main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  2. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    Actually I don't think Disney has officially announced which versions are canon.

3. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    The PT was never meant to compete with the OT they were supposed to go together. And although we havent seen any PT in TFA(havent seen much of anything really) lots of other stuff have PT content like Infinty and Rebels. Disney is doing an awful job at phasing out the PT.

As for the OOT releasing, if George wants it released thats awesome.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  4. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Acting like Lucas can never change his mind in 2015...

5. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

6. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    Until there is confirmation from KK and Disney about this I am not going to believe it. This rumor has been around since Disney bought Lucasfilm.

B99 and Darkslayer like this.
  7. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Little correction: Greedo originaly didn´t shoot at all.

8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    If they ever did release the unaltered trilogy, my hope has been that they release it in context. Not just standard blu-rays with poster art covers and "ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSIONS" banners, but more of a Criterion Collection sort of release that explains the significance of the original edits outside of the usual "I hate the Special Editions and the OOT is my headcanon!" mindset.

Honestly, if they were made to be some high tier exclusive with a bundled in book by J.W. Rinzler I'd be all onboard.

To be honest, I've always been the type to prefer movies with more content and cleaned up special effects. The original theatricals are nothing more than curiosities that I throw on every once in a while to skip to specific scenes to see mistakes and alternate cuts, not unlike watching the Deleted Scenes on a DVD. I'd love to see them released in high def, but I am far more interested in the way they are presented and what sort of supplemental materials are added. A high def release of Empire of Dreams, with additional content covering 2005-2015 would be an awesome addition.

9. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    And the official press release is being carried by Variety or the Hollywood Reporter or some other legitimate news site, NOT Moviepilot. Seriously you don't know how many of my friends sharing Moviepilot links I've had to debunk.

Moviepilot: only slightly more reputable then Super Shadow,and with 100% more clickbait.

10. Poisontail

Poisontail Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2015
    I don't care for the remastered flicks especially when they took out the original a akin for Hayden

11. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    I hope this is true.

Davak24 likes this.
  12. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    I still have the 2006 unaltered OT box set, which is going for $300 new, $150 used on Amazon.

Guess it'd be a good time to sell now...

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You lucky one, two of my three dvds broke.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd love to see the OT get the Blade Runner treatment - the original theatrical cuts, the 1997 cuts, the DVD cuts, and the Blu-Ray cuts. Actually, hell, just go Lawrence of Arabia meets LotR levels of madness - all those plus a special feature disc per film and a coffee table book. Charge me $150 for it, I'll buy the bastard with joy. Piecemeal the theatrical cuts and Blu-Ray cuts to lower end shoppers (Maybe as two disc bundles, re-label the Blu-Ray version as the "Director's Cut" which, well, it is). Everybody wins.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And give us an extended edition version!

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lost? Lost what? Who are you, Charlie Sheen? Seriously, get over yourself.

I'm pretty sure that Lucasfilm did.

VMeran, Saga Explorer and Seagoat like this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    It's interesting, because, story wise, the Special Editions aren't that different than the theatrical versions. Yes, there are tweaks here and there, but overall, the story is essentially the same. So either version can be canon.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I came on here to say what you just did. The story is pretty much identical, it's the details of certain scenes that's different, as well as aesthetic alterations which impact the film but don't directly impact the canon. When you're watching The Force Awakens, you're not going to be thinking, "Does this take place in a continuity where Darth Vader screamed "No!" before killing the Emperor?" All that matters story-wise is that Darth Vader throws the Emperor down the shaft. The only change that could possible impact any future film is Anakin's Force ghost, but since I don't really foresee either Johnson or Trevorrow having Christensen reprise his role for a cameo in Episodes VIII or IX, even that doesn't really matter in regards to canon. So, whether or not this is something they officially state, both forms (OOT and SE) of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are, for all practical purposes, canon. Which version someone watches should then be left up to them. Me personally, when they release the OOT (I don't believe it's a matter of "if"), that's what I'm going to be popping into my Blu-ray player when I get the urge to watch either an individual film or do a full Saga viewing. If someone else wants to do that with the SE, that's their inclination and they're not wrong (personally and in regards to canon) for doing so.

19. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I just hope Disney doesn't do what Spielberg did with the SE version of ET, denouncing the SE version and trying to hide it away to appease the angry internet mob.

20. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    While the 2011 versions may be the last time Lucas altered them, they are no more final than the theatrical releases were. 1080p BluRay will never be the final release. There will be more releases for the rest of our lives and it's likely that we'll either see more changes or even reversions.

As long as there's money to be made, there's going to be a "new and improved (or restored)" product.

Encuentro and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Does anyone actually believe that the 2011 releases are the last editions ever? I don't.

Howard Hand likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It's this confrontational attitude by some OOT fans that is why Saga fans are annoyed. It has nothing to do with us having "lost."

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Unless Lucas himself somehow makes more changes, then I don't see how they won't be the last editions ever. Unless you're talking about stuff like 4K releases.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    That's exactly what will happen. SE versions will be denounced because JJA and LK are making TFA as a sequel to the ROTJ that ended with Yub Nub, not Coruscant...I bet Coruscant won't even EXIST in TFA and onward.
    So, we will have the GLu version of 1-6 and the OOT of 4-9. We will have two Star Warses.

25. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Aftermath Spoilers
    Aftermath begins with the Coruscant celebration from the SE. It quickly goes awry.

And since the whole revamping of the EU was for a singular canon, including films I-VI, one can safely assume that Coruscant will still exist. There's literally nothing to be afraid of folks. The re-release of the unaltered films will have no effect on the canon or the very existence of the SEs or the PT (nor their importance in the canon).

B99 and SW Saga Fan like this.