main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episode III be the best SW movie? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSapient, Apr 14, 2004.

?

Will Episode III be the best SW movie? Yes or No?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes

64.5%
  2. No

35.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristof

kristof Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    It sure has the potential and I can see it being the most played out of the lot on my DVD player.

Despite my reservations about the PT I have to admit that AOTC goes on a lot more than the OT these days, perhaps ESB being a close second.

2. DARKAURUM

DARKAURUM Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    Quote:
    GL is directing this movie. So....no.

Fellow basher, I salute you... preach on!

Someone else said whether or not this movie will be as good as ESB lies in the dialogue. And therein lies the proof that ESB will reign supreme, seen as it wasn't written or directed by Lucas.

And yes, I know Lucas wrote ANH, and it was good, but the first draft was written in 1970 or something.

Here's why this won't beat out ESB:
    -it's the last SW movie. Will George go easy on the CGI, or overboard? Winner: ESB
    -it will contain lines something like this during 'the duel':

ANAKIN: I truly, deeply, sexily, hate you Obi-Wan, and before you die, I wanted you to know.

And with all of the limb-chopping in 'the duel', it will look like this:

OBI WAN: Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left!
    ANAKIN: Yes I have!
    OBI WAN: LOOK!!!
    ANAKIN: Just a flesh wound! (kicking OBI WAN again)
    OBI WAN: Look, STOP that!
    ANAKIN: Chicken!!! Chicken!!!!!!!
    OBI WAN: Look, I'll have your leg!
    (ANAKIN continues his kicking)

Finally, I have this to say: Remember 'The Matrix' trilogy? Remember how much it ruled when it was just the first movie, and how everyone thought the sequels would be wicked, as there was no possible way they could suck? Well, the Matrix sequels were full of 'been-there-done-that' FX, inane dialogue, and unanswered questions.

How can I trust Lucas again after he's disappointed me twice already? Even in the 'impossible to ruin' third movie. Sigh. Conclusion: ESB still wins.

3. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    How can I trust Lucas again after he's disappointed me twice already?

I can feel your excitement for EP3 growing :p.

4. kristof

Jun 29, 2000
    "How can I trust Lucas again after he's disappointed me twice already? Even in the 'impossible to ruin' third movie.

Simple. Hope for the best, it's not that difficult and apart from Grievous everything is looking great in my opinion.

5. DARKAURUM

DARKAURUM Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    I can feel your excitement for EP3 growing

You got me, I am excited. But more pessimistic that the last two times around.

Oh, and I forgot to add in Return of the King as an example of an impossible to ruin trilogy gone bad. Two Towers and Fellowship were awesome, and ROTK had just a little too much amiguously gay hobbits. And plot holes.

6. dw2121

dw2121 Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2004
    I?m not really holding out for Episode III to be that much different to the Attack of the clones, I think the story will be much better but as for quality of film well sorry but so far its been so disappointing. I mean watch the Original Trilogy then put on TPM and ATOC and they don?t even come close to the OT. The Original Trilogy cannot be beaten they were a one off at the time. Lucas hadnt directed a film since the Original Star wars, I think these Prequels should of been done in a different way maybe with Guest Directors such as Steven Spielberg or Peter Jackson sharing Lucas?s vision with there movie making skills. I think Lucas is a Great Story teller but a mediocre director hence why the first 2 Prequels are mediocre.

7. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Yes. It will be even better than AOTC.

8. JOBOB_THE_HUTT

JOBOB_THE_HUTT Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2003
    NO

I think it will be better than AOTC, surely.
    BUT
    [image=http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/34/003_empireaarp.jpg]
    OWNS!

9. kristof

Jun 29, 2000
    That does look good doesnt it :D

10. DirkDiggler2

DirkDiggler2 Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2003
    It will not be as good as ANH. What can be? But it could come second or third in the order.

11. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    I voted "Yes". And I really hope that I (and the other people who voted "Yes") are right.. I really hope so.

12. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    Someone else said whether or not this movie will be as good as ESB lies in the dialogue. And therein lies the proof that ESB will reign supreme, seen as it wasn't written or directed by Lucas.

And yes, I know Lucas wrote ANH, and it was good, but the first draft was written in 1970 or something.

TESB STORY was written by GL, the script adaptation was written by Lawrence Kasdan and Leigh Brackett, but it was George Lucas' story.

By the way George Lucas DIRECTED ANH also.

13. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Aaaaah, the inevitable "George Lucas is directing so it's gonna suck" quibbles.

No matter how amazing the film is, there are gonna be folks who blindly hate it for no other reason than Lucas being the man behind the camera.

I think many are going to be surprised by just how gritty, layered, and complex the Episode III script will be. George is ace when it comes to writing about the Dark Side and Sith.

14. Dune_Sardaukar

Dune_Sardaukar Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2004
    I said yes. Theres gonna be better fighting and plenty of it. All we need now is a great twist and i think that Ep.III will be the best!

15. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    There's gonna be so much fighting and darkness and darkness and fighting ...

,.. and dark fighters who fight darkly ...

... not to mention darking and fightness ...

... and, oh, it'll be meh. Like Jedi, like the prequels thus far. Just meh.

We'll have two films that are ten times better than they have any right being and four films that can't quite live up to their extraordinary promise. Not bad, all in all. Pretty good, in fact.

But no. It wont be the best. Come on.

16. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    There's going to be so much body in Episode 3, even more body than ESB. Thus...

my future Star Wars rankings:

Episode 3
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ANH
    AotC

yes, I like TPM more than ANH.

17. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    I congratulate you, BothOfUs, for fielding the most perplexing rankings I have ever seen.

18. BothofUs

Nov 5, 2003
    I don't see how anyone could oppose my rankings. But obvioulsy people do. I think TPM had charm. Even more charm than ANH. ANH is great though....it's only when you get to Clones does the quality make a significant drop.

but on topic...I'd say that Episode 3 has the potential to combine all the best parts, styles, themes, and characters of the entire saga!

Episode 3 is the allstar movie of the saga.

19. BabaORileyFett

Mar 17, 2002
    What's so perplexing about his/her list? It should be obvious by now these forums yield a variety of opinions.

Not everyone holds ANH and ESB way at the top.

20. Child_of_the_70s

Child_of_the_70s Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2003
    I mean watch the Original Trilogy then put on TPM and ATOC and they don?t even come close to the OT. The Original Trilogy cannot be beaten they were a one off at the time.

I'm with ya, brother.

Question - people who prefer AOTC to ANH or ESB - are you over 20 years of age? How can one honestly think that it's a better film? Or am I missing the fanboy gene and don't know that movies like this are evaluated solely on whether they contain "kick-ass effects?"

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I voted yes.

For me, Attack of the Clones come close to The Empire Strikes Back, as the best, but doesn't quite reach it. I'm expecting Episode III to be better the AOTC, so I think there's a very reasonable chance that it will surpass ESB. :)

22. BabaORileyFett

Mar 17, 2002
    I'm 26, and AOTC is my fave Star Wars film.

Why? So many reasons. I'll repost what I wrote in the AOTC forum months ago:

One of the most enjoyable films I've come across the last decade. Its rewatchability factor is sky-high.

Visually, its breathtaking. George has an eye for vivid color, stupendous backdrops, and rich, harmonious imagery.

The connections and parallel themes to the OT are welcome and brilliantly manifested.

I'll add that the film has HEART. The Tatooine sequences are some of the saga's most powerful scenes. The love story exudes an unabashed innocence, naked and vulnerable, giving the film purity and warmth.

The story is the most intriguing of all the films.

23. Moojieba

Moojieba Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2004
    Well, here's the thing.....

When we all heard that the Lucas was making new Star Wars movies, and that they would be prequels, what popped into your head?

Was it wonders about the Trade Federation? Anakin's mother? The origin of Beru and Lars? C-3P0?

NO!!!

You thought about Anakin'a transformation into Vader! The duel between Vader and Obi-Wan! Palpatine siezing power and turning the Republic into the Empire! The CLone Wars! The Jedi purge!

Everything that we have been wanting to see since the announcement of these movies has been saved for Episode III. To me, Episode's I and II had filler. Important setting up material, but filler all the same. Some interesting trivia - Anakin created C-3P0. Some cool fanboy stuff - Yoda fighting, seeing the light saber go through the blast doors.

So, yes, IMHO, Episode III will be the best of the PT. Whether or not it beats any of the OT movies.......horse of a different color.

24. Dune_Sardaukar

Dune_Sardaukar Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2004
    First of all, i think that all of the Star Wars movies are top notch, but Ep.III will be the best because of the technology that we have now. That is some awseome fighting going on in TPM and AOTC. They arent as good as ESB and ROTJ but they are close to ANH if not better.

Don't get me wrong. I still think that ANH had a better story line, but im looking for action and the two prequels provided a little taste for things to come. Did you read that a little tast for things to come. The duels with Maul and Dooku were just a taste of things to come.

Thats how i feel anyways. Man this movie better not let me down! By the way i liked your list and im tired of seeing the same order everytime.

EP.III
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TPM-only because of that duel with Maul
    ANH
    AOTC

I'm Twenty!!!

25. BothofUs

Nov 5, 2003
    That's the same ranking as me...nice. But I don't even like the Obi-Wan duel very much. We must like the movie for other reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.