main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Hayden get buff for Episode III?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darthkarma, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I don't believe Hayden is seen in the material they filmed for Episode III in Tunisia. I could be wrong.

2. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I personally don't think the question is "if" he will bulk up, but "how much"? He has to add mass, in my opinion, if he is to step into Vader's famous suit. Because there's no way I can imagine Hayden going into Episode III looking the exact same way as he does now. It simply won't cut it, and I believe Lucas knows that.

He doesn't have to do much. Even doing push-ups "military style" for 3 months will do wonders for his torso I bet. Look at boot camp soldiers. If he opts for a personal trainer, than more power to him.

3. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

"more power to him." EXCELLENT PHRASE John Williams! It seems power is what Anakin thirsts for. It was pointed out to me how often Vader uses the word "power" in the OT, and Anakin is fascinated with it as well.
    "One day I will be the most powerful Jedi ever!"

It's only natural he would want physical power as well. And that means size.

And you're exactly right...the size he is now just won't work for EPISODE III.

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Wish I could remember what my sig was at that point in time :/
    :p
    But thank you ^_^

5. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Three years ago there was a thread here full of people argueing about the height of the guy who'll play Anakin in the next two. Everyone was saying that "he'd better be 6'7" or else it's a total cop-out on George's part." I disagreed completely then, and I do now.

Vader's body IS NOT Anakin's body, we have ALWAYS known this. Why does Anakin, all uf a sudden, have to fit perfectly into Vader's suit? He could be built like Danny Devito and it still wouldn't be a cop-out. I personally think that Anakin being seven inches taller and 50 pounds of muscle heavier than his son, would be harder to swallow, than him being smaller than his future ROBO-body.

I'd also like to add that there are NO toned jedi. Samuel L Jackson is not toned, Ewan is not toned Liam Neeson is not, Luke never was. They all have average/healthy builds.

6. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I think Luke was fairly toned in ESB.

7. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    You know, Vader didnt look 6'7'' in the OT to me. He looked more like 6'4''. Is that just me? Prowse is 6'7 eh?

8. Isiah

Isiah Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2002
    QuiGonJinn: Luke was ripped in ESB. He had a great body, like a sprinter.

9. QuiGonJinn

Aug 1, 1998
    I forgot...he did have muscular arms. I don't know if I'd say he was "ripped" but he did look alot more athletic than he did in ANH.

If Hayden got toned like Luke in ESB, I'd be fine with it (he might already be that toned in AotC). But if he looked like Brad Pitt from the neck down or bulked up significantly I'd think it was unnecessary and out of place in a SW film.

PruneF8ce, don't take my word for it that he's 6'7" I got that from Isiah. Although he's probably right.

10. QuiGonJinn

Aug 1, 1998
    I forgot...he did have muscular arms. I don't know if I'd say he was "ripped" but he did look alot more athletic than he did in ANH.

If Hayden got toned like Luke in ESB, I'd be fine with it (he might already be that toned in AotC). But if he looked like Brad Pitt from the neck down or bulked up significantly I'd think it was unnecessary and out of place in a SW film.

PruneF8ce, don't take my word for it that he's 6'7" I got that from Isiah. Although he's probably right.

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'd prefer for Hayden to gain weight and bulk up because from the looks of AOTC he has a LONG way to go to even closely resemble Sebastian Shaw who was big-boned.

He should definitely gain weight. 40lbs about.

12. spacemonkey

spacemonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2000
    I'm not sure bulk would matter much anyway since they wear such baggy clothes, but I'm more interested in how he will look.\

Will he follow the pattern of Obiwan and grow facial hair and let his hair grow long.

13. BigBroadcastah

BigBroadcastah Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Does anybody remember if Anakin was tall at the end of return of the jedi when he was a ghost? from what i remember he wasnt big enough for me to notice, i think all of the bulk you see on him as Vader just comes from the suit.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    He was definitely taller and bulkier than Obi-Wan next to him.

15. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    But I don't think he looked muscled, just kinda chubby.

-JWAC

16. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

They could always pad the suit.

I can hear Hayden now... "Pad me?"

LOL

17. hapless-sith

hapless-sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Let me get this straight...the argument here it that Anakin, in order to look like Vader, must add a major amount of muscle in the two years between AOTC and Ep III. Right?

So the assumption here is that Anakin gaining all this muscle in two years (while under the supervision of the jedi) is more believable than him gaining the size in the ensuing TWENTY years until ANH under the supervision of Palpatine.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in understanding the logic here.

All joking aside...I understand that it may help to have Hayden a little bigger to bridge the gap, but he doesn't need to be AS large in Ep III. The twenty years that pass between the movie is plenty of time for him to bulk up and to be honest, it would make the Vader entrance scene in ANH that much more imposing when viewers see him for the "first" time in the OT.

18. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I think you're probably right hapless_sith.
    The proper transition from episode to episode should be the priority, not some dramatic gain in size.

19. Newbalicious

Newbalicious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Man, this sure is one silly topic. To me though Vader doesn't look buff, he's just big, there's a difference. Besides, who says that Hayden Christensen himself actually has to wear the suit? What he brings is his face (and expressions), voice, and movements. Well face and voice will not be his for sure (mask, and James Earl Jones respectively) and as far as movements I don't think the OT suited Vader is quite as spry as Hayden shows he will be (as seen in the trailers). Bottom line, its not big deal.

20. 5darth2maul1

5darth2maul1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Hayden already is "buff." If I had his body, I would have girls all over me. 8-}

5D2M1

21. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Fair enough, Newbalicious, but one thing...it's my opinion Vader won't appear until the very end of Ep. III. So it is possible Anakin's build could be a factor through the third movie.

22. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    Maybe it's just me, but I've always seen Darth Vader as very strong and big. Not huge, but big. He does pick a guy up by the throat with one hand, and his fighting style was always about power and strength, shown especially in ESB. Vader locks sabers with luke and then tosses him on his ass with ease. He also uses a style where he basically overpowers Luke and drives him back with strong, powerful swings. I don't know how much of this might be aided by the force, but I couldn't imagine Darth Vader as anything but big and strong.

BTW, Darth Maul is in fact pretty short.

23. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Anyone have any new thoughts on this topic,
    now that AOTC has been released?

24. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Here's the latest on the subject of size from Hayden himself.

MN: And you say George hasn?t told you anything ?have you told him anything that you would like to do what you?d expect for the character?

HC: Not really - it?s his moulding of it really and how he sees fit, but I have sort of nagged him a little bit about getting to wear the dark helmet and Darth Vader's costume, and he sort of gives me the wink, wink, nudge, nudge that I will ? so that would be really cool, but other than that they?re asking me to put on a little bit of weight or size ? I?m not going to go De Niro and get real fat but just so I can be wicked with a light sabre, so I think there are going to be some pretty extensive fight sequences in the next one especially between Obi Wan and myself and that?ll be fun.

MN: And are you practicing your moves in the mirror ? do you sort of pose with a light sabre and see how it goes?

HC: No I don?t do that, but I?m constantly playing with it and trying to find little different things to do with it. Ewan and I have made a pact to go out to Australia a couple of months before we start filming the next one and just get wicked with our light sabres, just so we can really have a go at each other ? and you know I get on really well with Ewan so I think we?ll have some really good fun doing that.

25. Malkuth_Toltec

Malkuth_Toltec Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Christensen's reference to De Niro makes me think that this "bulking up" will not occur as muscle gain, but as fat or "flab."

Remember Raging Bull?

A weight gain like this would be interesting as it would overtly show a lack of discipline. He is "letting himself go."

Although not fat, just a little puppy fat, he also says that he still needs to be "wicked with a lightsaber."

I would welcome this.

I wouldn't be so jealous. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.