the two Jedi.
    ROTS- Obi-Wan is the Master of the two Jedi.

TPM- The Jedi's mission is secret.
    ROTS- The Jedi's mission is "desperate", and we know from the novel that the whole Republic is waiting to hear if they have succeeded.

And compare the beginning of each sentence:

While the Congress of the Republic enlessly debates... - Peace

As the Seperatist droid army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage... - War

12. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    I'm watching Ep1 and Ep2 together at the moment. Lots of funny timing and contrasts. In fact, so many that i don't think they are all coincidences.
    From the versions of the movies I'm watching, these parts happen split-seconds apart:

This is the order of events after Padme's ships land at the start of ATOC:
    (Padme and her crew arrive on Coruscant)
    Obi-Wan:
    I Have a bad feeling about this.
    Qui-Gon:
    Don't centre on your anxieties Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here, and now, where it belongs.
    Obi-Wan:
    But master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future!
    (Padme's ship explodes)

[face_laugh] I love it!

Watto says hello as the characters enter his shop. This shot is very similar, and happens totally simultaneouly with Dex saying hello as Obi-Wan enters his shop. Freaky. Go watch it.

Yoda:
    "Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones."
    Qui-Gon (assertively):
    "It will be no different than if we land on a system controlled by the Trade Federation. Except the Hutts aren't looking for us."

Sidious - "He will find your lost ship."
    Instantly followed by Padme saying:
    Padme - "I do not like this idea of hiding."

As Anakin kindly hands Qui-Gon a fruit from the stand,
    Yoda says - "Truely wonderful the mind of a child is"
    Whoa

Shmi says to Jinn - "He gives without any thought of reward"
    as the Kaminoan says to Obi-Wan - "A bounty hunter by the name of Jango Fett. Apart from his pay, which is considerable..."

lol. This one is too funny to be an accident.

Edit-

WATCH EP1 and EP2 Together!

I just saw some huge links.

Anakin and Padme arrive at the Lars Homestead in ATOC as Shmi says in Ep1 "You cannot stop the change any more than you can stop the suns from setting."

Anakin says his goodbye to C-3P0 in TPM simultaneously with Anakin and Padme saying hello to C-3P0 again in ATOC.
    C3P0 - "Oh, The maker!"
    INSANITY, this had to be done on purpose.

Finally, Anakin and Shmi's goodbye scene happens at the same time that Clieg explains Shmi has been taken by the Tuskens.

13. i_dont_know

Aug 6, 2005
    sorry for the triple post, I noticed a few more:

TPM:
    Tusken raider shoots at Anakin's pod.

Simultaneous ATOC moment:
    "I have to help her."
    Anakin convincing Padme that he must go to Tatooine to help Shmi.
    He is heading off to try and save Shmi from the Tusken Raiders.
    Therefore, for the 2 seconds a Tusken shoots at him in Ep1, he says one of the most important comments about the Tuskens in Ep2. weird

TPM:
    Anakin
    "Only I..."
    Padme:
    "Miss your mother."

Simultaneous ATOC moment:
    Anakin sneaking towards Tusken village

Anakin's first meeting with the Council, when Yoda talks of Anakin's fear of loss, takes place at the same time as... you might have guessed it... Shmi's funeral. Mind blowing.
    Yoda: "Afraid to lose her, are you?" Meanwhile, I'm looking at Anakin going "I wasn't strong enough to save you, mom."

This has sealed it for me. This could not keep happening with the same theme by fluke.
    It seems the "loss of Shmi" links between Ep1 and Ep2 are numerous.
    Lucas has really put a lot towards his attachment theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.