main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will fan backlash affect development of IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Wow. That is bad. Really bad.

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000

Oops. I meant to type $537,000,000. [face_blush]

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I think JJ’s writing partner (forget his name) will take the lead on the initial drafts. JJ is great at building on already established terra firma.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    I think E8 has to make at least 800 million to break even. So there's still a chance a fan backlash, if real, can hurt the film's profit. But any backlash will need to come hard and fast.

5. rebelknight1

rebelknight1 Jedi Padawan

Dec 15, 2017
    I hope so, TLJ was a disgrace of of a Star Wars film. It made a mockery of the legacy of Star Wars.

6. civilsecret

civilsecret Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    i hope they dont

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Star Wars is an anomaly. Despite the prequels being met with heavy criticism, they still “made bank.”

There was a pent up demand for more films, and so TPM did very well despite bad reviews.

And that’s really something that’s phenomenal about Star Wars. If a coworker asked me what I thought of Valerian and so said it sucked, it could realistically deter them from seeing it. A lot of movies are like that, bad word of mouth will affect peoples’ decisions.

But if I told someone TLJ sucked, they’ll probably be in line later that day to see it still.

No matter how bad TPM was, people still lined up to see it. And then AOTC which I recall people on the radio calling “the best since ESB “ at the time of its release, but ultimately isn’t remembered fondly. Both of these films did fine in their cinema scores per IGN. Actually every Star Wars film not including the originals (that was before CinemaScore exit polling) did really well. Yet there’s still this collective consciousness in pop culture that the prequels sucked, but no matter how many childhoods were allegedly defiled by TPM, people still come back to each subsequent movie, sometimes ever multiple times. The loudest critics often have their tickets first.

That’s not to argue that the prequels were good or that these people secretly love them, but Star Wars does have a phenomenal ability to pull people in.

Compare to DC’s films which are experiencing a drop off after several critically panned films (though the films often have high CinemaScore and RT audience ratings).

Jurassic Park was phenomenal, which ensured people came for The Lost World, making it profitable, despite a mediocre critic reception. JP3 subsequently tanked. Love of Ghostbusters couldn’t save the new film. Critics loved Abrams’ Trek films, but it didn’t translate to ticket sales. Critics and fans alike could slam TPM and Star Wars can still “make bank.”

Really, Luke could have ignored Rey the whole film, not saying a word and just milked that alien, and Rian could have had a Canto Bight cameo dropping his pants and mooning the audience and it would still break half a billion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    So it's probably in the red right now... Didn't it take around 800 million to make?

dyous87 likes this.
  9. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    I hope they don't pay attention to the people that disliked the movie. Because if they do then the movie will be predictable and that's exactly what I don't want.

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes. Fan backlash will totally effect Ep. 9. Luke will use the Force to come back to life. He'll admit that he wasn't on Ach-To waiting to die. Rather he wanted people to think that to throw his enemies off. Also that wasn't Luke that stood over young Ben's bed with a lightsaber. It was evil clone Luuke Skywalker. The grumpy Luke we see in the first half of the movie telling Rey to bugger off is evil clone Luuke. Real Luke only appears at the end meditating. Real Luke couldn't leave Ach-To because he was too busy fighting evil clone Luuke. That's part of why Real Luke was so exhausted at the end of the movie. He fought evil clone Luuke off screen and then did the Force projection thing all in the same day!

Also Luke is Rey's dad. Evil clone Luuke didn't mention it because he's an evil clone. Ben lied to Rey to get her to turn to the dark side. Rey said her parents were nobody because she knew that Ben would kill her on the spot if she told Ben that Luke was her dad.

Holdo DID tell Poe her plan but Poe's hearing got damaged when BB-8 turned on that afterburner during the opening sequence so he didn't hear what Holdo said to him but he was afraid that if he admitted that he couldn't hear her then she would ground him. So when she told him the plan he just smiled and nodded like he knew what she was saying.

Lastly Canto Bight wasn't pointless. Finn and Rose were there on a secret mission to find Ben Solo's long lost younger brother, Broom Boy.

Is everybody happy now? You all bum me out!

jaqen, oncafar and Satipo like this.
  11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I doubt Disney will let "alt-right" trolls and spam bots dictate the future of Star Wars.

12. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Hell, no. Don't let fans dictate anything about Star Wars! You'll end up with EU dross like Chewie getting crushed by a moon!

If a section of fans is that upset we didn't get god emperor Luke that they don't bother watching SW again so be it. There will be plenty more noobs to take their place.

God Emporer Luke by the way, is just about the dullest possible Luke Skywalker they could put to film. It would have no arc whatsoever. Whereas Luke in TLJ was totally consistent with ROTJ Luke. Winning by not fighting and finding other ways. Luke was going to die in this trilogy at some point, having him go out on his own terms was great writing. The fanboy version of him being all powerful, flawless and wiping people off the battlefield would actually be pretty uninspiring and overshadow everyone else in the film.

civilsecret, jaqen and oncafar like this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I doubt that all this is caused by alt-right. This movie gets rated by fans all over the world. I think the small group that trolls against particular parts of the movie do not influence people of actually liking the movie or not.

14. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    As opposed to Leia Poppins in space?

15. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I agree 100%

Darkspellmaster and Satipo like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    No. Without seeing TLJ, my main concern is making the new characters engaging. What boggles my mind is that there are some excellent young performers cast and their characters do not make me or want to know about them. I will have more to say on this Monday evening, but given my Meh feelings for TFA at this point I do not care about these characters. As I revisit RO that is one thing the filmmakers pretty much nailed.

17. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    Yes, the fan backlash will effect Ep9 big time, even more so if the final box office returns fall short of their target. This happened after ESB, which is why Lucas went back to the roots that made ANH so successful (another factor was the company of Lucasfilm was in jeopardy at the time due to his divorce) and essentially ghost directed RotJ as a sort of remake of the original film. AotC and RotS were also changed due to the feedback from the fans. For example, Jar Jar's significant role in the whole PT was cut due to the backlash, and the original Maul-like apprentice in Ep2 was changed to Count Dooku, who was more like Obi Wan/Tarkin and had a more permanent role in the story. The whole Anakin as Palpatine's bodyguard subplot in Ep3 was changed to a more personal dilemma involving Padme dying in childbirth. This was more of a reaction to Spielberg and other directors reaction to the script than the fans, but it does prove that Star Wars stories are changed based on feedback.

I'm not quite sure how you can rectify the massive outcry over TLJ in Ep9 other than to basically start from scratch and tell a stand alone story that takes place many years later to wrap up the Kylo Ren and Rey story threads and answer everything that's been ignored. I'd give Force Ghost Luke a significant role, explain Snoke, the Knights of Ren, and give Rey's parentage a more satisfying explanation (i.e. Kylo misinterpreted what he saw, and her mom was Palpatine's daughter or something).

18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I would not be so sure about this. I mean, two years is a lot of time. If Han Solo is good a lot of people who complain now might say: "Well JJ's TFA was not so bad at all, so lets give it a try and see if JJ is able to rescue it"
    Let's see

19. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Yes and no. I would say that larger over all things should be listened to. For example, Rey's view point shift so dramatically done. Luke's story and how it could have been made better and stronger. Finn and Rose's journey having some pay off. You need the fan feed back, it helps shape your story more and create a better flow. But...and I stress this, but minutia should be avoided.

For example, there are times where Fan feedback needs to be listened to. Critical things such as characters being in character or keeping true to the vision of the story are good things. Bad things are like changing your whole ending to suit the need of the fans to have a bad boy hook up with the good girl, even though for most of your story you had the main love interest be the decent character. It's an in the moment thing that could really effect the story.

Luke returning would be a good thing for fans, clear up things, and give Mark a proper situation for Luke. On the other hand, let's not have Fans decide exactly who should be with whom, that should be based on what the characters seem to want in regards to how they interact in the writer's heads.

20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    But which fans do you listen to? The fans that love the film for all the reasons the haters hate it? They can only tell the story they believe in and want to tell. If they want to shift certain things tonally, I could see that as JJ has a slightly different tone than RJ does, but that would come from JJ's different taste, not corporate diktat. For all the talk of safe/ conservative Disney, they were happy to swing for the fences on TLJ, and they knew it would piss some off. They wanted to shake things up. They're not shocked that some fans vehemently hate teh film. They knew what they had and they were so pleased with Rian, they've given him a new trilogy. So basically this becomes a massive venting issue. People are perfectly entitled to hate the film, but there is a disconnect I think. One is the cognitive dissonance involved that makes every armchair critic thinks their preferences and ideas would be a) better and b) not equally as reviled by a chunk of the fan base. And secondly, there is the idea that everyone hates the film and thinks it's bad. The film is a critical hit, a box office hit, and has many many fans who rate it up there with the best in the saga. So are only the haters correct? Or is it perhaps more than case that with strong story choices made, some (perfectly legitimately) despise the route taken while others (perfectly legitimately) love the route taken, and every colour of reaction in between. Name a SW film that wasn't hated by a vocal chunk of the fanbase since ANH at one point.

civilsecret and oncafar like this.
  21. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Episode 9 will deff be a test, especially for the box office now that the franchise doesn't really have a lead star. I agree that the young actors are talented and great people. I just wish I could care more about their characters, as do a lot of others. Going into this ST, you obviously weren't getting anywhere near the caliber of chemistry and character development you got from the OT, but heading into the end of this ST, are these going to be our leads going forward? Or will they be done to? I know RJ's trilogy will probably have all new characters. But if there was another trilogy following this one, I really don't know if I can deal with these characters going nowhere for me all over again. Maybe it's too soon and will have to see how 9 plays out to see if Abrams can give them proper development they didn't get in this one. I also think the no time jump between 7-8 helped the cause for development in characters as well.

22. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it could affect Luke's role in IX. The Luke controversy has really blown up especially with Mark saying "he's not my Luke Skywalker" .

dyous87 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    They won't care. Lots of people love Luke in the film as well. And the Luke some people hate is gone now. Any Luke moving forward will be close to Crait Luke I think. All they'll be concentrating on is what is best for the story. And they can't listen to the fans, because which fans do you listen to?

civilsecret and Birkendoc like this.
  24. Zillobeast

Zillobeast Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 6, 2016

I love Mark and while I liked Luke's role in the movie (though he needs more screen time), I do feel bad for him. But quoting Jar Jar Abrams should be a cardinal sin. That guy is motivated by nothing but hate against the ST. Its like if you took a Sith and turned him into an overweight basement-dweller.

25. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask if Mark hated this characterization so much, why did he go ahead and play it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.