main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Darth Vader Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Apr 8, 2014.

?

Do You Think Vader Will Be Included in Ep VII?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2014.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh myyyyyy.

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think even a spin off Vader story/film is problematic in terms of it appealing to a mass audience. I think either leave Vader out of it completley, bring him back as a supporting character 'only' (in a a spin off film) or just bring back his likeness in the ST e.g. his armour being used by the villain/villains.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader could have a role as big as that of Magneto in First Class, but as the main protagonist? He is ****ing evil and people prefer to root for the good guys. So even though it's Vader, it would be a huge challenge to make a Vader spinoff work.

4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The only real spin off IMHO, strongly featuring Vader, which would have the legs (so to speak) to appeal to a wider audience... would be a Jedi purge one i.e. straight after the events of ROTS, Vader is tasked with hunting down the remaining Jedi. I think there's enough wiggle room in the events of the PT and OT that Obi-Wan and Vader could have met again. I'd have liked to have seen Obi-Wan try to turn Anakin back from the Darkside. But yes, any spin off will need a central protagonist for it to have wide general appeal.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  5. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    T

They could have a clone of Vader leading the Empire at the start of Episode VII. Shameless money grab, sure, but I can't say I wouldn't do it myself if billions were on the line.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Legacy comics volume 1 issue 11 Ghosts Part 1. That's the only way I want to see Vader.
    Or the Cave.

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I agree with this. In fact, I'd really like for this to happen so that Vader's line about how "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" will finally make sense.

Darth PJ likes this.
  8. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Not sure what angle to reply to: Will Vader be in Ep 7 or Should Vader be in Ep. 7?

My answer to both is no...at least I sincerely hope not.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    It would have to be in a flashback or vision. Why? Because he's dead, in fact he's dead twice. He's literally dead & he's "spiritually dead". As we saw at the end of Jedi the spirit form has reverted back to the form of Anakin Skywalker. Darth Vader could only appear in a flashback or vision, & if it's done well & is an important & natural part of the story then I'm all for it.

RobShanti and plaidphoenix like this.
  10. ReigningHope

ReigningHope Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2014
    Unless JJ decided that there were copies of Vader's mask lying around on Coruscant or force ghost Anakin (I really don't care about whether or not it's Hayden or Shaw) counts as Vader, no.

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Copies of his mask or someone wearing a Vader suit isn't Darth Vader the character, so that's not what this thread is asking.

12. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I want to see someone wearing a t-shirt that says, Darth Vader force choked my father and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!"

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I guess my idea of a recording is unpopular.
    I have all these pictures in my head. Vader in a lab, coldly doing something evil on test subjects. Maybe draining life energy into some artifact of sorts.
    How chilling would that be?

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    A recording is another good option. If/when the Alliance gets hold of all of the Emperor's archives & dark secrets, who knows what they'll find.

plaidphoenix and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Works for me.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Exactly. Who knows what unfathomable evil was committed by Vader and the Emperor during those two decades? Except for sexual violence, there is basically no limit to what they could've done. And in my opinion, rectifying the sins of the father (or grandfather) would be a great motive for the ST and a meaningful connection.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I could see Vader showing up in either a vision or a holorecording. I don't think either will be enough to hang marketing on, but I also don't think Disney will be as worried about not being able to use Vader to market these movies as some people seem to.

18. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah he was a focus of the marketing for RotS & was on screen for 2 minutes. I don't think that was entirely unjustified, but if he shows up briefly in Ep7 I hope they don't focus on it in the lead up. I'd rather they try & keep it under wraps & make it a surprise. A bit like they did for the Arnold/T-800 in Terminator Salvation.

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I agree. It made sense to use him extensively in the marketing for Episode III because the whole point of the story in the prequels was about how Anakin became Vader, and that was the film in which it actually happened. If he were glimpsed for some reason in the ST, there wouldn't be a strong enough narrative reason to lean on the imagery, and if someone else were to don the suit, I think the chances are high that many people would call foul.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't quite agree... As it stands, and IMO, most people perceive Darth Vader as the suit, rather than Anakin Skywalker. So I think the question 'Will Darth Vader be in Ep VII' is more figurative than literal (based on the mask rather than the man) because even a flashback or a recording would be a 'figurative' rather than 'literal' representation of him. I'm not discounting the notion of him being a vision or recording... it's highly probable. But I think the most effective way to bring Vader back, or at least bring back what he represented, would be for someone else/others to be wearing the same/similar costume. I think that's the best way of bringing back Vader figuratively, without having to literally bring back a fallen Anakin Skywalker. As I pointed out prior... that's basically what they did with Jango Fett and the clonetroopers. Jango and the clones were the figurative representation of Boba and the stormtroopers for the PT. And I personally thought that idea worked well.

Vohnkar and Immortiss like this.
  21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Pretty lame, imo. Vader is more than the suit. He isn't Boba Fett. His personality, his voice, his body language, all of that is important in the Vader package.

dyous87 and Darth_Downunder like this.
  22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    His voice is synthetic isn't it? Why would that have to change? As for the body language... yes I'd agree that Prowse had a unique gait... but that's really not going to put anyone off making another film with Vader in it if... 1) There's a compelling narrative reason. 2) There's a good commercial reason.

I think it's also worth remembering that back in 98/99, there were many fans who balked at the notion that Darth Vader was a Sith title. That there were several other Darth's in the PT only helped enrich canon and didn't take anything away from Darth Vader in the OT (IMHO)...

plaidphoenix and Immortiss like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You're right, his voice wouldn't change. But the personality would be different and thus the replacement would be nothing more than a weak pretender.

I would hope they are not so creatively broke that they now create copycat characters.

I don't know. Would there be a great difference if all the Sith were simply called Lord soandso? Probably not.

dyous87 and TheManFromMortis like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Darth Soandso was in the earlier draft of the script.

TheManFromMortis and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    PJ, what are you not agreeing with? That a guy in a Vader suit isn't Darth Vader? That's not open for debate - he's not. DV is a person & at the time of Ep7 he's a dead person. If a guy turns up in the suit anyone who's seen RotJ will be pretty sure it's not really him. It will also be the first thing Luke, Leia & everyone in the film will say about him.

That you could have an imposter is a valid point. That's a possibility in the story...but that's not Darth Vader, it's an imposter. So it's not what this thread is asking.

Also, a flashback of a character is a literal appearance. If a character appears in a scene, who cares what time frame that scene is set in? That character has appeared in the movie. Plenty of films play around with timelines & include flashbacks & flash forwards. That doesn't mean if someone appears in a flashback he's only appearing "figuratively".

Darth_Pevra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.