main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Will Attack of the Clones considered a classic years from now?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by skyrimcat9416, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Do you think Attack of the Clones will be considered a classic several years from now?

If you don't know, when The Empire Strikes Back first came out back in 1980, it actually got mixed reviews by critics at the time. Believe or not, many didn't like how dark TESB was and that Darth Vader was revealed to be Luke's father. Most people thought it was very inferior to the Original Star Wars movie. It also performed the lowest numbers at the Box Office of all the original films.

But skip completely to 2014, and The Empire Strikes Back is considered by everyone and every Star Wars to be the best Star Wars film ever. Many people even consider it to be one of the best movies ever made. The Luke's Father twist is the most famous twist in cinema history and The Empire Strikes Back has been referenced by nearly everyone in pop culture from Movies/TV/Comedians/Memes/Parodies you name it.

So do you think Attack of the Clones will undergo the same status several years from now? AOTC is also considered to be the worst of the Prequels and the worst Star Wars film, but in the last couple of years I have a lot more people giving the film the love and I think if that continues, it could gain a huge cult status and become a classic for Star Wars several years from now.

So do you think Attack of the Clones gain a huge cult status several years from now?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not in my head.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not sure, but I hope so, since it's my fave of the prequels

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    No. It's been almost 12 years now. By the early 90's, all of the OT films had basically attained mythical status. If it hasn't happened to any of the prequel films yet, I don't see it ever happening.

6. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    No, but the bashing has toned down a bit in recent years.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Will be probably go back up just in time for VII :p

8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Will ATTACK OF THE CLONES be considered a classic years from now? I don't know. I'm not psychic. And the question of the movie's quality is basically subjective, regardless of the opinions of the franchise's fans and critics. I do know that after nearly nine years, both AOTC and EMPIRE STRIKES BACK are my two favorite Star Wars films.

That doesn't really mean anything. Who cares how many fans loved or hated certain movies or the entire saga? It's all subjective in the end. Sometimes I wonder if people truly realize how subjective movies and other forms of entertainment and art really are? It almost seems as if they don't want to admit it. Despite some reassurances that opinions on movies, television,etc. are subjective, many continue to spout this belief that if a certain percentage of the public feel a certain way about a work of art, it's the last word on that work of art.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Cryogenic like this.
  9. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Well Return of the Jedi getting kicked around because of ewoks didn't prevent it from becoming considered a classic.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's already considered a classic.

This will be a film long remembered
    /LM

11. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    If you personally consider it a classic, that's fine. I do too, especially considering the absurd number of times I watched it as a child, I can't hold it as anything less. But it is absolutely a valid thing to observe whether or not a work of art is considered a classic by society as a whole. There will always be dissenters, but the majority opinion, and the way it evolves over time, is always an important thing to take note of.

And the way I see it, from talking to people in real life and from the way the film is regarded in the media? The criticism has softened, and it's remembered as a spectacle from a visual standpoint, but it still is no where near the status of "classic" in the eyes of the general public. It has failed to penetrate the public consciousness on the same way that films like The Godfather, Lord of the Rings, or the original Star Wars did. But that's okay! You are still totally valid for loving the film. But it's also completely valid, and nothing less than important, to take note of how the film is ultimately regarded by the society.

12. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    Not just AOTC, but I strongly believe that the entire prequel trilogy will, in time, be regarded more highly, if not equal to, than the Original trilogy.

George Lucas didn't regress from the OT to the PT; he progressed from the OT to tell a greater trilogy. The Prequel trilogy has always been the better set of movies in comparison to the OT: stronger story, stronger characters, greater basic appeal, greater complex appeal, etc. The problem is that it's just never been widely recognized as so. That problem arose because of , unfortunately, the Star Wars fan base: namely, the OT fan base that tarnished both the PT and Lucas. This also ties back to the nostalgia problem--the white elephant in the room that no one apparently wants to admit to--which many people who grew up with the OT suffer from.

There's also a bit of a problem with the base that favors the PT. I've noticed that many who do favor the PT seem to be more quiet, more mellow, and content with just deflecting ignorant criticisms of the PT. I might even go as far as to say more timid, or more hesitant to say the least. Some who favor the PT speak half-heartedly, apparently incapable of advocating the PT without dropping an apologetic, good note on the OT. In other words, the pro-PT base seems to be weaker than its OT counterpart.

Because of these problems I mentioned, AOTC will not be be considered a classic anytime soon. It will not even have a remotely significant following in the near future either. Remember, the JC forums are not even a slightly accurate reflection of the reputation of the PT across media. On any other board, people relentlessly direct vitriol to the PT. I feel gratuitous for pointing out this reality but I can only guess you are not all too aware of just how much bile is spat at the PT from you're rather naive OP. Perhaps if you meant some decades by your "several years," then one might begin to see revisionism cast a different light on the PT, after many of the OT-ers have finally moved on. Not for a while, though.

13. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Komodo9Joe, have you ever done stand up comedy? Your hilarious.

14. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
  15. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
  16. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Barbecue17 likes this.
  17. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    AotC has never influenced culture beyond the SW fans. Many know of Vader, his reveal to Luke, Yoda and the force among other things that have stuck in the collective consciousness from Empire. I just don't see how AotC could ever have the same breakthrough to be widely considered classic. You don't have to have seen Empire or Casablanca or Godfather to know something about them. These movies have held their appeal across generations. AotC is for hardcore fans. It usually doesn't stand on it's own. I think new SW films are just gonna make it tougher on Clones. For almost twenty years there was only the OT. There's less and less of the pie for AotC. But you never know what the future holds.

Sarge and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  18. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    AOTC is the single worst star wars film.

I would actually recommend that fans only watch the OT and the Clone Wars Cartoon Network series.

19. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    AOTC is already becoming more and more of a classic...For a couple of rather cheesy/clunky scenes and lines (picnic and fireplace Anakin/Padme essentially) !!! :cool:

More seriously, it's pretty obvious the PT didn't have the same impact on pop culture and Society than the OT had back in the late 70's-early 80's. Like others mentioned, most people who don't know much about Star Wars have seen and heard about Lord Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo etc...Along with Star Wars/ANH phenomenal success at the Box Office in 1977-1978 in the US, destroying the gross and ticket sales previous records by far (except for Gone With the Wind).

While it's relevant to mention that ESB has gained cult status through the years, wasn't originally considered on par with ANH, had mixed reviews and disappointed some, it's doubtful, although not impossible, that the PT and any of it's movies will ever attain classic status in general audience's perception and consciousness.

Sure there could be a re-appraisal to some extent for AOTC, and there already has actually. As for the whole PT. But it could only become cult/classic among Star Wars fans I guess.

20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to the Prequel Trilogy forum

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Parts of it are anyway. Asteroid Chase, Execution Arena and Battle of Geonosis up to Lightsaber duel.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I am the OT fan base, and I didn't tarnish the PT or Lucas. They tarnished themselves. If you want to admire the emperor's new clothes, go ahead, but leave me out of it. The guy is naked and I don't want to see that.

23. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002

I rewatched AOTC recently.

It has no saving graces at all. It is garbage.

24. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Then why even come to this board?

Jarren_Lee-Saber, Samnz and Cryogenic like this.
  25. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

But really, stating your opinions as fact is the #1 reason why every other thread turns into OT vs PT. And evaluating AOTC on your own personal basis isn't even what this thread is about. The topic of this thread has nothing to do with our own opinion of the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.