main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2012
    Well I don't know what the "facts" are. People in the know aren't talking about it openly, and all the articles that claim to "debunk" the rumors are based on nothing but speculation. I have heard from a very reputable poster on the blu-ray forum that said he knows for a fact that Disney has scanned all the original elements in 4k. But that is also standard procedure for them for archival purposes, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I didnt expect an announcement at Celebration, but If we don't hear anything by the end of May I'd say no way it is happening.

So I guess I still have a little hope, but I actually wouldn't bet anything on it. I just have zero confidence in Disney/Lucasfilm at this point.

2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    After spending 4 billion dollars Disney would be idiots if they did not 4K scan everything to have it in a digital format that does not degrade over time.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Good point. Let's hope they back everything up to a second hard drive.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    This has been posted before and is really the final word for now barring anything else:

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/022417-0100

Disney’s current 4K scan of the film is the most recent revised version (essentially the latest “special edition”), not the original theatrical edition.

the original cut negative for the film currently exists in its “SE” configuration only.

all of the “trims” removed from the original cut negative (in the mid-1990s, to create the SEs) still exist as well.

The 4K restoration therefore would cover most of the work needed save for the "trims". As I have said this would basically be a modern digital post-production version as opposed to the optical original but I place the odds of that version ever being released as very low.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Do you know if any samples of this have leaked out yet? Like in a montage of clips from the movies that look a little sharper or have slightly different color balance, etc??? It's hard to tell when it's streaming, but the footage at celebration all still looked like the current editions.

Back when Birth.Movies.Death was BadAssDigest - they very confidently reported a few days before the release of the 2015 digital versions would the new 4K transfers and one of the changes is Greedo no long shoots at all. They got the release wrong but followed up that the 4K transfer was real and the Han and Greedo exchange was changed back to how it originally looked. I wonder if that is true. I must say with each new edition that shoot out has gotten better. How does a top of the line transfer in 2014 or 2015 compare to the best transfer done in 2017?

6. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Reliance Media (the company that, at one point, said on their website that they had done a Star Wars 4k restoration...can't remember if it said the whole trilogy or not) has a demo reel that shows clips from ANH & TESB. Both indeed seem to be different versions than the 2011 Blu-rays based on the color timing and details in the picture. Here is the clip:

Mr. Forest, Krueger, Lt. Hija and 2 others like this.
  7. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    This forum discussion provides some interesting context for the 2004 master of the OT, and includes the person who worked on the color grading with George Lucas personally in the early 2000s:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-versions-ever-be-released-on-blu-ray.202658/

One of the remarks that struck me is that, and I'm paraphrasing here, George Lucas tossed his Technicolor print of Star Wars, and would at the time only watch the 2K DCPs of the films. According to the person who worked with Lucas, he apparently has despised film ever since Kodak lied to him about the longevity of the film he used for Star Wars.

ZodaEX likes this.
  8. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    The 40th anniversary of the 1977 Star Wars comes next month on May 25th. What a time that would be to release it on blu-ray and DVD!

Lulu Mars likes this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Certainly! I don't see it happening, though. It would likely have been announced at Celebration Orlando.

10. YorksEisleyian

YorksEisleyian Jedi Knight

Dec 27, 2016
  11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Finally, an answer!
    I approve of their respect for George and his films. I would like to have the original cuts, but at least I can rest assured that it won't happen without his approval.

...in the foreseeable future, at least.

fastcooljosh likes this.
  12. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Darkslayer and Lulu Mars like this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is sloppy ass journalism. Here's a transcript I found of what she was actually asked and what she actually answered on Reddit. She was not asked if there were plans to restore them to their original form, she was asked if they were legally capable of changing them in any way. The interviewer was vague and she clearly misunderstood the question the first time. The second time, he specifically asked if they would be "altered over time," as in would they make further changes, which she shot down completely. Altering the films further than they've already been changed is a far cry from restoring them to how they once were. She was not asked about the OOT in any capacity, and I highly doubt she interpreted the question as such.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If anything it supports the notion that Lucas still has final cut privilege over the six movies he made and they can/will only be released in the version he wants, fortunately.

fastcooljosh likes this.
  15. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    That's basically what pablo hidalgo said a few months ago on twitter.

16. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016

Thank you. Beat me to it. Just about to say that comicbook.com had reported this completely different.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/...-altered-versions-lucasfilm-kathleen-kennedy/

Speaking with the Steele Wars podcast at Star Wars Celebration last week, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy spoke about the company’s commitment to George Lucas’ final cuts and that they would not alter the films in any way.

“I wouldn’t touch those, are you kidding me?” Kennedy said with a laugh. “Those will always remain his.”

How does releasing the originals show a lack of respect for his films? They'll still be available, won't be altered and still considered canon (for those who care about that for some odd reason).

It does not support or have anything to do with that notion. 2 completely different subjects.

TX-20 and PymParticles like this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If it's done without Lucas' consent, then it doesn't show lack of respect towards him, yes. He, as the artist, has the right to decide which versions of his work is released for the public to see (be it one, some or all of them).

Some artists don't care about what's out there. Others (sadly) don't have the power to decide. And some not only care but also have power to decide. Lucas belongs to the latter group.

18. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016

He lost those rights when he sold them. If they respect his wishes that's one thing, but he no longer has rights. He's no longer in a position to give consent.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Apparently, he is. Do you really think that Lucas, the person who stood up to defend the artists' rights against changes done by studios without the consent of the latter, that has done everything to be independent in order to stop studios from changing his work and be able to do what he wants, would sell his company without a clause to protect himself from it? One would need to be very naive to believe that.

20. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016

"Protect himself"? Protect himself from what? Is something bad going to happen to him? LOL.

I think one would have to be more naive to think that a mega corporation like Disney would spend billions of dollars to the rights of any property where the former owner still gets to tell them what to do after the deal is signed and long after he's dead and gone.

ZodaEX likes this.
  21. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, protect himself as an artist. Not sure why you're playing dumb. Are you really ignorant about the phrasing?

Disney bought Star Wars to make more Star Wars. Not in order to release the theatrical versions of the existing movies on home video. And Lucas isn't telling them what to do after the deal is signed. These types of stipulations are made explicit in the deal. Since Disney bought Lucasfilm, logic states that they both agreed with each other's conditions when the deal was signed.

23. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, I agree. Doesn't really tell us much either way. And a horrible job by the interviewer there if he was indeed trying to ask about the theatrical cuts. Missed opportunity.

Nate787 likes this.
  24. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I never got on the "Lets hate George Lucas" bandwagon after the prequels and various other things, but this is the ONE thing I got mad at him for.

Name me any movie that has a special edition or director's cut and I guarantee you I can still watch the theatrical version if I want.

ET = I have never watched the special edition and I don't have to because the original was released on DVD and I can still get it. Now, I don't have anything against a special edition to ET, but if I ever get around to watching it in that form, it is nice to know I can always go back to the version I experienced first.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day = My Blu-Ray has both the Director's Cut and the Theatrical cut of the film, which is great. There are a handful of moments from the Director's Cut that I really love, so its nice to have a version of the film with that stuff included, but I can always watch the original version I experienced.

The Exorcist, I have both the original version and the director's cut/special edition from the late 90s. I thought the new cut was interesting, and had some scenes that I kind of wish had been originally included, but it falters in other areas, so I like having both versions to watch and compare.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy....All Three Films have a Theatrical Cut and an Extended Cut...I can watch either version I want. I prefer the Extended Cut so I just stick with that, but again, its nice to have the option.

Oh and how many versions of Blade Runner are there? A ton? And I can watch any version I want? Cool!

OK, I think I've made my point. If George wanted to keep tinkering with the trilogy, that's fine. Keep it up, and I'd probably feel compelled to keep watching every new version just to compare. But for heaven's sake, I don't want the only versions of the original Star Wars that I can watch being the ones that have footage that was clearly made in 1977 with special effects that were clearly made decades later. Its jarring. Also, I decided not to buy the Blu-Rays because of how they changed the ending to Return of the Jedi by adding "Noooooos!" to Vader. One of my favorite moments in all of Star Wars and I can't experience it the way it should be because Lucas put the kibosh on it.

Its just frustrating. So, yeah, the sooner Disney gives us an official release, the happier I'll be.

TX-20 and Nate787 like this.
  25. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016

Playing dumb? You brought up Lucas protecting himself from his work being changed when Kathleen Kennedy clearly stated she would never touch his SE's (which btw, she only said that she WOULDN'T, not that Disney couldn't). And releasing the OOT wouldn't change his SE's anyway. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. So again, protect himself from what?

And Disney bought Star Wars to do whatever they feel like doing. They're a business. The only thing logic states is that we have absolutely no idea if there are any stipulations whatsoever, let alone know what those are.