main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will future generations accept Sir Alec?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Sporonak, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Sporonak

Darth-Sporonak Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2004
    I was wondering whether future generations of children may be confused when watching all the films in chronological order.

When Sir Alec Guiness is introduced as Obi-Wan, will some younger viewers think 'Hey that's not Obi-wan. It doesn't look or sound anything like him' and watch the remainder of the film believing Guiness is some kind of imposter villain out to trick Luke?

Does anyone else think this?

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    No. I think they'll grasp that Obi-Wan aged significantly and had to be played by someone else.
    That's even if they notice anything's amiss within the story. So nope.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Nah. But they might notice he was a better actor.

4. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i think that Sir Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor have many similar characteristics, and I think that Ewan really does look like a younger Sir Alec Guinness. Ewan also does a very good job of portraying Obi-Wan the same way as Sir Alec did. I think there will be a pretty smooth transition between the prequel Obi-Wan and the CT Obi-Wan

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I think Ewan has done a fine enough job mimicing Alec that they won't have trouble accepting the two as one and the same.

They'd also be used to seeing characters age and change (Anakin goes from boy to man... Ewan grows a beard and a mullet), so they're able to accept that these films take place far apart sometimes.

Also, REALLY young viewers may not understand that these are just movies, and the idea of "actors" doesn't enter their heads.

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I think that the general populace will not even notice that there is a difference between the Kenobi's. I have trouble telling them apart at times. . .

7. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    They had better accept Sir Alec or I'll ground them for months!!

**very strict future father here**

8. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, since I will be introducing my children to the OT well before I introduce them to the PT, that shouldn't be a problem... :)

I figured if that is the way "I" was introduced to Star Wars, well then it is good enough for my own 2 jawas... :)

Indy

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Why shouldn't they? Did anyone watch AOTC, see Haydn and say "That's not Anakin!"?

10. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    There's nothing in the OT that won't be accepted by future generations. They'll accept the FX from 77, 80 and 83. They'll accept ESB Palpatine. They'll accept Sebastian Shaw.

11. RiFRaF

RiFRaF Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2001
    Yes, because in the year 2006, Congress will impose an act to burn all copies of the prequels since it was found out that they were made by the Clone of George Lucas, because the REAL George Lucas was found locked up in the basement for years and would have made the real prequel without JarJar, Dooku, Hayden, and the horrible special effects....

12. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    ^^^ Someone, anyone, explain to me what the above post had to do with anything.

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. RiFRaF

RiFRaF Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2001
    It means that the prequels are crap and should not have been made. In the future, the original trilogy will be the only set of movies they will be talking about. So the kids won't ask who Alec Guiness is. nuff said..

just to clear one thing up though, Ewan is about one of the only things George got right in the casting area. He definetly portrays Obi Wan in the Alec Guiness way..

14. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    being someone who will show his future kids the saga in chronological order, I dont see how its going to be a problem for them to accept Guinness as the older Obi-Wan.

The difference here is that kids dont worry about that kind of thing, they are very much an open minded accepting type of audience. They may ask questions about the story and stuff, but I doubt they'll care.

As long as there are lightsaber fights, big battles, cool heroes, scary villains and an essence of fun, that is Star Wars....the kids wont pay any attention to the different actors or the fact that the characters have aged.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Not when I show them to them in release order, they won't.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Rif, your opinion of the films has nothing to do with other people's movie-watching choices.

solo - clarify. The question is Will future generations accept Sir Alec? and you say they WON'T... EVEN IF you show them in release order? That would mean they see Alec first, with no previous frame of reference.
    I think we have a communications breakdown.

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    I'm sure Lucas will CGI Ewan's face over Alec's face. Even thought it won't look good, this need to be done so that no one is confused.

Like remember when vader says "Bring my shuttle" in bespin after the duel w/ Luke. Well, see, a lot of people didn't understand how vader got to the star destroyer in time to intercept the falcon shortly after. This caused so much confusion to the audience that people were confused for years... thankfully lucas helped explain how vader made it to the star destroyer in time in the special editions. See it was better to explain this than retain the flawless pacing and music of the pre-SE ESB.

The point is, Lucas should replace Alec's face with Ewan's so that no one is confused. Sure, Alec's acting was great, but that's not that important really.

18. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Nobody should be cgi'd out of anything! And I'm pretty sure nobody would have a major problem with Sir Alec as the older Obi-Wan.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As I advocate the release order for viewing of the films, this also won't be a problem for any childen I have down the road [face_batting]

Alomanuma- LOL!

20. GrandMoffZaarin

GrandMoffZaarin Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2004
    Sure, Alec's acting was great, but that's not that important really.

That had better have been in jest. [face_plain]

21. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Read his post again. He's trying to have a little fun at Lucas' expense. It's a joke, but not one I find funny.

Rick McCallum loves you!

22. OBIWANARNO

OBIWANARNO Jedi Master star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    "But they might notice he was a better actor".

Not based on his Star Wars performance. Don't take me wrong. Guinnes is brilliant but to me Ewan is the ultimate Obi Wan Kenobi. I love them both. And of course they will accept Guinnes. He is the original Obi Wan. If we have accepted McGregor (which I believe most of us fans have done) then younger generation will certainly accept Mr. Guinnes.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Adam... clearly I thought it was opposite day. You know what I meant ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    They're two actors who are clearly portraying the same character. And Ewan's transformation into "Old Ben" has been dramatic enough that the appearance of Alec Guiness will be perfectly natural. Especially after seeing the Episode III pics of Ewan where he basically looks like a young Alec Guiness.

So, no, I think anybody who watches the films in the proper order (you now, starting with Chapter 1 then moving chronologically to Chapter 6) will have little or no problem accepting a "new" Obi-Wan after watching the same actor for three films.

25. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Personally, they're BOTH Obi-Wan, and I can't see anyone accepting otherwise.

I mean, d'uh, Obi-Wan has aged. That's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.