main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That is part that should be focused on.

Whatever the actual state of affairs is from a business standpoint Disney has shown no real interest in doing anything but representing the 2011 HD versions of the movies. The prequels have not been released in 3D (though there were reports about it happening) the 4K versions created by Lucas are on the shelf as well.

They are working on getting out 3 movies in the next two years. As I have said the next window for them to pay real attention is when they want to release the Episode I-IX set that they will distribute themselves not Fox.

It's certainly not something that is at all top of mind for them by all indications.

This latest interview was a chance for some clarity but the interviewer danced around the question rather than simply ask "Are you ever going to release the theatrical versions of the original trilogy?"

True but all that could mean is that his versions are the true story of Star Wars and the actual canon (which is the case) that does not necessarily mean that the original versions couldn't come out but that they couldn't replace his versions the way he replaced the originals.

The one thing coming out of the interview is that KK wouldn't change Lucas' vision ie she isn't going to make changes to his movies. That is not the same as releasing the other versions.

Nate787 likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes.

I'm saying that Lucas protected himself as an artist, and that he will always have final say on which version of his work is released to the public. That's what final cut privilege is. Disney can release his six movies as many times and in as many formats as they want, but he's the one who says which cuts are released. Considering that he sees the theatrical versions as unfinished cuts that don't reflect his artistic vision, they probably won't be released any time soon. Definitely not in a major way. Even in the limited 2006 DVD release they were only included as mere bonus content. A direct transfer from a previous LD release.

It would change which version of his work is out there. The theatrical versions don't reflect his artistic intent. That's why only the SE are released. It's perfectly natural that he, as an artist, wouldn't want to have an unfinished version out there that he doesn't support.

They have everything to do with each other. They are different versions of the same movies. To him, one is what he intends and the other isn't. It's not that complicated.

Then please, don't mind me or my valid arguments. Continue to wait for something that won't happen.

Canon has nothing to do with it. It's about art and its artist. Some artists don't care about what's out there. Others do. To release a version that Lucas doesn't approve is changing his work. It's putting something out there, without his consent, "competing" a version that he approves.

It's not about which version any of us prefers. It's about his. He's the artist. And like he said many times, if people are going to judge him and his work, it will on the version he likes and wants to be out there.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Lucas did put the OOT out though and as the story goes they did consider doing new anamorphic scans for the DVD's but they were out of reach of the budget so they went with the laserdiscs.

So as alternate unfinished versions as a bonus he did release them.

Lucasfilm has never bothered with the very open DE's or SSE fans "preservations" so if the niche of fans out there that want them they are welcome to.

Maybe that is the versions they are releasing in that they allow them to be so open.

Nate787 likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Like I said, they were in a limited DVD release (ported directly from a previous LD release) and as bonus content. He said many times that he wouldn't waste money (as in, doing a proper restoration) on something he sees as unfinished.

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I ain't shocked by it tbh

There was way to many people who expected disney to stick their middle finger up at lucas and release the theatrical cuts but respectfully Disney is clearly not tryng to get one over on lucas

6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    No additional home releases of any kind are going to happen until the distribution rights revert in 2020. I have no idea if we'll get OOT versions of the OT or not, but it won't happen before 2020 if we do.

I hope the library of congress has digitized the OOT copy of Star Wars they have, because it would be an absolute travesty to lose that from a historical preservation standpoint.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Again: the interview has nothing to do with the OOT. Literally nothing. She was asked about making further alterations, which is quite literally the opposite of releasing the original versions. And she didn't even say they couldn't, she said they wouldn't.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Lucasfilm and Fox have everything preserved. Lucas kept everything hence why Red and Gold leader were in R1 and why the SE's were able to recomp all those original sequence from the original film elements.

Disney did a new 4K restoration for Song of the South. A movie that was never even released on standard DVD never mind HD.

Preservation is not at all a problem.

9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

On the other hand, if the idea behind leaving the last iteration of the Special Editions (the BluRay version) is out of respect to Lucas, it would seem plausible to extend that as well to not rerelease the original cuts out of respect to Lucas (since in his mind, the updated edition is the definitive version of his movies).

10. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015

He seemed perfectly fine releasing that unfinished version he doesn't support a decade ago. Them being a low quality Laser Disc transfer, or a bonus extra, doesn't change the fact that he still released them.

ZodaEX and Nate787 like this.
  11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Didn't they also say that those DVDs would be the last time they would release them on home video, too?

12. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I'm not quite sure, but I know the 1995 VHS set was advertised as the last chance to buy the OOT. Then they went ahead and released them in '06.

ZodaEX and Nate787 like this.
  13. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Well, it’s not his money anymore, so why should he care what the Walt Disney Company does with its own money?

Avnar likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'll rephrase that: I approve of their respect for George, his films and the fact that they are his films - as in, they are his work of art (as opposed to his property).

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He probably cares that people see the version of his work that better reflect his intent as opposed to a version that does not.

16. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    And they still will see it. It's not going anywhere regardless of an OOT release.

I'd accuse you of "playing dumb" but I'm starting to think it's not an act.

Cobra Kai likes this.
  17. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    She makes no comment regarding the theatrical cuts. Nothing can be inferred regarding the theatrical cuts.

Nate787 likes this.
  18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Like I said "plausible," not a fact.

19. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Maybe they are waiting to complete the reboot of the pt so they can be sure the correct Anakin gets inserted as force ghost at the end of Jedi..

ZodaEX likes this.
  20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

[face_rofl]

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Lucas always has been a shrewd businessman. I've speculated before he may have put a clause in the contract regarding the proper versions of the 6 films, and it seems possible that he could have.

Or Kennedy as his friend is simply respecting his artistic wishes. I'm sure she has plenty to keep her busy right now anyway.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They'll still see it? Says who? With the exception of fans and collectors, those that pick one won't pick the other. To him, if people want to see his work and judge it accordingly, they will see the version he's confortable with and that reflects his artistic intent as opposed to something that he sees as inferior/unfinished.

Unlike you did previously, I'm not the one pretending not understand something.

23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I've said this many times before - but I still have no idea why anyone thinks Disney would do anything prior to 2020 when the distribution rights for 5 out of the 6 movies revert.

I mean - why in the world would they bother to go through any kind of restoration/remaster release (even if it's just the SE) right now when they can wait a couple more years and not have to split most of the money with Fox

24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    There is no arrangement. It's been confirmed.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or see how his ideas have evolved over the years. With the blu ray release, we only get a partial picture of the 40 year history of SW.