main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Will EPIII be the last Star Wars Movie??

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Takwolf, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    I think Mr. Lucas will defiantly make EP 7,8 and 9. Star Wars is a Multi Billion Dollar ?Cash Cow? that will be milked dry.

When he goes to do ?other projects" we get
    "More American Graffiti" (1979), "Howard the Duck" (1986) "Radioland Murders" (1994)

Even movies like ?Willow? (1988) failed to do well at the box office.

Only the "Raiders" movies have done really well.

And who could imagine the fate of starwars.com once EP III goes out on DVD along with the first trilogy.

Starwars.com after evolving for 10 years will go the way of ID4.com and Starshiptroopes.com.
    Either gone altogether or worse, a simple one page billboard with ?How to order? info and the occasional archive that gets old after you see it once.

Its usefulness gone, its employees laid off, just another ghost town on the informational highway.

I don't think I can go though another "Dark Time". (the years between EP VI ROTJ(1983) - the release of "Truce at Bakura" by Kathy Tyers (1994)) There was nothing Star Wars going on except the Ewok movies in 1984 & 1985 and some "Droids" cartoons if you were lucky enough to see them on TV.

And if Star Trek fans should have a endless supply movies so should we.

No the show must go on

What are your thoughts?

Tak

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I think Ep3 will be the last Star Wars movie. He's said many times in interviews he wants to do something else. So, say he does something else and he realizes he wants to do more SW. Well, by then it'll probably be too late to do another trilogy. I think we might get some T.V. or cartoon programs, but I doubt to see any more movies.

3. Takwolf

May 9, 2002
    Like DRK_HLMT said

"You know it's funny how GL has let slip the fact there were going to be more than just 6 films more than once. Either he's going senile or he has already planned on making another 3 SW films"

I could not agree more

Take

4. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Its already too late to do a trilogy VII-IX. All the original actors are well past their prime for another trilogy.

5. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    It would be nice to see another trilogy, but if George does decide to do one it will be on his terms and will probably totally demolish the EU completely. I don't see George abiding by all the rules that has been placed during the EU. It would basically be him just fitting pieces together to keep the continuity of the EU alive and GL would never go along with that. However, if he were to do some sort of trilogy, or maybe just one "closure" film, he could do one during a time long after Luke, Leia and the others are gone. Create totally new characters and let other directors come and direct them if he didn't want to.

But that's just wishful thinking on my part. I somehow know that there may never be another SW movie but as James Kirk once said (yeah, yeah I know I shouldn't quote ST!!) "There always are....possibilities."

6. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, if an Episode VII-IX were to be made it would be a continuation of the story of the Skywalker Family (as the story has always been about), so if its not about Luke, then it'll be about his kids or Leia's kids. And like you said before, there's no guarantee that Lucas will preserve EU storylines of that timeframe.

7. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    Not to beat a dead horse, but the "many times" he's let that slip equated to several misquotes by over-zealous reporters, rumors on the web, etc.

I challenge people to show me a hard copy of an article where he is quoted as saying there will be more than the 6 films, WITHOUT an accompanying statement by Georgey-poo stating he was misquoted, or was incorrect, etc.

I don't think there will be more, I don't think there should be more.

Please, Georgey-poo, don't ruin my love for the genre. =(

Chris

8. kasjedi

kasjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    I definitely think it will be the last one done by GL - and the last one in his lifetime.

It's lost it's steam and appeal. The two so far didn't create the momentum needed to support another three films sometime in the future. Acting sucked, storylines weak, and missing that magic required to really suck in new fans. I want to see the rest because I want to know how he sees the rest of the story - and I like Ewan McGregor - not because the movies have been fabulous. I'm a fan, I was hooked when I was little. I just don't think he has hooked many more dedicated die hard fans.

Now - would I be surprised to see spin offs/TV shows/other B movies about the Star Wars universe in the future? No - but only after he's dead and their nobody protecting his baby anymore (kinda liek the sequel to Gone with the Wind).

9. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, I don't see the prequels rising to the cult status of the original trilogy. There is nothing about the prequels that just stands out among the SciFi/Fantasy genre like the original trilogy did. To me it just seems like backwash told so that us old timers would have some sort of idea as to what Ben and co. were talking about when they mentioned the Clone Wars.

I find myself watching the OT even more now than the Prequels so far. Nothing in them has just gotten my attention that much. Its just filler for an awesome trilogy that has already been made. Now maybe EPIII will totally knock our socks off, but for now I prefer the OT and will always prefer the OT. And as far as a sequel trilogy, I don't think that they would fair any better. I mean, there's not much else you can go for storylines after the fall of the Empire, Palpatine and Vader. Yeah, yeah, I know that the EU has some good stories, but it's always pulling from the trilogy and after awhile it will be just pulled too thin and start to become stale.

I would like to see another SW movie, but again I think that some things should just be left alone and age gracefully, like the trilogy has.

10. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I was going to offer my 2 republic credits, but DRK_HLMT said exactly what I would have! I'm sure some would like to see a sequel trilogy because hey, it's more SW and we can all use a little more SW. But I don't think it could possibly be anywhere near what the OT is. (Just like the PT doesn't come close, but that's a different story... ;).) Hopefully Ep III will be a darn fine movie (*fingers crossed*), and the SW saga can go out with a bang.

11. Takwolf

May 9, 2002
    I think EP III with have the same "feel" of the OT. The ships will be really close the clone troopers will give way to the stormtroopers, We will probably see the rebel insignia again for the ?First time? and Darth Vader will be choking people and have the voice of James Earl Jones. Before you know it your seven years old again eating popcorn and PLAYING with your star wars figures.

That?s what I think I miss; the new movies are too complicated. Especially for young fans like we were when we started. Your average 8 year old could give a dam about trade disputes.

They just want good guys vs. bad guys and things the light up and go ?boom? the rest to me is filler.

I just want the last 3 movies because I was promised then since 1984. I waited and I believed it when I heard people say ?Well Science Fiction Special Effects have not caught up to what I want to do in the next one? And I waited thought 10 (ten) star trek movies whis great FX but I knew one day I would see on the big screen, An older Luke Skywalker teaching young Jedi in a temple.

I would see Leia leading a new republic maybe even the return of Boba Fett or the Emperor. Then the OT was re-released and I was like yes! Now he will get new fans so when the next three come out the actors will be the right age to film 7,8,and 9.

Then EP I came out. This was around the time were he first say says he will not do the last 3 just the first 3. Ok that?s ?strange? why start this over from the beginning ok I will see how it is. What I saw was Buck Rogers on speed. This was not what I wanted but everyone knew I was a big star wars fan so I took to defending EPI. ?No, Darth Maul is really cool? (he has like 4 scenes and 2 lines. Then EP II came out and that had to repair the damage EPI did.

Now I the "Last" Star Wars Movie being made and yet another part of my childhood. And I get the same feeling as when they distroyed "Memorial Stadium"

The sadness of youth lost.

Tak

12. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    Tak, I'm feelin' yer pain bud. A few notes:

Darth Maul WAS cool, but in George's defense, the reason he was given so little interaction was cuz frankly, Ray Parks can act like I can play professional football. And you don't see me in the NFL, do ya? =P Just watch Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, and you'll see how bad he is. =)

Also, if anyone chokes anyone, it'll be /evil Anakin/ choking, not DV, cuz Darthy-poo will only be making a very brief appearance in the last 5 mins or so of the movie. But I highly expect evil-Ani to wreak total havok!!

Also, I don't think we will see Ep III with more of an Original Trilogy feel just simply because Old George has lost his touch. He CAN'T recapture the old stuff. For instance: Remmeber Luke being SO naive about the Empire and the Rebellion? Mark Hamil is no fantastic actor, but George was able to PORTRAY a kid who was all gung-ho about fighting for the Rebellion, and not realizing just what he was getting into. Now look at Anakin. WHAT a tremendous character to explore the background of...what an awesome resume of events to capture on film. And look what he did? Episode 1 stunk, only reason I hvae it is just cuz I HAVE to have all things Star Wars. Episode 2 was better, but IMHO, only because the older Hayden was able to simply act better than an 8 year old (or however old the kid was)...

Just a couple thoughts...

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.