main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Episode 7 be PG-13?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 4, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    You can even drop one F-bomb (X-Men: First Class). Not that I'll ever happen in Star Wars (hopefully).

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, 2 out of 3 recent and 5 out of 6 total have not been been PG-13, don't know that it is this obvious, but hope you are right.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The first film to be rated PG-13 came out in 1984 so that precedent doesn't exactly mean much these days - especially since studios are beginning to "aim" for PG-13 for these kinds of movies since that tends to correlate with profits. PG has been diluted down to a "strictly children's fare that adults might enjoy" category, and teenagers avoid them like the plague. Episode VII being PG wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, but I would be very surprised.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd say both because Star Wars has always been like that.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Contrary to popular belief, the MPAA ratings system isn't static (even after PG-13 was added) and there are no set criteria for ratings-- e.g., the "one f-word" rule for PG-13 is a fairly recent tradition and doesn't always apply. I think that ESB at the least would be pushing the PG rating limit today with some of the violence it has.

I don't expect a "gritty reboot"-- although I wouldn't exactly be mad to see one tried-- but I hope that without Lucas at the helm, we'll at least be spared "humor" such as Jar Jar antics or the droid slapstick at the beginning of RotS.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    From my understanding, that is exactly what the live action TV series is.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's been a live action TV series since at least 2005. I'll believe it exists and any details about it when I see a trailer.

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s not just done on violence. It’s also about the tone and the actual genre of the film. Over here in the UK, AOTC was the first Star Wars film to be given a PG rating. All the ones before were given a U rating, which I believe is the equivalent of the US' G. AOTC is full of decapitations and various other forms of violence, as well as mass slaughter (although implied, rather than seen). It was still rated PG, though, because of the (very) heavy fantasy setting. I'm sure that if the film had taken place in the real world, it would have at least got a 12 rating (PG13), or maybe higher. I think the only reason why ROTS was rated higher was because, even with the fantasy setting, it completely pushed the envelope for a PG rating. Especially Anakin's burning. I don't think you could have gotten away with that in a PG rated film.

Still, being “dark and gritty” seems to be all the rage now. That’s why I think Episode VII’s level of violence will be more like ROTS than any of the other ones. I think it will get a PG13/12 rating in the US and UK.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That is the one thing that I have heard that has been consistent, that these are dark and more for adults. The Deadwood comparison by McCallum is likely an exaggeration, but I am interested to see what these are like. Agreed we won't know until we see them (if we see them).

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Lets take a popular Fantasy Movie Lord of the Rings, it managed to score PG-13 Ratings with plenty of limbs getting hacked off and arrows being shot. PG-13 is a done deal.

Still the main reason it will be PG-13 is too score maximum profit. PG-13 means you hit all the demos by not being to kiddy or to disgustingly violent (and no someone getting shot or stabbed does not count).

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think it will be PG-13 for story and money reasons. I don't think it will be any harder than what we've previously seen, but we've always seen some death, violence and I expect this will continue.
    As others have said, a PG rating this day in age for this type of movie just doesn't make the same kind of money, though being a Star Wars movie, I guess it's possible that this might not apply. But if it were me, I'd go for PG-13 anyway.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, indeed several others seemed to think that.

That makes a fair amount of sense, excepting the fact that 2 out of 3 PT movies came out in what is really "this day and age," yet they were PG; I'm sure PG-13 was the majority of action flicks in the early 2000's also, yet they didn't seem to think that making them PG-13 was the thing to do for the majority of the time that they were making PT; why not? No one seems to address that: what is the difference?

Even if you take out the fact that they didn't have PG-13 when the OT came out, the same LF is making this one as well as having made the others; Disney will not be the ones in the creative process or micromanaging the end result.

13. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I completely agree. Besides, as was said above, Star Wars toes the line on current PG-13 as it is, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it earn that rating, even though it might be on the "tamer" side of the rating depending on how "dark" it is.

14. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I say write the script, shoot the film and if it ends up being PG-13 then so be it. Make your film and worry about the rating afterwards.

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Man, it better be PG13. There's no point in pulling punches, now. They have to keep it new and interesting, and holding back any director in the next film, or films, will only hurt the storytelling. What made ROTS the best of the Prequels is the PG13 type of seriousness and violence.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  16. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I may be the only one actually hoping that Episode VII is PG. It's easy to forget that the Star Wars movies have always been kids movies or at the very least fairly wholesome family entertainment, and the final trilogy of this Saga should continue in that tradition. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more toys etc. as well as seeing the movie with my girlfriend and her daughter who will still only be 9 by that time. Plus the family-friendly fun of Star Wars is one of the things that always takes me back to my childhood and the series should never lose that quality, even if it strays into darker territory occasionally. Besides, the first act of a trilogy doesn't need to be overly dark or intense. It should start out lighter and more fun so that it has somewhere to go in the subsequent chapters. Lucas understood this when he made the first two trilogies, and even though people think of ROTJ as a lighter movie (primarily because of the Ewoks), a lot of the subject matter was more mature and complex than the previous two movies, and certainly much more so than ANH, which is as superficial as a Star Wars movie gets... yes, even far more than TPM, which has lighter elements like Jar Jar thrown into a narrative which when taken alongside the following films is actually rather mature and complex as well.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. I think they should avoid the limitations of a PG rating. They need to bring it this time, a story without restraints; you can expand the content and depth of the movie without the PG limitations in a lot of ways; they can deal with more adult themes and scenes that make things more real. Yes, I think kids should be able to enjoy it, but I think adults should also. I think basing the story in too much JJ Binks, Ewoks, or robot slapstick lessens the story for anyone past about the fourth grade. They can always have a few characters younger kids like without lessening it for everyone else. It is really time to take it to another level here, the anticipation will be huge.
    I agree also that Sith was deeper than the other PT's, and part of that needed PG-13-type material to work.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  18. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. RoTS was the darkest of the six. It may be a while before we see more heads roll. Next one may go PG, can't see it being as dark as RoTS but I wouldn't complain if it was. PG or PG-13 "It Makes Little Difference".

19. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I think it is unlikely, In the end WB managed to have the Potter films suitable for 6 year olds from what I remember(not sure about the last one but at least the first 4 or so)They would lose out on a lot of visitors if star wars wasnt rated for 6 year olds(German rating; next one up is 12)
    Also in Star wars people may have lost limbs et such, but it was never gory, or graphic, it was always quite clean(cauterized ;) )

20. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Right - gore is what bumps it up, not just chopping off stuff.

21. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Hmm... yousa point is well seen.

I dread a situation like the Nolan movies where kids can't really enjoy the movies. That just shouldn't happen. But an Avengers style PG13 I can dig.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  22. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Yep you can get a way with death as long as its not gratuitous.

23. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Skaddix also depends on what kind of deaths. Millions die in Star Wars and it gets PG. A few concentration camp prisoners die in a Holocaust movie and it gets R.

24. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Well true but blowing up a planet does not really show the people dying if we flashed down to see them getting their faces melted of in slow motion then yeah R. Still I think we can all agree there is no chance of this being an R Rated Movie.

25. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Well thats the US panels view- In Germany Schindlers List for example is rated 12 up.