main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I have. People tend to use whatever suits them when addressing friends. One person will use a nickname, one person will use a first name, another will use the last name. I went to school with a kid who had two different nicknames, which certain people used intermittently. But I would just his first name. I also had two classmates who had the same first name and we often used their last names more than their first names, when addressing either one.

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    MeBeJedi wrote

You expect last names to be used in a scene involving nicknames? Do you regularly use last names in casual conversations with your friends?

Exactly my point: Why even feature scenes that could have provided the main (!) character's name for the original May 1977 audiences (e.g. "It was just Skywalker on another rampage") at an early stage, but instead circumventing the subject and not providing Luke's genuine last name until after he met Kenobi and when he meets the princess? ;)

The rolling eyes are there because I already tried to explain in post # 2364 (on the same thread page) that information from the screenplay is first and foremost targeted at studio executives and people involved in the production - and can never automatically imply that the protagonists in-universe have access to this information, because of the Fourth Wall.

[​IMG]

"Citizen Lucas just gave me the screenplay to read, now the Alliance is finished"

;)

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    The novelization also describes him as Skywalker before the Kenobi scene. Let me know when you find any source that describes him as Lars.

4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Don't worry guys. May 25th 2017 Lucasfilm LTD will surely reveal that the OOTs on BluRay are quickly on there way to home video. Streaming, BluRay, VooDu, Mega Movies, whatever.

Lt. Hija What did you think of post #1539 ?

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    The 4K77 restoration is on its way!

Lt. Hija likes this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Which isn't surprising because all three OT novelizations are based on the screenplays. Of course I don't have a source, but I'm still waiting to hear a good explanation why Luke was hidden as a baby so his father couldn't find him, but a) on the same planet where his father originated from and b) with his father's last name...

Could you please provide a link to that post? I'm not in the mood looking for a needle in a haystick, this thread has almost 100 pages.

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Because Luke wasn't Vader's son at the time that ANH was written...which would mean there would be no reason for Luke to hide behind the name Lars at the time that ANH was written.

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    MeBeJedi wrote

Because Luke wasn't Vader's son at the time that ANH was written...which would mean there would be no reason for Luke to hide behind the name Lars at the time that ANH was written.

I concur, at the time ANH was written the offspring of Anakin Skywalker would have been of no concern for Darth Vader. Of course, that changed by the time of ROJ when both Yoda and Kenobi confirmed that Vader was Luke's father.
    But already then, Anakin was a native of Tatooine: "That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved."

Now, I don't think that Lucas considered Luke's last name to be "Lars" at the time of ANH, but the fact that he postponed the revelation of his last name until Luke met the Princess definitely avoided creating a continuity error, when Lucas changed the premise during ESB and turned Vader into Luke's father. ;)

I don't have a 4K monitor to evaluate image resolution, but colors and contrast look beautiful and genuine. :)

Perhaps (on my monitor) the image looks a wee bit too bright, but reducing brightness by the push on the remote will effectively solve this issue (in contrast, try to enhance brightness on an image that's too dark - you're screwed and don't gain anything, because half tones already got irreversibly lost) .

Tosche_Station and Hernalt like this.
  9. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I disbelieve the production values (no less depth of research) of that video. Professional, but substantive and defensible and authentic, but freshly provocative by leveraging old visions with new technology.

10. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I've finally gotten around to scanning a number of 1977 Technicolor print frames I own with color calibrated software. Here's a few of them in a collage, to give you an idea what the original Star Wars really looked like in 1977, before digital color garding altered the look of the film that started it all forever (to be fair, it already looked quite different on the 1980s/1990s home video versions):

[​IMG]

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    And of course when you take into account the prequels, he was told Padme never made it so he would have thought the unborn child would have either. So IVader was never looking for a young Skywalker as he didn't know one existed. But how was Obi-Wan to know that? Theres potential little contradictions at every turn I guess.

Another telling thing is the line you quote above when Ben is telling Luke about his father. Now we have to assume he was telling Luke a white lie about Anakin leaving Tatooine to get involved.

12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I thought that Kenobi originally assumed that Vader had died on Mustafar and didn't learn otherwise until after everything had been set (that was how it went down in Legends, at least). If so, that could explain a few things.

No doubt, even if Owen didn't want Luke joining him on a crusade of some kind anyways. There are worse retcons to have to make. (Kind of funny, but before Ben tells Luke the original story of how his father died in that movie, he pauses and looks aside uncomfortably for a moment. In retrospect, it almost looks like he's weighing his options as to what he should say.)

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I've just started reading Kenobi so that surprised me that he thought he was dead, but surely as time goes on he'll hear about Darth Vader somehow and put 2 and 2 together. Is Kenobi non-canon now?

14. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    In Legends, Kenobi first learned in the Dark Lord novel. Makes sense it would be some time, since he left Anakin to die and it takes time for news to travel about Vader becoming public, not to mention that I doubt that Vader was being connected to Anakin in public.

Yep. So far, the canonical version of Kenobi's life on Tattoine is being covered in one-shot stories of Marvel's current Star Wars comic series.

AndyLGR likes this.
  15. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    TX-20, Samuel Vimes and Lt. Hija like this.
  16. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm trying to find out about it from a couple people who were there but haven't heard back yet. My first thought was that it was perhaps Legacy? Mike has been in contact with several members of the original crew, so I could see how that could happen. I bet Kurtz knows about it at least.

17. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Mr Kurtz may well own a print from back in the day. Or it could just be the Silver Screen edition.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm guessing it's a personally owned print rather than anything else. I couldn't see him using Silver Screen, and while more likely I don't think it would be Legacy, either.

19. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I think it's worth mentioning that Disney hasn't actually released to DVD the original theatrical versions of The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast, there the sense is also that the latest version of the film is the film and/or that the changes are minor enough the original doesn't need to be preserved (and likewise with other films where the original versions are thought to be too controversial to release like Aladdin, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Fantasia, one specific scene in TLK).

20. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Well, there are two differences between the situation regarding the OOT and the original theatrical Disney films.

1. The changes made to these Disney films were made when the the films were still relatively recent. The original version of Star Wars was available for two decades before the SE's came out.

2. None of the changes made to these films were as drastic as the dozens of changes made to the OT.

TX-20, Nate787, DrDre and 1 other person like this.
  21. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Though it was 1978 for me I remember it looked pretty good, with sharper image than later movies. Is it possible it was shown in 70 mm instead of 35? Because it looked better than anything I have seen since the 80s. But maybe I just don't remember too well, it was so long ago.

22. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I think there were 70mm versions of Star Wars but they were optically copied from the 35mm versions. And so the 35mm prints (IB Tech and Eastman) are probably the sharpest ones. The movie itself was shot on 35mm film as well. But yeah, if you saw a Technicolor or Eastman print, it probably looked amazing (I'm envious).

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  23. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Right, then I must have watched a good 35 mm print. But of course the eyes of a 12-year old who hasn't really been to see a movie before would see things differently from an adult. I was probably just easily impressed at that age. I do remember pretty well however that 2001 in the movie theater looked at least as good as ANH, if not better. I was a little older that time. Of course in the early 80s the only copies on home video were terrible quality VHS tapes, in mono and full-screen. So the difference to a movie theater was much huger than today.

24. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I recently got hold of a large number of technicolor print frames for Star Wars. I was surprised how different it looked in 1977, even compared to the 1980s and 1990s video transfers:

[​IMG]

25. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    One of the most intriguing changes in the color timing for me, which actually stems from the early video transfers (although I recently discovered the 1997 SE theatrical release went back to the original color timing), is that the corridor where Leia passes the Death Star plans to R2-D2 used to be green.

[​IMG]

Tosche_Station likes this.