CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight

star 1
    The worst thing about the GOUT discs is the position of the subtitles. When you watch them on a widescreen TV, the bottom line of the subtitles is chopped off. They could at the very least have positioned the subtitles more centrally. :(
  2. PoorRebel Jedi Youngling

star 1

There are so many Fans who would like to see the original versions that it should be fairly easy to get Disney to release those. I mean it's no problem to get 2000 people to a birthday party because someone posted an invitation publicly on Facebook. But I would not be surprised if George made it part of the deal with Disney that they agreed not to do so... :"/
  3. JABoomer Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've always wondered about that. I wouldn't be surprised if it were so, because in George's mind, the movies were always evolving and the old versions no longer relevant.
  4. TheMoldyCrow Jedi Knight

star 3
    There's no way George would put some sort of clause stopping Disney from re-releasing the OOT. The 2006 DVD's are evident that Lucas doesn't particularly care about the films being re-released.
    Encuentro likes this.
  5. Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Master

star 4
    Disney paid George $4 billion. I don't think Disney would agree to a deal that would severely limit their return on investment. I think after 2020 you will see Disney cut a deal with Fox to release the originals unaltered. Fox still owns some rights to the OT until 2020 and then they just have some rights to ANH. So that's why I'm thinking it will be around then we can see this happening.
    starkiller1977 likes this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Maybe yes. Maybe no. We don't know.

If he doesn't care at all anymore and they can release them then why haven't they?

Have they determined that it's a very small fan market that is served by the fan preservations?

If nothing happens with this anniversary then what other impetus is there for a long time?

That's the point though. They paid a measly 4B. In no way shape or form would not releasing the theatrical versions cost them anything as the sales of the SE have shown over and again for 20 years now.

Irrelevant. Fox simply gets a fee for ANH and that continues on. There really is no deal to cut anymore as that is all worked out already. The last deal was the digital and that was done.
    Last edited by Qui-Riv-Brid, Mar 20, 2017
  7. TheMoldyCrow Jedi Knight

star 3

There's plenty of possible reasons. They may feel that it would be wiser to focus on the new films, and wait until later to work on an OOT HD release. After all, that's the reason we never saw any of the films past TPM released in 3D.
  8. Bithlistener Jedi Youngling

To be honest, It would be a total breath of fresh air if this happened.
    Cedric T Sealion likes this.
  9. PymParticles Force Ghost

star 5
    Eh, that's a bit different. We're talking about a Blu-ray/digital release (I doubt they'd get a limited theatrical run like the Special Editions did 20 years ago), whereas with the 3D releases of the Saga, having a theatrical re-release for all six films leading up to TFA over a few years kind of takes the punch out of Star Wars returning to theaters. I absolutely understand why they nipped the 3D re-releases in the bud.
    TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If they plan on releasing this, they're either waiting for the perfect moment (40th anniversary, after EpIX, GL's 75th birthday...) or negotiating with 20th Century Fox.
    Bazinga'd likes this.
  11. themoth Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm holding out hope it's going to happen as a surprise. Making Star Wars doesn't usually make this stuff up or have bad sources.
    Cedric T Sealion likes this.