main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Hayden get buff for Episode III?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darthkarma, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Is there a personal trainer in Hayden's future?

I've wondered if Hayden will be asked to get more buff for Episode III. In EMPIRE Hamill had to be much more physical and show off his body more than in A New Hope. And in ROTJ, Lucas made Carrie get slim and trim and show herself off in a very revealing slave girl outfit that we remember so well.

This is just speculation, but it's interesting to ponder.

2. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I don't think it is an issue if your body is completely destroyed by a lightsaber duel...

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Body builder buff? Hope not.
    Toned? Probably. I'd imagine Jedi get their shape by rigorous training and excersize as opposed to weight lifting which is how you get bulk. Look at Mace and Maul. Mace is a Jedi master and he's not benching cars, but he's certainly toned and in shape. Same with Maul. Hard as a rock, but not bulky. No need to have Hayden bulk up. But he should have muscle tone (biceps, 6 packs ect, just not Ahnohld).

4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Buff? I actually have no idea how to answer that. I suppose that could happen. We all know Padme will be a bit bigger. lol

5. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Well, I think it would certainly help the transition from Anakin to Darth Vader some if Anakin were to be shown to have gained some bulk between Episodes II and III. Yes, a lot can be explained away by saying "It's all bionics and armor" but visually there does need to be some corrolation. Going from a wiry kid to a big, bulky supervillain is a bit of a visual stretch, no matter how much slack the fanboys are willing to cut.

6. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Hamill had to go through a lot of conditioning also to recover from a car accident.

7. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

You can tell by the design of his costume in Episode II that they are trying to make Hayden look bigger than he is, with exaggerated shoulders and so forth.

8. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    Hayden's already in good shape. He played hockey and other sports in high school, so he's already atheletic. I think a perfect Jedi body would be like an Olympic swimmer, or gymnast, able to bounce around and move quickly.

9. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Right, but he also has to look like the kind of guy who could fill out Vader's armor.

"He was given bionic everything but his head" is too much of a cop-out. Something of Vader's bulk has to carry over from whatever Anakin looks like in Episode III. There's no reason he couldn't hit the Jedi Gym in the couple years between Episode II and Episode III. Hayden bulked up would look just fine as the basis for the man in the armor. And... if he's already beginning to show signs of turning in AOTC, it would make perfect sense that he would begin focusing more on the superficial things such as making his body bigger and stronger to go along with the coarser type of Force energy he's beginning to favor.

There's certainly a character justification for bulking the kid up.

10. echupa

echupa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2000
    once padme and anakin are married, im sure we will see her get a bit 'bigger'
    :)

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well it's not like Vader was Schwarzenegger. He was just tall. I wouldn't expect any of the Jedi to be particularly ripped, since they use the Force to aid them in most of their strenuous activity.

12. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

The Jedi Gym! I love it. That's a concept I never even thought of!

13. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Not saying that Anakin needs to be Ah-nuld... merely that he ought to pack on a little bulk between Episodes II and III to make the transition to Vader more believable. Vader was tall, yes, but he also had some bulk to him that Hayden doesn't show even with the padded-out costume, but which Hayden certainly COULD begin to show with a little working out. Hell, the kid lost what, 25 pounds or so for his role in Life Is A House? He could certainly broaden that chest up a bit and fill out his frame a little for Episode III so that he begins to move towards that Vader-ish look. Again, not steroid-like bulk... just something to prevent us having to pretend that a wiry post-adolescent suddenly becomes this towering tree of a villain.

And yes, Jedi wouldn't necessarily work on their bodies like that... but if we're already seeing signs in AOTC that Anakin is starting to show signs of going dark, then there's every reason to believe that he might tend to focus more on the superficial things LIKE his body in the years between AOTC and Episode III since we all know where he's gonna end up.

14. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I agree with everything Patrick said.

Also, Hayden already towers over Ewan. If he got a bit larger and more muscular it would visually back up the idea in the story line that he's becoming more powerful than Obi Wan would have guessed.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I never really saw Vader as all that bulky?
    It's the armor, mechanics, and layers of robes and his cape that give him the effect. Robes and capes have a funny way of making someone look bigger (seriously).
    If you put Hayden in the Vader outfit, I doubt you'd know it was him. No worries.
    And a no to the superficial thing. Palpatine never benched pressed banthas. Even Maul who was pure warrior wasn't huge. When they talk about superficial power they mean like physical power. By physical I mean tangible and not body. Power such as control. Whereas a Jedi is more interested in the power of the mind and spirit that many religeons believe is where true power lays.
    Sith believe iun power over others while Jedi believe power over self if you will.
    Evidence to back this up is that Jedi are highly disciplined and trained and above most else are told to control themselves. Whereas all Sth we have seen seem bent on conquering and controlling others and ruling galaxies n such.
    Yes, a Jedi would have to be strong with muscle tone, but he'd also have to be agile. A big muscular beef cake isn't too entirely mobile.
    So while Hayden should certainly be toned (and given his athletic background, that shouldn't be hard), buff isn't quite a Jedi thing I'd think.
    Maybe it was your use of the word buff as opposed to toned that threw me off. Buff brings about the connotation of a big lumpy man (not neccessarily steroided up though) whereas toned brings me the connotation of a swimmer's build (the particular build I'm going for).

16. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Yes, I should have clarified that, I think people perceive the definition of "buff" in different ways. I didn't really mean for him to add 75 pounds or anything like that.
    But Hayden would certainly have to get bigger and more defined than his build in LIFE AS A HOUSE, where he was supposed to be a frail non-jock. I guess I mean adding some muscle, maybe 10 to 20 pounds and adding a lot of definition...and tone.
    Remember the camera itself generally adds ten pounds to a person's look, so if he gained 15 pounds, it would look like he added 25.

BTW, I'm sure everyone's noticed how Anakin's cape in AOTC pictures increases his resemblance to Vader. I'm sure this is a conscious effort on the part of George and the wardrobe department.

17. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Again, I'm not saying that Anakin would suddenly become a mountain of muscle either. But Vader does have a noticeably hefty frame filling all that armor out, and it's not all just bionics. He certainly doesn't look like a wiry man with a ton of armor on, which is what Anakin would be right now if he went into the mask and armor looking as he does in TPM.

As for applying standard Jedi values to somebody heading for the Dark Side, I think that's a little simplistic. No, Maul wasn't a large being... but it also seemed pretty clear that wherever he came from, he appeared to be predisposed to violence on a level which Anakin is not. Anakin ends up turning to the Dark Side almost as a form of mental illness from what I can gather. He's a good fellow who begins to frantically try to keep his world from falling apart, and when it does he snaps.

That's what I think we're likely to see with Anakin... we even get a sense of this in the trailer. Anakin's solution to whatever his problem is is to swear to become "the most powerful Jedi ever." Power is a word which he uses a lot later on as Vader. He's already apparently beginning to fixate on it in AOTC, and it wouldn't therefore be out of character for him to try to make his body itself more powerful even as he starts to tap into the more power-oriented Force abilities.

It would also give us a bit of a shock when we first see him in Episode III if he's suddenly bigger than he was in AOTC. (Again, not cut like a weightlifter... just noticeably filled-out.) It sounds like Lucas plans to have his fall be something of a process rather than a sudden decision, so I assume that we may see him partway there at the outset of Episode III. To have something visibly different about him such as his having filled out some in addition to whatever his attitude might be like would certainly set the tone for us right off the bat.

18. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Oh oh oh ok.
    Well then except for a few insignificant points, I agree with you :)
    Yeah, I'm sure Hayden has a personal trainer and they'll be working on that. Since he's an obvious heart throb he'll have many a role that requires the removal of shirts and the ladies have to like what they see.
    Ewan's in good form.
    It's what? Three years between AotC and Ep III? That'd make Anakin. . . 21? He'd still probably wouldn't be fully developed yet, but he could be more defined.
    Hey interesting. Anakin turns when he's 21, the legal American age for a man (I use American since Lucas is American so that might be the standard he goes with). What I'm getting at is instead of becoming a proud man he succumbs to darkness. . .
    Eh, there could probably be more to think about with all that but I'll let someone else chew on it :)

19. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Well, Wascally Droid, I tried to take the bait, and I've been chewing on it, but I haven't come up with anything. Except for the right to drink booze, I don't associate the age of 21 as anything special. I understand what you're getting at...but I think in a lot of countries, 21 is not that significant of an age. I do think that 21 is a good age to show someone making bad choices and going down the wrong road. People at age 21 do lots of stupid things.

20. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Eh, it was a fly by thought anyway.
    I'll laeve the deep threads to Darth Sin (very big in the PSA, very creative theories).

21. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Great signature Wascally Droid!

22. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

He definitely doesn't look that big in the Vanity Fair pictures.

23. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I predict he'll add 15 pounds
    for Episode III.

Furthermore, I think he would have been heavier for Episode II except that there was so little time between when he was cast and when they started shooting that there was not time for him to get bigger. As a result, he has to wear those clothes which are clearly designed to make him look bigger, especially in the shoulder area.

24. Isiah

Isiah Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2002
    "I never really saw Vader as all that bulky?"

Lets not forget here dudes, Dave Prowse was huge. He was 6'7"(and more like 7' with the coustume on) and he probably weighed around 250. He could bench 500lbs at his prime. Now I'm not saying that Hayden need to be anywhere near this, but who ever fits the coustume for EP III better be close, and it might help if Hayden hits the gym a little to make it a little more believable, robotics or not.

25. REBEL_SKUM

REBEL_SKUM Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2000
    didn't they already film a scene for episode III in tunisia? meaning that if Hayden were to go from being toned then back to the way he is now when he's on tatooine, then back to toned, it would seem a little odd. They could have worked around that, but it would have taken a lot of foresight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.