main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will fan backlash affect development of IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    Yes thank you.

I hated Poe in TLJ.

Poe fan service was horrible. He completely overshadowed Finn.

His scene where he calls Holdo coward and traitor and then started hitting thing was THE worst.

I could not stand him after that.

And now he will lead the resistance.

Why oh why ?

He got them killed in the first place.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  2. NexuLeader

NexuLeader Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 18, 2017

It's not about upsetting the fanbase by being involved. It's that, by being involved, he is only deepening the divide between the people who loved the movie (aka this thread) and the people who didn't. The people who didn't like the movie aren't going to have their mind changed by twitter quips and condescension in interviews, so the "push back" doesn't solve anything. Of course people who loved the movie see the director confirming their opinions and support him.

This is anecdotal, but as I said I didn't like the film. I'm still making an honest effort to fit it into my understanding of Star Wars because I would like to enjoy new content from the franchise moving forward. But when Rian goes on public outlets and says what amounts to 'yeah, fans who didn't like the movie just didn't understand it,' try to see it from our side: that just sounds condescending.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    mlsw, Shadao and darth-umbralis397 like this.
  3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Colin Trevorrow and Zack Snyder were raked through the coals over the last year for their movies and they never went on social media and said a word. They behaved like professionals. Pablo and Rian could learn a thing or two from their example.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  4. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Really? So now it’s bad that the directors and people who worked on these movies want to interact with the fan base? Rian hasn’t been antagonistic and very reasonable and professional. I ask you to find me one tweet from Rian where he is antagonistic towards a fan. Colin was hardly professional on twitter after Jurassic World or Book of Henry came out.

I get that you really dislike Rian Johnson but can you tone it down just a pinch. If he didn’t interact at all people would be so quick to claim that he’s shut himself off and “chicken”. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You are really getting rather fanatical about Johnson, aren't you?
    It's reaching the point where your fixation on him seems rather unhealthy.

There is nothing unprofessional about what Johnson is doing, nor about what Pablo Hidalgo is doing. You are just grasping at any straw you can find to bash and insult those responsible for TLJ. Now interacting with fans in a calm and proper manner somehow gets twisted into being such a huge offense, it's really ridiculous.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    jaqen and Satipo like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Let's keep from getting fixated on other members.

Shadao and darth-umbralis397 like this.
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The problem for Rian was JJ came up with his Mystery boxes & Rian basically said stuff you & rightly so ,

JJ can come up with who Rey's parents really are if he dares but Luke & Snoke are dead as dead can be but Luke will be a force ghost for sure in EP9 ,

If JJ panders to the so called OT lovers Backlash , then he will copy & paste ROTJ - god help us & him............

8. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Regarding fan backlash affecting IX, I saw this today and had a good laugh. (Watch the video, not the article.) I hope people can sit back and laugh at the tendency some of us fans have to defend and refute ad nauseam.

Darth Nave likes this.
  9. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    As far as RJ goes, he is really a good dude. I wasn’t physically in line at the time but at SW celebration he went through the line of people waiting for the last jedi trailer to drop overnight to talk to them. There were probably 1000 people in line and he went and interacted with all of them. Never seen a director do that before.

MrElculver2424 and Star war like this.
  10. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    IIRC both JJ and Kennedy bought pizza for those waiting in line at Celebration 2015.

Star war and Satipo like this.
  11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I have zero problem with RJ refuting the people shouting at him on twitter. And it's telling that when they get answer it bounces off them and they then get angry at RJ for daring to respond. Don't yell at someone if you aren't prepared to handle getting some (usually completely deserved) push back.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  12. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Yeah, RJ isn't doing anything that he hasn't done before. He likes to interact with fans whether they praise or criticize him. He was actively engaged with fans during the ScarGate (lol), the RomanceGate (lol), etc too. Nothing new.

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The more I think about about this phrase, the weirder it gets.

14. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
  15. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    LOL.... yeah, do not agree on that. I like that Johnson and Hidalgo believe enough in the work to defend it. Generally speaking, when faced with civil criticism, Johnson's reaction is to explain why he did what he did. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. Of course, he appropriately slaps down the idiots and those making ridiculous claims and arguments.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    What? RJ has been nothing but professional, gracious and understanding on social media. You know, even when he’s being met with un-evolved, childish, so-called adults and sociopathic sub-humans threatening his life. He’s just a very quietly strong-willed person, not once coming across as arrogant, who sticks to his convictions. He's got a brain, that's all, and a lot of fans seem to dislike that for some reason.

17. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Yeah...why would simply being on social media make one "unprofessional?" It matters how you conduct yourself. Rian was focused, quiet, and responded to fans in a very gracious way all the way through.

Krueger and Satipo like this.
  18. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    RJ made a controversial movie. So journalists and fans have questions for him. he responds to them. And in a clever, sometimes funny way IMO (watch the homer simpson gif haha). Movies like Jumanji don't have to go through this because, well, there's nothing more to say about them, you like them or don't like them but they're easy to decipher.

Krueger, jaqen and Satipo like this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I hope JJ doubles down on RJ's approach to TLJ.

And I'm really, really looking forward to RJ's trilogy. Oh the rustled jimmies.

20. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    No worries!!

21. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    No surprise. JJ, KK, Iger, Horn loved the movie. It isn't a situation where they knew they had a turd on their hands and were crossing their fingers for it to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to make money. They loved it, critics loved it and the movie was generally liked outside of Audience Score at RT. I remember that Cinemascore was A and Cinemascore is no less or more reliable than other measurements of audience satisfaction or lack thereof.

So my point is, TPTB loved the movie and they have the final say.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    jaqen, Satipo and IncessantRamblings like this.
  22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The movie was also a financial success, as this article reasoned out (placed ninth and sixth overall worldwide and in the States respectively). Whether you personally liked or hated it, the movie was a success across the board. As far as I can tell, the backlash was much smaller than they made themselves out to be.

jaqen and Birkendoc like this.
  23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    And these things generally are much more insignificant than those doing the bashing care to say. Infact even when there are hundreds of posts in a comment section bashing the film a lot of that is done by a handful of people posting over and over and over again.

I still say that if the RT audience score never happened (which has pretty much been proven at this point that there was tampering done on it) this whole backlash thing never would have been a story.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    jaqen and Satipo like this.
  24. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    And like Jumanji, those types of "safe" films are not all that memorable.

25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Interesting, given that I've seen several different anti-TLJ groups insist that those RT audience scores have been proven genuine (of course, in this day and age where truth and lies are highly politicized and some of us are ruled by a compulsive liar who brands anyone who dares speak the truth as "fake news," trust is kinda hard to have).

I do agree that the RT score was probably the only reason this piece of clickbait when mainstream; the movie got good audience scores on similar aggregate sites, the movie did do some pretty gutsy things that understandably would've made it less universally accepted than it's predecessor, and Star Wars fans not liking a Star Wars movie is business as usual. Nine times out of ten, when a hater is trying to "prove" that TLJ was a failure, if their not citing the box office scores (which were expected to be below TFA and still were very good in any event) or their own personal dislikes (I can't count how many "reviewers" I've seen who claim that TLJ was an objectively bad movie and anyone who disagrees with them is a sycophant with the "proof" boiling down to "I hated it"), they're citing that darn RT score (which is inherently inaccurate by the very nature of how review aggregation works).

TK327 and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.