main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episode Three make the most money out of all the films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Comp625, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp625

Comp625 Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    I haven't posted much in this boards, I just really read topics, so bare with me on this since I'm still kind of new to this. But anyhow, will Episode Three make the most money out of all six of the films? In my opinion I feel that it will make more money then The Empire Strikes Back, Attack of the Clones and Return of the Jedi since that Star Wars Fans have been waiting a long time to finally see what makes Anakin turn into Vader, how the Jedi are wiped out, and all of the others things that will be included. The Phantom Menece and A New Hope might be over taken but that's a pretty tall hill for the movie to climb. What does everyone else think about it?

2. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Episode III will make more then AOTC but not by much $330 Million seems about right,
    though at this time we cannot be sure at ALL...

Good Promotion could lead to more...Bad Promotion could lead to less,
    its too hard to tell at this time
    :)

~ICeBReaKeR

3. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I'd say if Lucasfilm markets Ep3 as poorly as they did AOTC, it will gross 300-335 million. If they market it well, then a bit more. I think 400 million is remote though.

4. ShemoDarth

ShemoDarth Jedi Master star 1

Jun 30, 2002
    i think it will make the most because people will notice that IT IS THE LAST STAR WARS MOVIE EVER!!!! :_|

5. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    It'll do a little bit better than AOTC if marketed the same. But if they actually do more than announce hte release of the movie, it should easily have a huge opening, but critics will bash it to hell and gone.

6. Master_Kryo_Nekros

Master_Kryo_Nekros Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2002
    HMMMMM. . . .IT'S HARD TO TELL. WHAT I KNOW ALMOST FOR CERTAIN IS THAT IT WILL HAVE THE BIGGEST OPENING OF ALL SIX. THIS IS BASED ON MY BELIEF THAT AS TIME PASSES THERE ARE MORE AND MORE FANS EAGER TO SEE THE MOVIE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. BY THE WAY, MY GUESS IS YEAH IT WILL.

7. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    While I think that initially it will do really well, I think it will not hang on as long as AOTC. I don't think that it will be one that your average Joe movie goer will rewatch, like AOTC was.

I remember hearing an old interview with GL, right before TPM opened. He said that he predicted TPM would be the biggest money maker out of the three, that AOTC would be the one that people would like the best, and that EpIII would barely break even with production costs. When asked why, he just make comments that it would be dark, darker than anything he has done since film school. This is because it would make people uncomfortable, exposing darkness that they know is within them, that they don't want to acknowledge.

Well, he has been right on the first two so far, I guess only time will tell.

8. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Its possible cause this is what we've all been waiting for for 25 years. How did Anakin turn into Vader? Its gonna make about the same as TPM.

9. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    well, if you consider that by 2005, ticket prices will be in the vicinity of $20 each, i see no problem for EpIII to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time. of course, GL could delay it 22 years and get the really big bucks when tickets are $82.50 and we nerds have grown old and decrepid, wasting our existences camping by the movie theatre...

10. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    well, if you consider that by 2005, ticket prices will be in the vicinity of $20 each, i see no problem for EpIII to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Ah, but don't they adjust for inflation? :p

Gaah, tickets cost waaay too much these days. Honestly, is there any reason they need to continually raise prices, other than to sap my wallet?

I dunno...I think the question is, will it matter if EpIII is/isn't the highest grossing of all the films?

11. AOTCStarwchic

AOTCStarwchic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2002
    Well I'm kind of estimating 330-435 million but I'm barley 13 so I really don't know a lot about movie business stuff. But if TPM can make 431 million and AOTC can make 300+ million then I think SW EP.3 has a good chance of making an amount that is a bit inbetween our estimates and I have only been waiting for this for about half my lifetime (7 yrs to be exact)

12. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Probably not... Lucas has been a pretty good guesser with the box office grosses lately, I'm gonna trust his judgment.

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Sadly, Episode III is going to be the most critically reviled Star Wars movie ever, even worse than TPM. :eek:

I mean, if you think about it, they tore ESB apart for these reasons, why not do it again?

The movie will have no clear beginning or ending.

Expectations will be higher than they were for TPM, because this is THE movie that Star Wars fans have been waiting for since ANH. TPM was just the first one in 20 years, so people anticipated it. III is the final, and everyoen expects it to be so fantastically huge. I'll be satisfied, but don't expect Ebert to love it.

So huge opening if they market it a little more than they did for AOTC, but the overall running will hang around 300 mil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.