main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    whostheBossk, TK327 and DrDre like this.
  2. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Eh, I don't think so. Maybe misinterpreted something. Lucas sees the special editions as the versions he wants, and truthfully the versions I prefer too. This rumor has been going on since Disney bought Lucasfilm.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Lucas has changed his mind before. We'll see, I guess.

After all, he's sort of released them on DVD before anyway.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    It's going to happen sooner or later. It's to be expected that there are going to be rumors here and there. Some may be accurate, some may not, but it is inevitable. Lucas is out of the picture and the original mostly-unaltered trilogy is coming.

chemicalsam and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  5. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Apparently George s the one who told him, so take that how you want.

6. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    This rumor has been floating around since Disney bought Lucasfilm...I'm sure it will happen eventually, but until I hear it directly from Disney, I take it with a grain of salt...

Alison Organa likes this.
  7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I'll believe it when I'm watching them.

Davak24 and PymParticles like this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh my god please be true.

9. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    I hope not. But they will probably try to squeeze a lot of money out of people who want it by having it be a second disk in the OT blu ray set.

Bowen and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Why on earth?

Howard Hand likes this.
  11. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    Because I'm telling you its gonna be like a Deluxe Set that will cost extra and it will come with the newest version and the OOT version. Also if George doesn't want to, which if the rumor is true he does want to, then it would be disrespectful to release it. However, if George wants to then its fine. I just hope that the Blu Ray re-edit editon doesn't go away because I personally like it. :)

Bowen and Darkslayer like this.
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The 2011 "final draft" the the Special Editions isn't going to disappear. It's in no danger of going anywhere. It's widely available on Blu-ray and digitally, and is in no danger of being unobtainable. Even if the OOT is only available in a Deluxe Set, that doesn't mean you have to buy it; you presumably already own the version that you prefer. Even in light of all that, I still don't understand why you'd hope they're not released.

13. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    Unless Lucas confirms he wants it released I won't believe he does. And it would be disrespectful to release something he doesn't want released. If he does say that he wants it released then I will support it.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Because the Cult of Lucas cannot accept it- that combined with TFA marketing and the PT being phased out of mass consumption would mean that they have lost.

Lucas does not control the day to day operations anymore. He sold the company and before he signed those papers, he was told that Disney would do what they felt was right with Star Wars going forwards.

15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I get what you're saying, but it's not about winning or losing. That's the weird thing, to me. We all love Star Wars. We might love or prefer different parts of it, or for different reasons, but we all love Star Wars. Why actively hope one subset of fans don't get what they want, when everyone can get what they want? Is that not preferable, all fans being happy? The Special Editions are canon. The prequels are canon. Both are readily available in a variety of ways, and they're not even being ignored; The Clone Wars forms a huge chunk of the current canon, and Rebels is building right off of it while tying back into the OT-era. The Force Awakens is aesthetically of a piece with the OT, and the marketing is focusing on that, but what's to be expected? It's a sequel to the OT films, and the people making it are seeking to recapture some of the OT that many feel was missing from the PT. I just don't understand why it has to be an "all or nothing" thing for some people. The people that prefer the SE already have what they want. I wouldn't want it taken away from them, and I don't understand the reverse mentality.

16. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah, it is a totally selfish attitude, when I read or hear Brian Young's of Full of Sith and those guys at SWU podcast almost campaigning for the OOT never to be released, I'm like " the **** is wrong with you?" This is not a competition, is just the ability to watch the versions that made Star Wars the phenomenon that it is today in the best quality as possible, and honestly, for a lot of people, it is still the best versions, even with the imperfections on the VFX.

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Is this information legit or not?

There has been countless rumors about the theatrical version being released since Disney bought Lucasfilm and none of them has been confirmed. And this time, once again, it has been told by someone else outside of Disney and it hasn't been George Lucas himself who told this publicly, and it will be a bit surprising that it would be Lucas himself who told that since he doesn't want anymore to be involved in Lucasfilm or Star Wars.

The only legit information we've got is that it's 20th Century Fox who owns the rights on all 6 Star Wars movies until 2020 and owns the rights forever on the the original Star Wars from 1977. So everything should be by now in the camp of 20th Century Fox and we haven't heard anything from its official sources once again.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hope this turns out to be true!

19. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    My question is will Lucas even see a cut from the sales since he sold everything to Disney? Anywho if this is true it don't mean much to me personally since I am happy with the special editions but I will be glad that fans will have a choice on which ones they prefer

20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Seagoat likes this.
  21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Exactly. I've been saying this for years now. Lucas fanboys have been wary of Disney owning SW since day one. They were especially resistant to the idea of an Episode 7. Its plain to see its because they bought into Lucas' nonsense and lies about Star Wars being a 12 hour movie about the "Tragedy of Darth Vader". It's the same thing with the SEs being the "true" versions of the films.

Artoo-Dion and vinsanity like this.
  22. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    How is this disrespectful to Lucas? All people want is to see the films in their original forms. In my minds and many others the real and canon version will always be the one that was released in theaters. They aren't going to go in and tinker with it, they simply want to return them to the films people originally fell in love with.

The only changes that really "worked" in my mind are the enhancements to the video and audio quality. im not a fan of George deciding 30 years later that Vader should have been saying "no" has he defeated the emperor. As a writer, director or artist once you release the the project to the GA, that should be final version.

23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Awesome. Now we have some people who will FINALLY stop complaining. If it's true, that is.

The new versions are the canon ones though.

24. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

It's different now, though.

Anyway, I think it'll happen this time. And quite rightly.

Howard Hand likes this.
  25. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

Pure speculation.

George Lucas also said there'd never be a sequel trilogy!