main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Benicio del Toro grow into a legendary actor?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DUSHONI, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    -Traffic

-Snatch

-The Usual Suspects

-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

-The Pledge

He's had a pretty good body of work so far....what do you guys think? I feel that he has incredible range...

2. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    i am also a huge Benicio Del Toro fan, he has been awesome in every movie i've seen him in. however, up until now he has really only had supporting roles. he has a new movie coming out called "the hunted" but once again he is playing second fiddle, this time to tommly lee jones. he is one of my favorite actors, but i would like to see him really carry a film before i put him in the legend category. i am actually really surprised that he hasn't taken on any leading roles since winning his academy award.

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    As a fellow Puerto Rican, I am proud of his achievements as an actor. He looks like he could be the next Raul Julia. But like deltron said, he has yet to really branch out as a leading actor. If he continues to choose his projects carefully and if he finally gets the leading role in a film, I see him becoming one of the most respected actors of his generation.

4. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    He's a brilliant actor. No doubt there. Even the movies where he is cruising like "The Way of the Gun" he's still fantastic.

"Franky Four Fingers" is my favorite Del Toro character even though it's WAY too short of a role.

"Is that a tea cozy he has on his head?" :p

"I am not in Rome. I am in a rush" :D

5. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    Good point Deltron.....I would like to see him CARRY a film....I'd like to maybe see him in a role of a man that has lost his way and finds redemption....something that shows great diversity as an actor....

"I'm not looking for Vegas, and I'm not looking for legal! I'm looking for Frankie -*******-Four-Fingers, Doug!!"

-Dennis Farina, Snatch

6. The_Maker

The_Maker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    he did the best mumbling i've seen in a film since marlon brando

7. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    He's completely brilliant. In the commentary track on "Way of the Gun" the director basically says that everything Del Toro does in the movie was Del Toro's idea.

He is among a group of truly outstanding actors in this current generation (also included in this group would be Don Cheadle)....actors with talents so vast that they rarely get to show them all on the screen.

8. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    Another role I really enjoyed of Benicio's, though also a supporting one, was as Jean Michel's best friend in the film Basquiat. I am still amazed over his portrayal of Doctor Gonzo in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He is already legendary in my estimation for his sizzling acting, but whether he will become a household name remains to be seen. I suppose it depends on the kind of roles, and how mainstream they are, he chooses in the future. Much respect given to Benicio!

9. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I foresee him being similar to his costar in Fear and Loathing, Johnny Depp. He will always gravitate to more...outlandish or unusual roles.

10. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    He is such a brilliant actor. I believe that he is so much better than Crowe....a world better. BUT, he does not have the traditional good looks that hollywood craves so much. He has more talent than most of the pretty boys, but face it people, talent really has little to do with success in hollywood.

Kathy Bates, a brilliant actress...brilliant. Where is she now?

I fear the same fate for Benito......I will cry.

11. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    I loved him in License to Kill.

12. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    You know where Kathy Bates is today? She's directing episodic television.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    yeah, he's really good! I love the way he created Fenster just completely out of nowhere for The Usual Suspects. He's one of my favourite parts of my favourite movie :D

I haven't seen much of his other work, but what I have seen (like Traffic) has been great.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.