main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Disney needlsessly sexualize it's female characters as Lucas did?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Yodahasgreenfeet, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    We have some idea how Disney treats it's princesses and markets them to young girls, women and every one else. Technically Star Wars has always gotten away with the "sexualization" of it's characters.
    Disney has made more adult films, such as Pirates of the Caribbean... Which had an inspired PG-13 rating at the time of it's own release because of sexual innuendos.

There is clear sexual tension in the OT and needless sexualization of it's female characters. The PT too...

Such as AOTC where her breasts are popping out of her dress and a very sexually frustrated Anakin is filming the world's must awkward scene possible.

Not to mention in her fight scenes they needlessly rip apart her clothing in a very provocative way...

Of course Leia got the same treatment with the metal bikini in ROTJ.

I don't feel that Disney is known for sexualizing it's princesses or making them into sex objects. I've seen a few other George Lucas movies like THX1138, which I've heard being criticized for it's masturbation scenes.

There was a photoshoot sexualizing C3PO and R2D2 , with a comedian a little after Disney had acquired the license, and Disney felt the need to speak out against it. It was using the same if not just similar metal bikini as before.
    http://www.etonline.com/news/168232_disney_doesn_t_approve_of_amy_schumer_sexy_star_wars_shoot/Mark Hammil a Star Wars legend approved of it. :D

Maybe it went just one step too forward or backwards for Disney.

Maybe you don't believe that the OT or PT had any sexually awkward or overly sexualized moments. It may have never been intentional. For instance much of the supposed un-necessary sexualization of Disney films seems to be subjective or due to an over active imagination. People some times see what they want to, or mis read everything as if it has a sexual subtext or is an innuendo or some sort of metaphor or form of subliminal imagery... when some times a cigar is just a cigar. We all know that the PT was directed in a some what awkward direction at times. The AOTC clip above is a good example, which to me looks like he's about to jump her and rape her... Fans have certainly over sexualized star wars a google image or video search would make most blush... That shows us that a lot of our minds are in the gutter, perhaps everything is over sexualized in our minds, even when it shouldn't be. We've come accustomed to seeing so many examples of this in marketing and fan art, that we just now pass it off as ordinary or come to expect that everything is sexualized, or accept it. But, that's an incomplete thought, a opinion and slightly getting off topic.

I wonder if Rey will have any provocative scenes or what sort of sexuality we can come to expect from the new trilogy...

[​IMG]

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I could go through your post point by point but I think it would be easier if I did it like this: I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing how any of your major points are true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    That was one of my points... ;) The last in particular, that it's subjective. I kind of made this a troll thread anyways. I'm bored... I was throwing fire onto the mix. I hope it doesn't result in a band, worse case I was hoping for a close and a warning.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Fair enough! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    As long as the female characters are 3 dimensional human beings with stories of their own and aren't just stuck in for some obvious fanservice, I'm fine with it as long if it isn't over the top and gratuitous (the way that Carol Marcus scene was).

Oh, and it has to be equal opportunity. Men and women!

[​IMG]

:D

(There is a severe lack of shirtless Ewan McGregor in the prequels).

DarthBreezy likes this.
  6. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Hell no. have you been paying attention to what Kathleen Kennedy has been saying about females in SW?

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  7. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I want something Iconic for Rey, and even more if she's a Skywalker:

Grandma Padme: Battle on Geonosis with the white suit
    Mom Leia: Jabba's Palace
    Daughter Rey???: A cool fight against someone.

I could see a great fight against a female villain, that would be cool, Rey really needs a cool fight sequence to show up is skills.

8. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Honestly, the way I see this is that where as it's true Star Wars has sexualized it's characters, on occasion... or shown their femininity, it also takes time to develop it's characters, and they've never become sexual objects.

It just has it's moments. I've always been very uncomfortable with the AOTC scene. :D

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Too late!

[​IMG]

10. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    HAHAHA because I said band instead of bann. HAHA!

11. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Look at dat chest.
    [​IMG]

DarthBreezy likes this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    This thread is needless.

If you object to needless sexualisation, why have you reposted the offending image from Star Trek?
    if anything, Lucas's universe was not really sexualised at all, aside from the gold bikini which was thirty two years ago, and possibly the ripping of Padmes white outfit.

13. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Was it George's idea to put Leia in the bikini to the director?

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  14. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012

Well, that's all subject to interpretation. I always felt that Anakin and Padame's relationship was superficial and felt sort of overly sexualized.
    That image is up for interpretation it was just an example of JJ's "vision" for star trek and how he managed to throw something into the mix that made quite a stir, and for that I feel it is actually related to this thread. You can interpret it however you want. It was a controversial image.

I still feel that the AOTC "romance" scenes are awkward and convey sexual frustration and are just.... weird, and inappropriate. I was never comfortable with those. The one near the fire is the one I'm referring to...

Each to their own. I might object, depends on how it's done, if it's done. I don't feel that the OT or PT made anyone sexual objects, but the love story between Anakin and Padme was terrible and to the audience she was never really that developed in my opinion and culture did over sexualize her. I think you can buy her white outfit now, but ripped apart...

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Lucas and Spielberg wanted Indiana Jones to be a pedophile. True story.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  17. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I hope so.

18. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic and you need to point it all out.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah..this won't go anywhere good...

Perhaps you can alleviate your boredom with an unban request

Dagobahsystem, SgtTimBob, EHT and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.