main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Duel of the Fates be added to ANH and ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Lars_Muul, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It just occured to me the other day: Duel of the Fates symbolizes the struggle between different fates throughout the entire saga.
    So I think it should be in all the episodes. Not as much as in TPM, just small hints.

In TESB you can actually hear something that sounds VERY much like DotF just before Vader starts Force-furling objects at Luke. It shouldn´t be to hard to add something similar in the Vader/Kenobi duel in ANH and in the battle of Endor.

....or is this an old topic?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    LMAO!!!!

I'm sorry, but I have just watched the ANH duel with DOTF playing, and it's quite possibly the most inappropriate SW track to accompany it!!

3. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    LMAO!!!!

I don't really think that reaction was needed [face_plain]

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I was laughing at the video clip I just watched, not at the suggestion of including DOTF in the OT.

That said, I can't think of an appropriate place for it. DOTF works great in TPM because of the ferocity of the fighting. The only fighting anywhere near that in the OT is Luke vs Vader in ROTJ, but I think the cue used then is pretty much perfect as it is

5. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    yes, but from some comments that have been made by Williams, it seems that it may be likely to hear it in some capacity *IF* they do a rescore...

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Unfortunately, this is the problem with introducing new themes in the PT: they disappear after Ep III, unless of course some rescoring of the OT takes place.

Personally, I'd rather they didn't rescore anything and just leave everything the way it is, and that includes not inserting the Imperial March into ANH.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I agree with Indy-bloke above

8. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Me too. The PT movies have a different feel than the OT, and they should- it's a totally different time setting, new characters, new struggle, new war.

Some themes are the same- most are not. :)

If any of you have the re-released SW VHS trilogy, they play that DOTF montage thing before each movie starts (it's for SW.com).... it just sounds WRONG. :p

9. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    What is with this need to change the OT? The films have been made and the scoring for them nearly perfected - I say nearly to appease all that don't feel it was so - and adding themes never originally meant for them only takes away from their overall effect.

On a side note: NEVER, EVER, TOUCH The Dark Side Beckons! That cue is absolutely sublime...putting DOTF over it is probably the worst change one could make, ever.

10. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    I'll be sure to tell JW next time I see him

;)

11. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    The only place I can picture it in ANH, is when Luke rushes off back to the homested and we see his speeder racing through the desert. Maybe the same version that was used when Anakin is on his swoop bike in AOTC might work. But the shot would need to be longer I suppose.

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    NOO! Do NOT change that Force Theme cue! :_|

That's one of the best uses of it in the whole saga!

Oh, and Sil, I agree. Dark Side Beckons is beautiful, haunting, and overall- AMAZING. :D

13. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I like SLAVE2's suggestion w/ the speeder.

But frankly I think DOTF should only be a TPM thing.

Eh.

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    It's like adding the Asteroid Field to space battles in the other movies.

It's amazing at the place where it is, but putting it all over the place makes it boring and repetitious. :(

15. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Sithman just put into words the kind of thing I was feeling!

I LOVE telling the story with themes, but some music needs to be special for that one flick, and just as Asteroid Field belongs only in ESB, DOTF only belongs in TPM.

And the Vader-Luke duel music should remain specific to ROTJ, of course.

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    The only thing I would do differently would be to put the Imperial March in ANH and the stormtrooper theme in the rest of the OT.

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    But frankly I think DOTF should only be a TPM thing.

Umm, friend... it's kinda late for that... ;)

*points to AOTC*

:D

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    SLAVE2: That´s exactly what I was thinking this morning! Luke´s speeder-scene would be the most appropriate place to put DotF if they add it to ANH.

19. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    strilo: Yeah, I know, and you have no idea how much that pisses me off. (The inclusion of DOTF in AOTC, not your post.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Oh, I was gonna agree with you, Adam then you added how you weren't talking about stri's posts. [face_mischief]

:p

In all seriousness, I agree, I think it was used in a very bad spot, and it just didn't fit the mood of the scene. Why not use a meloncholy, uptempo Force Theme to echo Luke's landspeeder drive in ANH? That's just an example- doing the exact same thing as ANH would be dumb.
    I think Lucas stuck it in there simply because he just wanted to put it *somewhere* in the movie.

Bad choice. :(

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nope I think it is PERFECT for that spot in the film. Fits it to a tee. Consider perhaps that it will make more sense once we see Episode III and where DOTF is used there.

I think a lot of this "DOTF should only be in TPM" attitude comes from the name they gave it, which links it to that Duel. Perhaps "Destiny of the Jedi" would be a better name for it.

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, I disagree (as usual). :p

I think the title, "Duel of the Fates" fits more in context with the WHOLE prequel trilogy than simply TPM.
    Obi-Wan's fate in TPM, Anakin's fate in AOTC (searching for his mom which starts him down the Dark path... his fate), and Obi-Wan and Anakin's fates in EpIII (during their duel, I assume).

Do I make sense? :confused:

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Do I make sense?

No. As usual.

:p :D

24. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    I does make sense when you think of the internal struggle. One note, Sithy... you say that Lucas wanted DOTF in that spot of AOTC...but I really think that its placement was a decision made by Williams. In early TPM spoilers and interviews, Williams said that this new theme would stand for the cosmic, internal battles that are waged throughout the saga. Knowing that opinion, it seems that Williams would have chosen it for that moments. Also, it would seem that if he used it there, other key places would be in the Luke/Vadar duels in both movies :_| I don't like it, but if that is what he is trying to accomplish with the DOTF theme, it would be a logical place....

25. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Maybe it should be called "Destiny of the Fates"? 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.