main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episode III be the best SW movie? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSapient, Apr 14, 2004.

?

Will Episode III be the best SW movie? Yes or No?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes

64.5%
  2. No

35.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace38915Sora

Ace38915Sora Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    Yes all the way!Yes!!!!!

2. Thulium

Thulium Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 1999
    I had to vote no on this based on technicalities. It asks if it is the best and the answer is definately "no". Will it be the most popular? I hope so. Will it be my personal favorite? Possibly, we shall see. Will it be the most entertaining? Perhaps, but I doubt it can beat ESB in that department.

ANH is the only film in the saga that is complete in and of itself, and it innovated and captured the world's imagination like no other movie before or since. It's really tough to beat credentials like that. For best "standalone" film, you can't really pick any other because all the other films are just pieces of the saga. Only ANH works standalone. Well, TPM could potentially work as a standalone, but only as much as it "echoes" ANH.

However, Irvin Kirschner directed a masterpiece in ESB and created a cliffhanger serial that is one of very VERY few sequels that surpasses the original. Currently many RotS reviewers are saying things like "the dialog is a little clunky, but Star Wars was never known...blah blah"--that is not the case in ESB. Leia, Han, and Luke engage in witty banter on Hoth at a level that has yet to be approached in the PT. Made in the 70's and released in 1980, some might call the dialog corny but it was never "clunky". Beyond that, ESB is jam packed with more eternally memorable scenes than any other. That is one measure where it might be possible for RotS to surpass ESB, but I have enough doubt in that and with the documented dialog quibbles, I am all but certain RotS can't be the best of the saga.

The bottom line:

There's only one real "standalone, " so that trophy goes by default to ANH.

ESB holds a death-grip on best chapter in the saga.

With those established, I am still withholding judgement on which movie is my personal favorite. Until the saga is complete, I am not even inclined to rank the other 5 movies and just stick RotS in there somewhere because I am hopeful that Episode III will do as promised and change how I view the entire saga and could potentially rearrange my favorites entirely. Who knows, I might end up liking TPM more than ever before?

3. mo9630

mo9630 Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2004
    yes, i think so

4. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    yes, definately

5. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Dunno - ask me in 20 years. I'm pretty certain it'll be the one I watch the most over the next half a decade, but as to wether it will be my fav, I really can't say.

6. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    I voted no, because it's gonna be pretty hard to beat ESB. I definately think it will be better than TPM, AOTC, ROTJ, and it could be better than ANH, but I still think ESB will hold strong.

7. Imperial Politician

Imperial Politician Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 9, 1999
    I voted no before, and I still vote no. But it wil be better than ROTJ (which stylized, I like the least).

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    If we go by "Explains the most," I don't know if it will or will just confuse and disappoint the heck out of me.

9. Vaders_Yarmulke

Vaders_Yarmulke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    I hate to make any predictions since I will not know until around 2:30 AM Thursday morning, but judging by all the material I have read and the experiences I have had with all movies, I expect ROTS to be 4th overall on my list. I currently rank the series:

1.) ESB
    2.) ANH
    3.) ROTJ
    4.) AOTC
    5.) TPM

I have not been a gushing fan of the PT, as I am of the OT, though I do enjoy the films for their inclusion into the grand epic. I also find the PT to be entertaining nonetheless, whereas I have been horrified at some of the drivel "Hollywood" has produced in the last 10+ years. The diamonds have been buried deep in a thickening rough. But Star Wars transcends all Hollywood projects, and I do mean all of them. No matter how good a movie Fight Club might have been or LOTR or Titanic (to a lot of average movie goers), no movie or series has ever garnered the hype and spectacle of the Star Wars franchise. I only mention this little diatribe to add context when I say I was not as impressed with the PT, because in light of the OT it doesn't say much, but against all other movies out there it speaks volumes. I'll take Jake Lloyd's "now this is pod racing" over Leo's "king of the world" any day.

I have a special place in my movie-loving heart for the OT, and no matter what Lucas did, he probably could not have stole that spot, so his PT will just have to settle for the penumbra.

10. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    I´m a 100% certain that it will be for me.
    Such powerful emotions are just unbeatable drama.
    Visually it will most likely be unchallenged as well.

11. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
  12. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Yes from me! I'll let you all know in a little over 39 HOURS!

13. kirkmaulsithlord

kirkmaulsithlord Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    as dark and uncertain as esb was, rots is darker. you never see, other than stupid admirals waiting to be promoted and killed, darth vader hunt and destroy. just think, that before he was more man than machine. his power is unhindered by a machine.

i saw rots, it is sooo sad. you know what is going to happen, but somehow hold on to the fact he may not turn. padme's intervention, obiwans guidance, anakin's love for padme, and yoda's wisdom towards ani earlier in the film, the turn is soo sudden, but not really. but when ani becomes darth vader, he is a machine. he hunts, kills, and shows no emotion. scary and sad.

14. SupremeChancellor

SupremeChancellor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    I would love to think so... but the truth is most people believe the "I am your father" moment in EP5 is the greatst moment in film history. They also believe that ESB is the best film.
    Im a RotJ man myself.
    Whn you think RotS wont have any huge plot twists, it will not be as memorable.

I would love to see it but there have been mixed reviews (mostly positive) and I dont think it will go down in history as the greatest film ever made.

15. MrGeek

MrGeek Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
  16. kirkmaulsithlord

kirkmaulsithlord Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    it will not be the best movie ever, but it will provide the answer of how ani becomes vader. it is good. it is on par with the original trilogy.

17. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    No, nothing can top TESB

18. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    It will be the best movie ever!
    For me and millions of others!
    Surrender to the power of the dork side!
    You know it to be true!

19. DarthDco

DarthDco Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2005
    I hope so, i enjoyed the last two as much as the OT.
    So going by that.... ill let you know on Thursday!

20. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Hopefully, we can start a NEW POLL on Thursday, asking whether RotS IS the BEST movie.

21. Yodaman_Elitest

Yodaman_Elitest Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    as much as i can't wait to see episode3 it will never be able to match up to the power that the empire strikes back holds.

22. sith-22

sith-22 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    agreed ESB will always be Number 1

23. Luke_Landwalker

Luke_Landwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    Possible

I love saying that.

24. LordVader2006

LordVader2006 Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2005
    I think ROTS has the potential to be the best of them all but I do think it will definetly be the best of the prequel trilogy. I think that ROTS could change which episodes are my favorite. Until now, my favorites were as follows: ROTJ,ESB,ANH,TPM,AOTC.
    ROTJ was always my favorite because I always loved the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. And Episode III is the one I've been waiting to see for a long time. My opinion of TPM has changed and I have a feeling it might improve a lot after I see ROTS. Cause I always did see the Star Wars saga as the story of Anakin Skywalker, I didn't see it like this until the first time I saw ROTJ. ROTS will alter the way I view all the movies I suppose, but AOTC is and will likely remain my least favorite one of the 6-part trilogy.

25. DarthContinent

DarthContinent Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    How can you vote against GUINESS and FORD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.