main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just because it's an original story doesn't mean it will contradict the EU, it jsut means it won't be an adaptation of an existing EU story.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was just the storyline that would be original.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh dear God... and this is day ONE...

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Luke maybe in a cameo sort of role. Though really I'd prefer it to be in the far future. I wouldn't be opposed to ghost!Luke, maybe ghost!Yoda, and just because he's my favorite ghost!Obi-Wan.

I wouldn't mind this film being pretty separate, though... but I have to say, I kind of hope Artoo and Threepio are still in it. Screw "Star Wars is about the Skywalkers"; Star Wars is about two hapless droids who wander through all of history. It's Forest Gump in space.

5. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I can see that interpretation, but I think it is something more than that. To me, "original story" means something that will probably steamroll an existing EU work out of existence in this universe and make it purely alternative.

6. DarthDestiny

DarthDestiny Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    Hmm it'd be nice to see Luke, Leia, and Han again. But I really want to see Jacen and Jaina and maybe Ben. I honestly don't know. I'd like to see Mara Jade as well.

7. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    I agree that it would be nice to see Luke, Leia and Han together again.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You didn't watch the video, did you?

9. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    You haven't watched TCW, have you?

It's very clear that the EU, for the people at LucasFilm, is just a suggestion bin that they can pick from at will. LucasFilm got sold. It didn't fire everyone and replace them with people who think differently. Lucas may not have as much power anymore, but that does not convince me that the EU will be treated with any more respect than it has been at LucasFilm as of the last decade or so.

Watch what they do, not what they say.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I would say that's definitely their attitude, and I would say it's also the right one. Why should filmmakers, when the primary medium of this series is film, be beholden to things some comic and book writers did without their guidance?

DarthKreVass likes this.
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, it'll just give them some ideas for locations and characters and such I imagine.

12. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    The primary medium is film, correct. But to say the writers acted without guidance is a bit disingenuous. They have to stay within a certain framework. Getting a license to make a non-film entry into the EU comes with certain expectations.

As a business person, I know that the fans' likes and dislikes mean next to nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from being a fan. The EU is as much a part of the Star Wars universe to us fans as the movies are. To trample the EU for the "betterment" (I use that very loosely, because, quite frankly, TCW is hardly a stellar entry into the SW universe) of the on-screen entries is LFL saying, "This is the only thing that is actually 'Star Wars.' Nevermind that we hand out licenses for new works like candy and reap the profits from them."

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Captain Tarpals' son Ned Tarpals as the main character.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm all for new and fresh characters and parts of the GFFA we've yet to see.

Oh, and Qui-Gon Jinn.

15. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I would be somewhat placated if they went into the gap between the latest-occurring novels and Legacy. That gives you almost 100 years to work with. The Big Three are too old to really play much of a role and there's plenty of time for the galaxy to work itself into a shape that resembles the story at the start of Legacy-era stuff.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I have. Most of the errors have already been retconned away, only the Even Piell death sticks out, and they need to write a new timeline of events.

17. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I would like there to be at least a few main alien characters in episode 7.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  18. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I started Season 4 last night, so for you to say that most of the errors were retconned away means we either have widely divergent views of what "error" means or Season 4 did some serious, serious work.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Xizor. Black Sun.

20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Personally, I hope they throw the EU out the window completely, although I know that I'm in the minority among fans on this one. I've never had a problem accepting different levels of canon in different mediums, so as far as I'm concerned the EU can stay where it is and continue to be retconned as it always has been.

As for returning characters, the droids should be there for sure. Like it or not, they are the link between everything. If no other characters return then they should at least. That said, I'd love to have all the surviving characters return, though not necessarily in major roles. That means Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, yes even Jar Jar. But if I had to choose one of those then of course it would be Luke. I think his return will be important to the continuity of the saga, and just imagine the waves of excitement that will ripple throughout fandom if Hamill is announced in the cast.

Another thing I just thought of... Could it be possible that the decision to bring back Darth Maul was made in order to keep the Sith menace alive for the ST? Fans have been complaining for years that Maul was a wasted character and killed off too quickly. Will he finally get his due as a new Sith Master? Hmmm I haven't actually watched the TCW episodes that he is in yet, so I don't know what they're doing with his story now, but is there any chance that after the events of TCW he goes back into hiding and keeps the ways of the Sith alive, even after the death of Palpatine? After all, how many other ways could the Sith return, which kind of seems like a given for the final trilogy of the saga.

21. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    The big three should reprise their roles as follows.

Luke Skywalker as an aged and distinguished Jedi Master ala Master Yoda.

Leia as a leading Politician in the new government. Perhaps giving us some insight to the burgeoning new government.

Han as a smuggler-kingpin, perhaps a more benevolent Jabba-type. He could also work as a big-wig in the new govt.

Keep their roles on the small side... which gives the Saga much needed continuity, but allows for the new main characters to shine.

The Droids must remain as comedy-relief and side characters.

The rest should be original characters, thus allowing for the new storytellers to gain the most creative freedom.

TheGuardianofArlon likes this.
  22. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm fine with having Luke, Leia, Han and the droids roles being brought back. And I'm also fine with them being characters that are old. But I think they should be in the movies about as much as Yoda and Obi were in the OT. Younger characters should be the focal point, with Luke, Leia and Han in it enough to help the storyline along.

If this doesn't happen, then I want there to be entirely new characters.

And I think they should avoid EU characters for a couple of reasons. First, if they do use EU characters, then to what degree will they be faithful to the EU stories? If they aren't that faithful at all, then that might possibly upset a lot of the folks that have read them. Secondly, if they do use the EU characters and are somewhat faithful to the stories, then that kind of 'spoils' things a bit, doesn't it?

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I want to see Boba Fett, because if anyone could best the Sarlacc it would be him. Plus he was never used to his full potential and would get a chance to shine, especially if the proposed TV series never gets made.

I agree they should stay away from major EU storylines, they upset fans enough as it is by doing stuff that contradicts books. Frankly the movies operate on a different canon and if they say what happened in the books was wrong, then it's wrong and I'm happy to accept that.

I guss the droids can feature so long as the movie is not set too many years after ROTJ, even droids get old and will eventually be replaced by new models. HK-47 was great, but he wasn't around 4000 years on.

24. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Definitely R2. C3PO--whatever. Luke for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Oh yeah, I'd be all for the return of Boba Fett as well. Lucas even said in the audio commentary that Fett wasn't really dead and that he almost included a shot of him exiting the Sarlaac in the SE.