main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Carrie Fisher's death affect Kylo Ren's fate?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Cody2017, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Cody2017

Cody2017 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2017
    Something I noticed in both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi is Kylo Ren's attitude towards his mother. While he resented Han and despised Luke, he doesn't seem to have any hard feelings when it comes to Leia. In fact, I don't think he ever brings her up.
    I've heard that the original plan for the sequel trilogy was that each episode focused on one of the three OT characters, and that Leia's was supposed to be Episode IX.
    I have no idea what Kylo Ren's fate will be, and for all we know it could've been decided before The Force Awakens even started filming, but it seems to me like he would be more likely to survive the trilogy if Carrie Fisher were still alive to play Leia. The idea of Leia losing her entire family is harsh.
    But since we won't be seeing Leia in Episode IX, it might as well be up in
    the air.

On a side note, after rewatching The Last Jedi at the drive in, I realized that at the end of the movie, Kylo probably wasn't aware that his mother was with the Resistance, and thought she died earlier. He also may not have realized Rey was in the Falcon with Chewie. It would make sense he was content with taking no survivors on Crait; the only two people he cared about weren't around.

Thoughts?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    It should not matter in universe.
    Leia should be recast and the character continue as clearly intended.

The best way to honor Carrie is finish the effort she put a lot of her life into.

Aetius888 likes this.
  3. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I don't believe so but a very special component will unfortunately be missing from the story.

cut-of-space likes this.
  4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Very interesting point. Even though I watched it twice it didn't yet occur to me whether or not Kylo was focused enough to bother sensing his mother on Crait. I'll go with him being too distracted by his confrontation with Luke to even consider Leia being still around. Also, could be me, but did he even assume Rey was part of the Crait battle before he force sensed her boarding the Falcon after rescuing the remaining Resistance?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. Jedi_Master_Laker

Jedi_Master_Laker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    The most influential character to Kylo right now is Anakin. He relates to him the most, he would be the only one who could cause him to rethink his decisions.

wobbits, rebelknight1, panki and 2 others like this.
  6. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    No. Kylo Ren/Ben Solo actions are the only thing that should affect his fate.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm very much against a recast, personally. I'm a fan of "the character died with them". Put simply to me, Carrie is Leia. That simple. Now that being said, if there were plans to have some influence on Kylo, whether it'd lead to his redemption or some other path for his character, it can be with other characters. Hayden's said he's willing to do ghost Anakin scenes. I'm almost certain we'll see Luke ghost scenes. Whatever fate the character had in store before can still be done

Yora, wobbits, Lulu Mars and 5 others like this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I think it will alter the path but not the destination.

9. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Seeing as Kylo is very much set on his "Let the Past die" mentality, I doubt he'll be that torn up, especially if a few years have past. By the time IX starts I expect him to be fully consumed by his anger, hatred and fears. I don't think Leia not being there is going to matter much to him and if anything, he'd probably be furious that she's become a symbol of hope against his First Order.

11-4D and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  10. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    In spite of everything Kylo Ren did in TLJ about letting the past die, I'd still like it if he ended up being more torn/distraught/upset about Leia's death (if that's the path they take) than he expects. We're all hypocrites when it comes to our feelings

Yora, Lulu Mars and jaqen like this.
  11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Kylo Ren couldn't even pull the trigger on Leia. Him not being able to kill her, but her giving up on him? Yeah, I think it's fair to say that was going to be a HUGE component of 9. The destination can still be reached, but it'll never be as good without Carrie.

Yora and jaqen like this.
  12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    There are still drive-ins?

I assumed he did sense his mother surviving. She sensed him killing Han.

But an interesting and important question.

Billy_Dee_Binks and panki like this.
  13. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Yea I think it's a given that Force ghost Anakin needs to visit Kylo in this trilogy.

14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I think we should see a parallel to Anakin. They are similar characters in some respects with mirroring journeys. Kylo wants desperately to fulfill Vader's goals and I'm pretty sure he's going to find out what that means.

It's interesting. Anakin fell to the dark side, in a desperate attempt to save his family. Ben Solo (for some reason) has fallen to the dark side, in an attempt to move beyond his family. He sees his connections to family as a weakness, and needs to kill his past, his family, in order to be great. Those are opposing complexes.

It's kind of like the Godfather in a way. Vito Corleone, much like Anakin, built his empire and grew into a dark lord, in an attempt to make his family strong and protected. Because of this, Vito was deeply respected, feared, and even loved. At the end of his life, much like Vader, he still cared deeply for his family and his family cared for him. However, his son Michael, much like Kylo, set out to protect the family destiny from being destroyed by new orders, by new times, and in doing so, killed his own family one by one. At the end of GF2, we see a very alone Michael, who finally realizes his mistakes, all too late.

I think a similar fate awaits Kylo once Leia is gone and Kylo is now truly 'killed' his past. I think Leia's death will be the crux of his dark journey. I think it would serve the story well, to see a Kylo who is this dark figure, complexly shut off from family, from friends, from allies. Perhaps he's totally isolated now. Totally untrusting. Perhaps we see him start off in mourning his mother's death, and it dawns on him how powerless he still is. And I still don't think he'll be saved. I don't think that's his journey. I think we're meant to see what happens to figures who follow this path.

It could be kind of interesting if in their final fight, Rey and whatever new Jedi she has with her all definitely state that they are Skywallkers. A Skywalker Knight. Or ... Order of the Skywalkers. They choose to be Skywalkers, whereas Kylo, the real scion of his family, has chosen not.

I think the last movie is set up to also be about rebellions. Not just from the good guys, but maybe we could see Finn help the stormtroopers rebel against the FO. Maybe Hux and the other FO leaders rebel against the crazy mad king Kylo, who isn't respected like Snoke, or even Vader was.

15. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I think some Of her interface will be transferred to Rey.

Yora and jaqen like this.
  16. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Man is the concept art book for 9 gonna be a keeper, all the ideas and what was supposed to be.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  17. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I think they could shift some of Leia's impact on Kylo to Anakin's force ghost interacting with him, and if they are going for a redemption story, he could also discover the voice recording Leia made for him in the Bloodline novel (which can even be made by a voice actress instead of a role recast) or find her old keepsake chest with the music box that plays the lullaby "Mirrorbright" (cue the waterworks)

wobbits and cut-of-space like this.
  18. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Wow... thank you for writing this up, I love your these ideas! Especially finding a voice recording of Leia, that idea makes me feel very warm inside. A voice recast would be a great solution to this sad problem.

Yora and panki like this.
  19. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Agree with a lot except they are Skywalkers. Skywalkers don’t have a patent on being Jedi anymore than Jedi have a patent on the Force. It’d be interesting if Anakin and Luke help Rey take down Ren, ending the Skywalkers.

20. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Considering the whole theme of the Saga is wrapped up in compassion, forgiveness, atonement and winning by saving the ones we love, I highly doubt we will get a nihilistic ending of just deserts.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  21. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Not necessarily nihilistic. Nihilistic is emptiness of any meaning.

22. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    And ending 42 years of a Skywalker saga with death and retribution is totally meaningful. *eyeroll*

Yora, RKR and cut-of-space like this.
  23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Still not nihilistic.