main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It'll be a year if it is that. Always a 7 year wait between new editions. 97 to 04 to 2011 to 2018.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I stand corrected re: my thinking the 2006 DVD's were cropped/truncated. For some reason, I always thought the '90's Laserdisk versions of the OOT were cut off at the sides to some extent.

I will have to go back & watch the 2006 OOT DVD's & then compare them to the Blu-ray's.

DrDre likes this.
  3. FirstOrder

FirstOrder Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 26, 2015
    MSW is saying the rumours are hot again about Theatrical cuts being re-released. Fingers crossed.

4. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2012
    Yep, I just read that. Starting to get my hopes up again.

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Would buy in a heart beat!!

6. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I've said it before, they could release the original theatrical versions in a trilogy box set with a premium price point featuring bonus features similar to the Criterion Collection that put the releases into a historical context. That way Lucas' vision of the 2011 releases being canon is preserved and the original theatrical version fans get theirs. I have never ever been a fan of the mentality where Lucas is attacked for not releasing the originals in their theatrical state, as I 100% agree with his decision to do what he wants with his films and to present them in the context of the saga as a whole. By and large, I support the changes he made, but I totally understand from a film history perspective why the theatrical versions are important.

7. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    They have things called Director's cuts, where the Director gets to put out his preferred version compared to what the studio put out for the theatrical release.

But even then, George's vision would only be one-third of the trilogy. Kershner and Marquand directed the other two films, and Lucas had no right to alter those after release in any way. Particularly the dead guy's.

8. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    I love the special editions, but if they release the unaltered versions I'll buy them yesterday.

9. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    I ****ing hate the special editions and if they release the unaltered versions I'll buy them yesterday.

10. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005

George was the owner of Lucasfilm and financed the films. He oversaw development of ESB and ROTJ. They are just as much his films as they are Kersh's and Marquand's. He had every right to do what he wanted with them moving forward.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Is this... is this it?

If it is, I will delete my copies of the Despecialized Editions and wait for the BD release before watching the movies again. This is, like, tied with the trailer for The Last Jedi with what would get me most excited from Celebration.

12. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Star Wars (1977):
    20th Century Fox
    Directed by George Lucas

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    20th Century Fox
    Directed by Irvin Kershner

Return of the Jedi (1983)
    20th Century Fox
    Directed by Richard Marquand

Of course, they are all owned now by Disney.

Where are these "his" films again? If I buy them and decide to edit them to include random appearances of Barney the Dinosaur, would that be ok?

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I honestly can't wait for this to be officially announced so this thread can be locked once and for all, and the bickering can finally come to an end. Everyone has the version they want, and that's that.

14. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    I really do not understand your argument. You are aware that Lucas owned Lucasfilm, wrote the treatments for the original trilogy, and hired out the directors? Episodes 1-6 were his films regardless of who was placed in the director's role. Lucas brought them on to direct, but the films were Lucasfilm property and would not have existed were it not for George.

If you buy them and edit them to include Barney (what a bizarre example), you are making a strange fan edit and nothing more. You were never hired by Lucas and your edit was not condoned by Lucasfilm. You have no ownership of the films outside of the ability to purchase what is officially put out there.

John Paul Jones likes this.
  15. John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2015
    I have never understood this argument that Empire was an Irvin Kershner film and Jedi was a Richard Marquand film. Both of those guys were chosen by George to direct George Lucas's films. In the case of Empire, George almost went bankrupt to fund the rest of the movie himself. He didn't have that problem with Jedi, but he still bankrolled it and both were his stories and his intellectual property.

Padme501st and Darth_Harmon like this.
  16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    And, TBH, you can kinda tell. The production values on Jedi just weren't as good as they were on Empire.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Bazinga'd and Lt. Hija like this.
  18. John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2015
    I definitely need an official announcement before I can get excited about this.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    My theory that I have been expounding on this thread will be thoroughly discredited if this rumor becomes fact. :p

20. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    Unfortunately, Pablo seems to be suggesting on twitter that the rumors are not true. He also said the following: ""As far as I know, there's only one person who could make this happen and he hasn't seemed all that interested."

What do you make of this? I assume Pablo is referring to Lucas. Maybe Disney really did agree to give Lucas final say as to whether the theatrical versions ever get released and Lucas is still refusing.

21. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Please announce this officially!

Media in Australia running with this same rumour about an original release timed for the 40th celebration.

It would be a special moment for many if true.

22. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

A lot of people in this thread seem to have the misconception that the director is the end all be all authority of a film. You guys ever hear of a producer? That's the director's boss. Guess who the producer was for every single SW film from Episode 1-6?

For those that don't know what a producer is, here's what they typically do:

Preproduction
    • Find material from a book or script.
    • Get the script into good enough shape to attract a director (and studio, if this is not a studio-initiated production).
    • Secure financing for the film, if it is not being made for a studio.
    • Choose the director and other parts of the creative team.
    • Cast the actors, working with the director.
    • Determine locations and budget.
    • Decide on cinematographer and special effects.
    • Hire a production team including crew and producers.
    • Develop a shooting schedule.
    • Create a detailed plan of action for production.

Production
    • Offer creative suggestions to the director.
    • Handle problems with actors or creative staff.
    • Monitor production timetable and budget.
    • Review video dailies, the film shot each day.

Postproduction
    • Discuss order and selection of scenes with the director.
    • Review the fine cut of the film after it is edited.
    • In some cases, polish, revise and restructure the film to create the final cut.
    • Work with a distributor to secure distribution for the film. This may include showing the distributors the final cut of the film.
    • Review the distributor's advertising campaign for the film.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/movie-producer2.htm

Dagobahsystem and WebLurker like this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  24. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2012
    B99 likes this.
  25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    On theory's such as these, speculation.. Is all we have..