main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm probably a freak but I want the 1997 Special Edition on Blu-ray too.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    ....What world are you living in?

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    This needs to happen.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, like Ramza said earlier, Star Wars really needs the get the Blade Runner treatment with every cut of the movie available in one set.

:rolleyes:

5. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Don't quote part of my post please. I already responded to someone on this thread and went into more detail and explained what I meant. Igg-bye.

6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015

:rolleyes:

Fixed :)

AmidalaLover likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes. Unless Lucas decides to go back and revisit the films yet again, which is highly unlikely because he's gradually learning to let go of Star Wars (Kennedy commented that this is something that was hard for him), it's not going to happen. Lucasfilm going in and re-editing the films without Lucas' direction or authorization is not just wrong in every way, and something I'm relatively certain everyone would be uncomfortable with, but if Lucas retains final cut of the six existing films, also illegal.

Saga Explorer and Darkslayer like this.
  8. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    If that was true, I don´t think they wouldn´t show Coruscant in the Star Wars: Afternath.

9. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes, yes, Aftermath I know...I know Coruscant will exist in SW literature but I'm assuming JJA and LK have not and never will read any of said literature. So while LFL is commissioning novels, comics, etc. to fill in the gaps, my thinking is that the filmmakers are crafting a ST devoid of any and all references to PT/SE content.

The world of JJ (Abrams, not Jar Jar) who grew up on the OOT, is probably disgusted by the SE, and likely dismissive of the PT. Hey I'm not saying the new ST won't "work" - I am super excited to see it. And thankfully we aren't getting the opposite extreme, not living in a world where they are letting *shudder* Dave Filoni make a ST film. What a disaster THAT would be!!!

Slicer87 likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    :confused: In my opinion, Dave Filoni would have been the ideal choice to continue George's saga

11. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I agree, because one EU writer included some SE elements doesn't mean JJ also will in his film. Since JJ is going "old school" who knows how far he may go like OOT. Even the writer of Aftermath is a PT hater who bad mouthed those films online, though he sort of likes TCW which he feels "saves the PT." An opinion I disagree with.

mes520 likes this.
  12. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Wait, are you referring to Aftermath as being EU? Because it's not, that's the old way. Now, everything is canon.

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  13. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    An article from Furious Fanboys:

14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great news, if true. If Disney/Lflm. does release the OOT on Blu-ray/DVD, hopefully these will be Anamorphic Widescreen. The OOT version(s) that were re-released on DVD's by Lflm. back in 2006?!-ish were non-anamorphic, and were just basically sub-par releases that were essentially transfers from the '90's Laserdiscs (I think).

The other question is, when will these be released? It's already late September at this point, and most DVD's/Blu's that will be released for the rest of calendar year 2015 have already had their release dates announced. The release of Episode VII & the Christmas holidays are three months away. So, unless Disney/Lflm. officially announces these OOT releases soon, I have a feeling they'll be out sometime after in 2016...I hope I'm wrong, of course.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Alongside the Blu-ray release of The Force Awakens would be cool, which I think is happening in April. Buy all four in one fell swoop. Either that, or for the 40th anniversary in 2017, immediately prior to the theatrical release of Episode VIII. I'm hoping for sooner rather than later, but most of all I want the restorations to be good. If that means waiting a bit longer for proper restorations, then so be it.

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    The films, all 6 of them, have been released digitally since Disney bought Lucasfilm. They simply changed the logos before the films with the exception of A New Hope which, as Furious Fanboys pointed out, Fox owns forever. What difference would it make if they were the theatrical versions or Special Edition versions. Disney and Fox have already come to some kind of arrangement to release the films digitally, and, YES, they are being re-released yet AGAIN, on Blu-ray this fall, presumably with the same or similar logo changes before the films. It's been done. This shouldn't be an issue anymore. I can't believe it ever was. There is money to be made. Fox is a corporation. Disney is a corporation. Corporations exist to make money. There is a market for the theatrical versions evidenced by every rumor about their release blowing up all over the internet. This is going to happen.

17. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Makes sense, and I agree - I'm not sure I'll be seeing TFA in theaters (I don't like crowds), but will definitely be getting the Blu-ray - and, it would be great if the OOT were released on Blu the same day, so consumers could get them all at once.

I stand by my earlier post that I strongly believe these OOT Blu's/DVD's won't be coming out this calendar year, because if that were the case they would almost certainly have already been announced, since it's already September.....

PymParticles likes this.
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm going to laugh if it turns out George was just talking about Disney's possible upcoming plans to re-release the "original movies" in theaters (i.e. the 2011 versions that are also being re-released on Blu-ray soon), and Landis just misunderstood what he meant.

mes520, darth-sinister, L110 and 2 others like this.
  19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I.. I would not laugh. That would not be funny. That'd be awful.

TX-20 and lovelikewinter like this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

It would practically be 9/11 all over again.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I would very much like to see a theatrical cut but please RESTORE the quality of the film as well (as well as fixing egregious FX issues like the lightsaber glitch).

22. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    We simply don't know this and can't assume that the ST is going to be devoid of any PT references, or SE references for that matter. Abrams, believe it or not, likes George Lucas (he even attended George's wedding) and isn't going to do anything to step on his creation.

Again, we have no evidence that JJ was disgusted by the SE. He's only said he believes that Han shot first (and only mentioned this when a reporter drug it out of him). As far as the PT is concerned, what we do know is that JJ recognizes that his children's generation grew up with the PT, and view the saga differently than he did growing up. If anything, because his kids enjoy those movies, he wouldn't do anything to dismiss the PT either in the form of an interview or within the film itself, at risk of upsetting his kids. ;)

Hell, I was just at Walmart on Force Friday, and they had a slew of Star Wars books out. One of them was a children's book whose intent was to introduce (or re-introduce) the original trilogy to kids. It was full of screen shots from the films. I flipped to the back and, lo and behold, there's Hayden Christensen as the Force ghost of Anakin Skywalker. That is the canon recognized by Disney and Lucasfilm. If the unaltered trilogy is re-released (which judging from the articles posted here and how quickly the front page of TheForce.net took down the rumor, I'm guessing this isn't actually the case for now), that's not going to change anything.

Heck, I prefer the SEs to the OOT, and if the OOT were re-released, I'd buy them in a second. I love Star Wars, no matter which version of it is out there. As long as the OOT release is done at the behest of Lucas, then I have no problem with it.

VMeran and Darkslayer like this.
  23. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I hope I can finally buy a Star Wars Trilogy Blu-Ray. I have been avoiding the botched 2011 release and won't buy just the SEs. Hell, I don't even want to be forced to buy them to get the OOT. If this is true, then Disney did the right thing. I don't care about Lucas' views on this, he does not dictate Disney/Lucasfilm policy- as evidenced when they changed his outlines for TFA.

TX-20 likes this.
  24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yet what does it matter to the people who lick up--I mean, like up--every new change (yet somehow are still considered as fans of a movie) that other people would like to see the movie they started liking in the first place? Apparently it is this obsession with canon, no matter how much something is altered. You have every video release, TV showing, and theatrical re-release for you already. It is possible to like a movie because you, uh, like it and don't perceive it like an accurate historical record.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Funny how easily some people flip-flop on the moral rights of the artist when the artist is someone they personally dislike.