main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Ep VIII have more politics?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Feb 22, 2016.

1. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    It will if we're LUCKY

Jakku Sun Aesthetic likes this.
  2. Jakku Sun Aesthetic

Jakku Sun Aesthetic Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 22, 2016
    I bet Bloodline will fill in a ton of the political blanks. I'm really excited. It is probably best that they put the heavy politics in book format.

Since VIII will probably be a lot about Rey and Kylo training and since the Republic is wiped out, I don't suspect to see a whole lot of politics?

MoonFyre likes this.
  3. Avalanche19

Avalanche19 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 3, 2016
    Just chiming in to say I really enjoyed Hux's speech and the delivery of it.

DARTH_BELO and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I suppose I don't view the two concepts as mutually exclusive. Anyway, I was only saying that since the things I enjoyed about the film -- where I thought it really worked -- were all in areas of a more personal nature, but that, since the destruction scene felt a bit wide of the mark to me in this respect, that perhaps a little more politics might have helped to frame the scene better, perhaps even giving us more of a reason to feel the loss (beyond "If this were real, it would be unconscionable."). Those Leia/Korr Sella deleted scenes? They could have served an important dual-function in the film: Giving us a better understanding of the tenuous political climate while also adding to the feels as we watch Hosnian burn.

Anyway, my hope is that we will see Episode VIII up the ante on the political scenes. Particularly if it means actually getting to know at least somebody from whatever is left of the New Republic.

Now, beyond this, I hesitate to respond to the remainder of your message (just because it is less about Episode VIII politics and more about how we differ in our appreciation of a scene from TFA).

loststars likes this.
  5. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    I'd be down for more politics. I agree, I do hope we get to see more in a way to personalize the affect that blowing up Hosnian Prime had on the galaxy at large and the characters we know and love like Leia, Poe and such. I'm hoping Laura Dern is someone from the Republic that was gone at the time and survived the destruction for this reason. I think people look at the word politics and just think of what they didn't like in the prequels. The issue with the politics was that was all there was in the prequels. I actually really liked seeing all of that in the prequels, but if they showed a space battle or two before the beginning of Revenge of the Sith perhaps people would have been okay with it.

I can see Episode VIII and IX doing this well.

6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I should mention that I've only seen the movie once, so although I complained that TFA didn't give us quite enough background on the political situation, it could be that I simply forgot and/or missed some things. Of course, I plan to get the BluRay, so my opinion may change after watching it a few more times. For example, although I remember Hux giving a speech, I can't recall anything he said, so that's something I look forward to seeing again.

7. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
  8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Politics in film, executed well, IS personal. That's why the conference scene in ANH works so well. Those egos throwing their weight around, full of arrogance (and fear, once Vader enters the fray). We got some of that in TFA between Hux, Snoke and Kylo, but the dialogue was a little subpar comparatively, and somewhat less convincing as it took place in a hall that seemed more Marvel than Star Wars.

I love TFA - tied with ANH and right behind ESB for me. But some tweaks on the political landscape presentation would have elevated it, IMO.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  9. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    just no more of this please....
    [​IMG]

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I seriously doubt that they'll be any of that. If there's more of it, and I don't know how there wouldn't be given what happens in TFA, it'll probably be more "on the fly." Like if Leia meets with the new Chancellor (Lando, BDT's characters perhaps), it won't be just them sitting in a room and talking. Or if they're in a room talking, it'll be shot in an interesting way (Rian Johnson is good at that) and/or what they're saying will be interesting. And it won't drag on for too long.

Darth Nave and Blazer-Smith like this.
  11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Honestly, I really hope so. I enjoyed the politics of TPM. Probably in the minority on that but still a fun watch.

Darth Chiznuk and loststars like this.
  12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I enjoy political (heck I have a degree in Political Science) and I don't have an issue with politics in SW. But man did those scenes DRAG and they were so boring and convoluted for me.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The problem with the PT is not the politics. It's the bad politics.

14. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    There will probably be a bunch of political unrest about the Republic helping the Resistance. I'm sure this will introduce either a new bad guy or a duel role in the FO. Might be how Del Toro is introduced or maybe how Lando is reintroduced.

15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    What politics? The Senate went the way of the dinosaurs!

16. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    I think no. The destruction of Hosnian justifies the absence of politician discussions, like OT.

17. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    There were politics in all 3 OT films. ANH had the old fossils of the round table on DS-1. Also a deleted scene with Biggs & Luke talking about the Empire. TESB had Lando's deal. ROTJ was brief but Luke talking/dealing with Jabba & C3P-0 negotiating with Ewoks.