main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Darth Vader Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Apr 8, 2014.

?

Do You Think Vader Will Be Included in Ep VII?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2014.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    what happens at the Academy is one of the things I want to know the most, if rumors are true, as it seems to be the key to the entire movie, as it was the last appearance of Luke in the Galaxy.[face_thinking]

2. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I think he'll show up, but as a flashback.

They will use the flashback to explain who this other (A.S.) character (Uber) is.

I'm sure we'll see what's left of the funeral pyre on Endor. Somebody goes back there to retrieve it.

3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I was one of those dorks that camped out at Star Wars Celebration waiting for the JJ Abrams panel and new trailer. I purposely waited a week before coming here in hopes everyone got everything out of their system.

Honestly I thought there would be more talk on Vaders melted helmet (is it in another thread?)

Anyhow what's your guys theory on why its in the trailer?

I totally believe the crowbared it in for fan service, but storywise I guess Adam Drivers character Kylo Ren must find it along with that old lame-o lightsaber and starts his own sith club.

What do you guys think?

4. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    So did Luke just let the body and suit burn and take off? Not even cleaning up the mess?

I'm also assuming the Ewoks just left it there as well.

Is the theory the evil spirit of Vader is in what's left of the helmet and suit?

5. DarthCatbeard

DarthCatbeard Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2014
    I'm starting to suspect they've ran with the whole Anakin and Vader being two different beings inside the same shell thing. That for decades Vader had been searching for the key to immortality and succeeded. Uber is Vader but like Voldermort for some time before the films is a disassociated spirit, a voice only, communicating to Ren with the old mask as a conduit. The zombie Serkis is playing is his spirit finally somehow becoming corpreal. It wouldn't make sense for him to be voiced by JEJ because that voice was artificial but a deep natural voice could work.

It would explain who's been training Ren, why he has the mask, why Hayden Christiensen is the force ghost in ROTJ, why the first order is more like Vaders way of running the Empire. It creates a significant threat to the new hero's, it means the saga continues to be the story of Anakin/Vader. I dunno, you can guarantee they'd have considered every single possible way to bring Vader back in some form though

6. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

The busted Vader's helmet has been rumored for a long time now. I think most people here are not surprised by it's appearance. It's usually talked about in the various rumors threads.

7. JediJurist

JediJurist Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    Yes to the above as a possibility.

I personally don't think we'll see Vader or Anakin in the flesh in the ST. But the OP was onto something as we do know Vader's presence will be felt in the ST (see, e.g., Vader's Helmet in TFA Teaser #2).

Answering the OP's question of how Vader/Anakin himself might be re-introduced in the ST if Disney demanded it, I could see a few possible scenarios.

(1) A Resurrection of Vader/Anakin (most likely possibility): For all those saying Plagueis is back, it would be just as likely that Palpatine or Vader/Anakin could come back. Reasoning: (a) In ROTS, the two of them had a stated goal of learning to cheat death, (b) Plagueis supposedly knew or was learning how to cheat death, (c) Palpy was Plagueis' apprentice and learned from him, and (d) Palpy and Vader together are arguably more powerful and capable of learning how to obtain the power to cheat death than was Plagueis.

This scenario gives more weight to Anakin and Palpatine's discussion in ROTS and allows for potential future back stories on how Vader and Palpatine came to achieve this power and created a plan for their future resurrections.

Or, Kylo could be Vader/Palpatine-nutjob who continued their studies on cheating death, and ultimately achieves it--resurrecting Vader and/or Palpatine in Episode VIII and/or IX.

A great twist would be if Kylo resurrects Palpatine, who continues his baddie ways, and Luke and the good guys resurrect (or allow Kylo to resurrect) Anakin because they need his help defeating Palpatine and the bad guys for good. That is, Luke is presumably the only person who knows that Vader turned away from the Dark Side just before his initial death--so they resurrect him (or allow him to be resurrected by the baddies) hoping he's still on the good guy side. Then, resurrected Anakin fulfills his destiny bringing balance to the force by destroying all the baddies.

If he is resurrected, it would be interesting to see what form he comes back to life as -- Young Hayden/Anakin or Vader-suit-and-all, or an old man....

(2) Vader Never Died in ROTJ (unlikely possibility): Obviously hard to execute since we've seen Anakin's force ghost in ROTJ. The story would be that Luke somehow saved his dad and kept him alive after getting him off the Death Star and out of his suit. Luke then burned his suit hoping people would think he was dead, giving his father a new opportunity to live out the rest of his life (presumably in a new non-Vader life suit).

Here, Max Von Sydow or some other actor could be playing a very, very old Anakin in TFA. They'd have to explain or edit out the Anakin force ghost from ROTJ--something I don't think they could pull off well but writers can be very creative.

8. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    You guys definitely have some good thoughts. Here's my full blown take on it:

Plagueis never died because he actually achieved the art of not dying. Plapatine lied to Anakin. Instead Plapatine entombed Plagueis somehow and that is where Luke is, guarding that tomb.
    • Vader/Anakin and Palpatine actually die in ROTJ.
    • Since there are no more Sith, there is no one to hand down the Sith history/tradition.
    • Han and Leia have two kids: Rey and Kylo. Kylo at a young age watches his uncle Luke as a Jedi and becomes interested in the Force.
    • Luke tells Leia and Han that he thinks it's best that Kylo DOESN'T learn the ways of the force because he senses the darkside in him.
    • Luke goes off to guard Plagueis for like 20 years.
    • Rey goes off to fo her thing on Jakku.
    • Kylo starts getting obsessed with the darkside and goes on an artifact finding mission.
    • He finds that lame triple bladed lightsaber.
    • He also makes it to Endor where the local Ewoks stay far away from the remains of Vader because it is strong with the Darkside (like the Dagobah cave)
    • He then becomes a self taught sith.

9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    It is interesting how any Imperial would know where Darth Vader was cremated at on Endor. If Kylo Ren is a relative of the Skywalker line it would make sense he would know where it is because his uncle Luke told him as a child.

Kylo Ren joining the Dark Side and becoming a cyborg through some sort of accident when he was young would be a very valid reason for Han and Leia to have split up for years and the Solo family to sort of fragment apart to find themselves. It would also be a reason for Luke to stay away for many years as well in isolation if he was the one who trained him in the Force and lost him as a student.

Han and Leia obviously marry after Endor. Perhaps after they debate having children the midst of a galactic civil war and giving their children to Luke to be trained as a Jedi.

I could imagine Leia wants her son to Luke to be trained in the ways of the Force. Han opposes it because he thinks its too dangerous to leave their children alone as they all have target on their backs. Luke trains him to be a Jedi despite this, loses him during an Imperial ambush which leaves him injured and maybe raised for years by some sort of New Order warlord. The loss of their older son causes the rift in the Solo and Skywalker family.

phatdude1138 and StarKiller81 like this.
  10. JediJurist

JediJurist Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    What if Serkis' voice over ("there has been an awakening") is actually Plagueis talking to Luke who is guarding him? And when he says "the dark and the light" he's referring to the beginning of Kylo's resurrection of Palpatine (dark) and Anakin (light, due to his pre-death switch back from the dark side)....

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If we do see Anakin's Force Ghost, then I hope that he gets AT LEAST one scene with Leia. That dynamic was one of the biggest missed opportunities of the OT. It'd be really interesting to see how they interact. What would he say to her, would she be as quick to forgive him as Luke was (I rather doubt it), etc? So much potential there.

12. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

What would he say? Meh, he'd whine about it all being Obi-Wan/Yoda/All Jedi's fault, and she'd ask why he was pausing on his trip to Hell because she wasn't buying what he was selling. What's to forgive? He was exactly what she probably thinks he was, before and after he "turned" imo.

13. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    I don't think Vader will be in it per se, but the fact that they showed his destroyed mask in the trailer means they're going to work his legacy into the narrative somehow.

Millennium Fairlane likes this.
  14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I can't see what the point would be. And even if it had some validity, it instantly presents the huge conundrum as to exactly who they choose to play the part of Anakin's ghost? Personally, I think they would give Hayden a wide berth. And in addition, I don't think Hayden has much love for the franchise, taking in to account the seemingly universal criticism he had to endure after the Prequels.it ruined him. I don't believe,(if offered) he would even consider it as some sort of opportunity at redemption for himself as an actor. Ok, it's a payday I suppose. But how much lost esteem are you realistically going to garner by appearing in a scene (2 at best) as a ghost? Hayden would (IMO) politely say 'thanks, but no thanks' if approached.

15. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    I'm not sure what real discussion there is about Vader here. Clearly he is not part of this movie.

The helmet, some flashback scenes at most. A few conversation about the past. I don't see how Vader factors in much here really.

Jcuk likes this.
  16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Totally agree. It's quite surprising this thread has made it to 13 pages really. Anakin/Vader's story has been told, and it came replete with a very significant full stop at its end. There was never any question that could be left open to interpretation about Anakin's death. In addition, I believe that if a force ghost is to appear in the ST? It will be Luke's. And his alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.