main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Harry Potter be Recast ?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by comet1440, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    there are unconfirmed reports that the next harry potter movie will be last one for the actor who plays him ( forgot his name ) . they say he is aging to fast and will out grow of the character . do you think this should happen and if so who should be next to play potter ?

2. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    And HOW many times, exactly, have we seen 17-30 year olds playing 15-16 on TV and in movies? I seem to recall Natalie Portman at 17 playing a 14-year-old in some sci-fi movie. She played a queen, as I recall... ;)

The only way Daniel, Rupert and/or Emma will leave the series prematurely is if they want to leave -- and I don't see that happening. By the time they're done collecting their paychecks for Movie #7, they're never gonna have to work another day in their lives (but they will, Daniel and Emma anyway).

3. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I don't think they will recast anyone. For one, it would be lame and jarring...to have the same actors through five movies (I'm sure they'll do Order of the Phoenix, too)...and then have completely different actors for the final two installments. Second, by the time of the events in the last two books, they'll be seventeen & eighteen (or is it sixteen & seventeen? Whatever). They'll easily be able to portray people that age...even if they're in their early twenties. Actors do it all the time. Hell, Leonardo DiCaprio portrayed someone who was supposed to be seventeen in Catch Me If You Can...and he was almost thirty years-old at the time. These actors are in it for the long-haul...unless they choose not too, of course (which I'm sure they won't choose not to...that'd be a pretty idiotic move).

Most of it depends on Rowling getting the last two books finished. Does anyone know when Book Six is slated for release? :confused:

4. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    I must say that I really am wholly confounded by all these folks who keep (erroneously) claiming that Daniel, Emma, Rupert et al are somehow "growing out of" their HP roles, or otherwise somehow aging so visibly fast as to make it jarring or negatively noticeable. I truly have *no* idea where people reach such conclusions, especially since they don't much seem to be supported by the facts of the situation. Honestly, I think it's a whole lot of furore and fretting for nothing! :) Consider this....that in the time of POA, Harry is in the 13-14 age bracket....and Daniel Radcliffe is really pretty much at exactly the same point now. He most assuredly was when it was being filmed, that's a certainty! Indeed, he's only turning 15 next month....that *hardly* somehow puts him "out of age range" for the role, nor should it ever leave the distinct impression that he's somehow aging too fast to keep his HP role believable. Really, where *do* some folks get their ideas.... ;)

Fact of the matter is, though, that he is certainly *not* aging past his HP role....he is precisely in the proper age bracket, right where he should be, and everything is fine. The same holds true for Rupert and Emma - they *are*, in actual fact, really right where they should be....right where they are in the books, for example....and so I hardly see what all this fretting and anxiousness is about - these fears of "outgrowing" the roles....there is really no evidence for that, from everything that I have seen. *gently shrugs, smiling* And when all is said and done, should they both choose and, ultimately, be able as well to film all seven books....then, well, who knows....even if Dan, Rupert, and Emma - along with all the other kids - as actors, are older than their characters....I see no reason to fear or assume that it will ever be exorbitantly so. It will all work, I feel....so right now I just wish everyone would stop worrying so. :)

Although I *will* freely admit that when some of my friends were claiming that Dan et al were "outgrowing" their roles, and going on and on about it....man alive, how I ever kept a civil tongue in my head *then*, instead of laying into my friends for their presumptiveness and rushing-to-judgement, I may never know. Nearly inhuman self-control, much? ;)

Dawn.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    As it stands right now, Harry is 14 (in GoF) and the Daniel Radcliffe is 14. How is he aging past the role?

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Maybe he lives in some sort of time warp?

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    All reports Ive read say that they fully intend to keep the main cast intact. To recast at this point would be foolish as well as fairly risky. Who knows how fans would react to a whole new cast brought in after three films (especially younger fans who may have grown attached to them) ?

8. Hallo_Spaceboy

Hallo_Spaceboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    the current kids have their contracts for the first four movies. The adults though have signed on for all seven movies. It would really be strange to have the kids replaced but not the teachers. But I understand these movies are hard to make and take time and if they want to stop it's their choice after all. But it would be a bad move for Warner Brother to change the main cast and expect people to feel for them.

9. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    If they can keep them coming out once every 12-18 months there shouldn't be a problem. They are already filming the 4th movie and it'll probably be out next summer.

10. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    Hopfully he'll be cast into a live volcano in the next movie.

11. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    If they can keep them coming out once every 12-18 months there shouldn't be a problem. They are already filming the 4th movie and it'll probably be out next summer.

It actually has a tentative release date of November 18, 2005.

Kimball Kinnison

12. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    i didn't really have a problom with the ageing. I kinda liked it. It just depends on how far apart the movies are. if it becomase 2- 2.5 years between movies than it may be a problom.

But we arn't sure if they will even make the next movies. I would hope so. harry 3 didn't do neary as well as predicted so if the next movie is once again on the down fall maybe we will only see 4 or 5 movies.

13. PuccaKenobi

PuccaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    didnt Harry 3 break some records? I thought it did very well...

14. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Sep 27, 2002
    it did well but compared to the other 2 it didn't even come close.

15. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    It actually has a tentative release date of November 18, 2005.

That's 12-18 months from now :p

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    But that's not "probably next summer" :p

Kimball Kinnison

17. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    But it was within the time frame I gave, so my point still stands :D

18. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Sep 27, 2002
    i didn't have any complaints with the 3rd. the third was my favorite style wish. It was cool to see a good movie, style wise.

19. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I havent seen any of the HP films, nor have I read the books. I have absolutely zero interest in either one.

20. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I havent seen any of the HP films, nor have I read the books. I have absolutely zero interest in either one.

So? Don't reply, then.

21. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Sep 27, 2002
    gosh that guy really went out off is way to make a point.

Anyway, the new dumbledoor worked for me.

22. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000

So? Don't reply, then.

What do you care if I reply or not ? Last time I checked I was entitled to my opinion.

You dont like it, dont read my posts.

23. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    But adding your voice to a topic that you have no intrest in is not only pointless, it cries of a pathetic attempt at attention.

And exactly is 158 million dollars not successful? In 2 weeks. Give it a month then lets see base it's comparibility to the other movies.

24. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    'Pathetic attempt at attention' ? How do you figure ? Seems like youre giving me more attention just by talking about it.

Anyway, no need to get your panties in a bunch. Im leaving and wont be back.

25. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Even if push came to shove, I highly doubt they'd recast any of the main kids. There's nothing to gain from doing so, and nothing to lose if they're kept on. They're far younger than some other actors/actresses that often portray people their age. And from all I've heard, the kids themselves are interested in continuing past Goblet, so this is one notion I don't see becoming an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.