Will Episode 3 have its own score?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by irishd2, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. irishd2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Im just wondering, TPM had DOTF and AOTC had ATS (plus some more)
    so does this mean E3 will have a few new songs to offer us?

EDIT: Actually, i know it will, but what will they be?
  2. Charth_Maul Jedi Master

star 4
  3. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No. As of the latest spoilers, Lucas is making it a silent film.
  4. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    New score, yes.

New songs; probably not.

;) :p
  5. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    I imagine we'll hear a little more OT music than we did in TPM and AOTC. I'm sure there'll also be new themes.
  6. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Hah, talk about term confusion.

- Yes, Episode III will have a score.
    - Will it have a major new theme? That remains to be seen. I think we'll get some thematic material for...you know, that new general fellow.
    - Songs? Hopefully not...though some cantina music would be tolerable (I hope there won't be a cantina in Episode III, it's been done to death).
  7. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Though, one thing that does intrigue me about the Episode III score is what it's "single" will be. Like how TPM had Duel of the Fates and AOTC had Across the Stars released with music videos and all, I wonder what EpIII's will be. :confused:

I mean, we've got Vader's Theme already, Anakin and Padmé's Theme, the duel music (DOTF), Yoda's Theme, and Obi-Wan's Theme.

That seems to cover every major thematical element in what I imagine EpIII to be, so I'm curious as to what the new big "single" will be.
  8. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Master

star 4
  9. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "Luke And Leia" was the ROTJ "single", IIRC.
  10. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yeah, that one's already been done too...
  11. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hmm...good question.

Perhaps an overarching Sith Theme, used as the Force Theme is for the Jedi? I know the Emperor's Theme is used as this, but that's the Emperor's Theme. There should be a unique Sith Theme in III!
  12. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    But Obi-Wan's Theme is also the Force Theme, so I'd say it's safe to say the Emperor's Theme is also the Sith Theme.

The illustrious General Kenobi and myself have pondered this question for many moons and come up with the same definitive answer: I dunno.

My only real guess is some sort of battle music. \\shrugs\\ I mean, I know DOTF is supposed to be used for the duel (or part of it or whatever!), but maybe we'll get some different action music somewhere too.

'Tis a mystery.
  13. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps an overarching Sith Theme, used as the Force Theme is for the Jedi? I know the Emperor's Theme is used as this, but that's the Emperor's Theme. There should be a unique Sith Theme in III!

Well, there are two Sith in Episode III, Vader and Palpatine, and they each have their own theme...no need for a Sith theme, really. There could've been originally, maybe, but it's a bit late to introduce one.
  14. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Well, there are two Sith in Episode III

Ahh, but don't forget Lord Tyranus -- however much screen time he may get. Now can we dig up the old thread about the Mystery and Kamino Themes, and discuss how much they apply to him? :p

Actually, there is that portion of DOTF that is the "Sith" theme -- the part where the Sanskrit is sung/chanted. Notice how that is used softly when Maul lands on Tatooine, and how that part of the theme plays boldly as the hangar doors open...

(OK, time to crank DOTF and grab the garage door opener. :))

Bottom line: I agree that it isn't necessary to compose a new theme for the Sith.
  15. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Whatever the new theme is, it has to be for something unique only to Ep III and not something that we're left wondering why it never appears again in the OT.

My bet is that it will either be for the new villain or something akin to DOTF for the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel.
  16. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Or perhaps just a new motif or two, say for GG?

I think a brand new, major theme might seem out of place in the entire saga. (For those of you who haven't noticed, I'm a Saga person. ;))

p.s. We're kind of drifting into the Episode III Score Speculation thread a bit here.
  17. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Or perhaps just a new motif or two, say for GG?"

You know, that sounds like the most reasonable thing. Something like the Boba Fett motif was to TESB and the Mystery Motif was to AOTC. Just from what I saw in the cartoon, it seems like General Grevious I guess.

And I agree with you-- the saga is almost bursting full of themes by now. There's not many more people/relationships/things to cover with a big, new, theme. Like I said before, it seems as if everything is covered.

But that said, I'm sure it's great for EpIII publicity to release a big "single" and music video, so I'm sure there'll be somthing. After all, every Star Wars album to date has had one or two (or three!) new themes which the film is known for and centralized around.

There'll be a new big theme, for sure. I just don't know what, and how it'll work.

\\shrugs\\
  18. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yes, Sithman, I know Obi-Wan's Theme is used as the main Jedi Theme. Realized the problem with my logic yesterday. :p

Interesting how the two main confrontational themes in the saga boil down to just two people-Obi-Wan and Sidious.

Yes, G-K, that's an excellent idea.
  19. Clear_Water Jedi Knight

star 1
    I bet Lucas just drops in all the main themes from previous recordings - he's dunnit before. If you look @ it this way, over half the score is already written & recorded. Not that I approve but - but he's not gonna change for the fans...
  20. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Don't see why he'd do that, noob.

Anyway, I'm guessing it'll have an original score.
  21. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Anyway, I'm guessing it'll have an original score. "

Don't be so sure about that. :p After all, the entire end sequence for AOTC was tracked in music, so maybe George'll just go the next step and use entirely music from previous film for EpIII.

Think of all the money he'd save! :p
  22. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I`m guessing we'll get some darker new themes,but we will also get some familarity
  23. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Dark new themes"? What for? We've already got Vader, Sidious, the Sith, the Empire and even Dooku (the Mystery Theme).

24. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Well, if some of your worst predictions come true, we could hear the theme from "Jaws" in Ep. III.

New, darker, recycled...

:p
  25. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Well,I was thinking for the whole Empire Sith concept
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.