main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Will Attack of the Clones considered a classic years from now?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by skyrimcat9416, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like AOTC, but I agree with this.

2. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Then why even come to this board?
    ----------------------

to share his/her opinion on a piece of art, same as you

AOTC is my fave too, but is it a "classic" in the definition of term? crap no.

3. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    TESB is my least favorite SW film and I find it to be the most overhyped of all 6 films. While I do like AOTC, and I do still like TESB, I don't see AOTC being accepted as a classic at large due to the internet hateboy complex. It is why the earlier post stating PT fans tend to be timid is true. They are afraid of being gang flamed on the internet by the hateboys or grown tired of arguing with the hateboys who have created this culture of fear and hate torwards the PT and it's fans on the net. Also most people want to belong to groups and fear being rejected by groups of people. I know in the past on different forums I have had hateboys jumb down my throat telling me that I am wrong or stupid for liking the PT. I just hope Disney ignores the hateboys.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Maul95 like this.
  4. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    ROTS may be considered classic or, at least, will be held in a higher regard (sorta like ROTJ status) a couple of years from now, but, as much as I love these films, I don't see it happening to AOTC or TPM.

I do hope tough than the hatred for the latter two will definitely vanish on time and they will finally be seen as what they are: two good but flawed additions to the Star Wars saga.

5. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    But he had already expressed said opinion. Would it been better had I phrased it "then why even return to this board" instead? I mean, the topic had been moved from the Saga board to the PT board, and he wasn't even quoted or "upvoted" on his initial post. So he had to, more or less, go out of his way to return to the topic to become antagonistic about his views. Why? Is it really necessary*?

*Anymore "necessary" than posting on any forum, for any reason already is

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    To me this thread should be about the PT,in general.

And from what I can, and maybe wrong, see of what the PT means to people. They are turning or will turn into cult classics. But not CLASSICS in the sense of Casablanca, the OT or others of the sort.

However I disagree that the ATOC didnt infuse itself in pop culture because when you see the many Yoda parodies and homages there since ATOC, especially little guys fighting very awesomely. Yoda's duel is still some very inbeded in pop culture. Aldo tech wise the PT still was very influential.

So to me...the PT in general shall be considered cult classics. Either for being underappreciated or for being guilty pleasures.

7. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    It depends on what qualifies a movie as a classic. For example, cultural influence is an aspect of why The Godfather, Casablanca, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Alien are considered classics. A New Hope had both a massive cultural influence and a massive influence on the film industry insofar as the way films were made. Then you've got cult classics - though you'd have a hard time arguing that films that made as much money at the box office as the prequels can be considered cult classics.

A New Hope, or Star Wars as it was known then, is considered a classic for kicking the trilogy off, ushering a new era of cinema in and revolutionising the film making process.

The Empire Strikes Back is widely considered a classic for the big reveal at the end, introducing Yoda and generally for being considered the most competently directed of the Saga (I happen to agree with this point of view).

After those as far as a wider pop culture impact it's probably Phantom Menace, known for the massive hype train and people being annoyed at Jar Jar Binks and out of place poo jokes. Unfortunately neither of those things in themselves make it a classic.

Also I love the idea that it's just the internet haters that are keeping the world from seeing what fantastic films the prequels are. Right on.

8. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Nope. I really don't see it happening.

AOTC, even with its problems of story, dialogue, pacing, etc. was enjoyable to watch (while fast forwarding the love dialogue). But not a classic. Not even a cult classic.

Films like Blade Runner, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Planet of the Apes, Alien are sci fi movies that are considered classics. They went beyond the screen and really had impact on the world around them. They still do as they are constantly referenced, spoofed, analyzed and attempts to reboot or continue their stories. Now, AOTC is analyzed and spoofed but for the wrong reasons lol.

As a crude but effective critic once said, "IG-88 is cooler than Dexter Jettster and his 50s diner."

Sarge and Samuel Vimes like this.
  9. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, I think some give way too much credit to a few Internet hate trolls.

The PT has gotten a fair bit of bashing and some of it I think is excessive, not to mention rude, insulting and generally stupid. But not ALL the criticism towards AotC or the PT falls in this category.
    I think the film has flaws and problems and to me they prevent the film from being great or even very good. It is a little above average.

Blade Runner did not do well in it's initial release and got very mixed reviews. But about ten years later we had the release of the Director's Cut and the film had started to be re-evaluated. It's influence was also starting be seen in various places.

It has been 12 years for AotC and yes the more excessive hatred has died down but I don't see any significant re-evaluation happening. The PT just has not made as big an impact on the world as the OT, nothing more.

About ESB, a few facts to consider.
    1) It was the no 1 film at the BO by a significant margin. It made twice as much as the second film.
    Which was "9 to 5."
    2) Back then sequels hardly ever outgrossed the previous film. The Godfather II made less than the first one.
    Smokey and the Bandit II, which was also released in 1980, made much less than the original.
    3) The gross of ANH's initial release, according to some site, was about 215 M$, compared with ESB's 200M$.
    From the-numbers.com.
    So not that much of a difference.
    4) ESB got more mixed/negative reviews yes but it is hard to get a totally accurate picture of that because we don't have access to ALL the reviews made at the time.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

Barbecue17 likes this.
  10. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    But this is not an "art forum", this is the prequel section of a Star Wars fan forum. I was once told that this was not a fan forum, but I've found proof in the meantime and it reads:
    There is still the possibility that Ezekial is a fan of garbage. I'm not sure though....

Back on topic:
    "Classic" is a cultural thing. So you'd have to define the culture in which AOTC could or could not be a "classic" in the future.
    See: When I'm on Enlish-speaking websites reading articles about Star Wars, a lot of times I see the terms "prequels" and "original trilogy" - all that separation is really present. When I'm on websites in my native language, though, that has basically disappeared (except for explicit fan or perhaps film sites). So there is a difference.

So I'd say AOTC has a better chance of becoming a "classic" in some parts of the world where Star Wars is just Star Wars and many of these catogorizations are not there than in the USA. I still think it will become "more classic" in the US as well - just because at some time in the furture that still present "it's hip to hate" appoach will shade. It may take abother ten years, though. The ST could accelerate things.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  11. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Film is art, but never mind :p

this is not the forum for this,

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I honestly think that non-fans see Star Wars on the whole as classic. The individual episodes are just parts of it and the more there are, the harder it is for the general public to tell them apart, regardless of quality.
    The series does owe its status largely to Luke's Trilogy, but that's because it came first (Anakin's Trilogy, on the other hand, is responsible for a lot of the series' popularity today).
    It's the same with the characters. People are aware of figures like Jar Jar, Anakin and Padmé, but the characters that were introduced to us through ANH likely seem more classic to the general public. When you think about it, that movie is, generally speaking, far more classic than any other individual episode. Since it's the film that started it all and revolutionized the movie industry, that's only to be expected.

Revolutions will be remembered
    /LM

13. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Blade Runner became a classic after the fact. Name some redeeming qualities of Attack of the Clones. Blade Runner's artistic achievements are numerous. And it didn't need CGI

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It already is for me, and that's my only criteria for considering a movie a classic. It was my favorite movie growing up, so it is the ultimate nostalgia trip for me. I love it.

15. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    Hey I like Back to the Future, but that doesn't make it a classic.

It did give me the impulse to skate behind a car though.

16. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I like it, but my definition of classic may differ from everyone else. Personally, I don't think of it as a 'classic' but that doesn't detract from the movie's quality in any way.

skyrimcat9416 and Darkslayer like this.
  17. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Back to the Future is a classic.

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yes, that does make it a classic - to you.

Classics are personal
    /LM

19. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013

But it does. You're contradicting yourself. We need to define classic.

20. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Both films share a paranoia theme in which everything is not what it seems. The air speeder chase is a great action scene which hilights the bond Anakin and Obi-Wan had and it also shows some of Anakin's anger problems. I find Padme acts alot like Marion Ravenwood from Raiders in AOTC, even delivering her lines in the same manner. (watched both last night and was surprised by the similarities). How the line between the good guys and the bad guys is more blurred than in the OT. The CIS was fighting for free trade afterall which the Republic was trying to restrict with taxes from TPM. Anakin's failure at rescuing his mother and flipping out then regretting are great scenes, the asteroid fight, Dooku trying to turn Obi-Wan and putting doubt in his mind. The arena battle, Dooku's lightsaber fight with the Jedi, and the closing montage are excellent.

Also I did find Dexter's diner being cool and found IG88 to be nothing really. Just some background prop that just stands there and overhyped by the EU. What doesn't the EU overhype.

Most of the PT hate I find is only online, in the real world I run into very little PT hate, it's mostly online in Nerd culture, aka Nerd highschool mentality groupthink.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This is a thread about "reasons AoTC could be or become a Classic" - no need to complain about EU.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I thought Back to the Future was considered a classic

skyrimcat9416 likes this.
  23. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    No, I don't think of AotC as a classic -to me, 'classic' is a loosely defined word that has little meaning to me. Nevertheless, I still appreciate AotC.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Back to the Future is a classic. Nobody should be allowed to die without seeing that movie.

As I said, I like AOTC, but people could die without seeing it and their lives would have been no less meaningful. Darth Vader will not come down from the planet Vulcan and melt their brains via classic Van Halen on a Walkman.

And FFS, let's not get into arbitrary definitions of who is and is not a "fan." There is no reason for anyone to be offended by someone else calling AOTC "garbage" other than the AOTC scriptwriters.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I've seen mods step in when the term keeps getting hurled at one or the other Star Wars work- "bashing" in general seems to be frowned on.

Maybe because this is a fanforum.

Now criticisms- they're allowed- but when they become "bashing" then intervention happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.