main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Financially and marketing wise, it would be stupid to not include Chewie cause of a book that probably only 1% of the general audience is aware of. Imagine all the stupid chewie toys, kid comics and other crap they can make based off what he does in the movie.

T-R-, severian28 and Boba's Jetpack like this.
  2. Boba's Jetpack

Boba's Jetpack Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2013
    How did he die in that book again?

3. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I think a moon crashed into him. Yeah try explaining THAT to audiences. "Yeah Chewie was crushed by a moon."

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. Boba's Jetpack

Feb 24, 2013
    And you think Chewie toys are stupid? That takes stupid to a whole new level. Is the person that wrote that, still in employment?

5. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    No I don't think Chewie toys are *all* stupid. I should have said the overwhelming amount of Chewie toys *like who knows we might get jetpack chewie for no reason whatso ever*

6. Boba's Jetpack

Feb 24, 2013
    That would burn his Wookie as s hair!

7. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Disney don't care! They gave Iron man a motorcycle for christ sakes! Why would Iron man need a motorcycle!?

8. Boba's Jetpack

Feb 24, 2013
    To show off. s long as the movies kick as s they can put out whatever toys they like. :)

Darth Claire likes this.
  9. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Wow. This feels like one of those troll bait posts. I know it isn't. But wow. Really?
    All 40k+ pages have already being tossed out.
    Take a deep breath.
    Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

10. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    It's certainly much less than 1%.

I'm the biggest SW fan/geek I know, and I learned of Chewie's death on these forums about 2 weeks ago.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Just because you say it doesn't make it true. Prove it.

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [face_rofl]

Oh my...

FWIW, all the millions of press releases (OK, the few that have happened) say that it's going to be an original story - I do think they'll have Chewie along...

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Agreed.

Also, didn't Mayhew say thatwhen he signed for RotS he signed for 4 pictures?

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Ok, fine. I will leave you all to your "I hate the EU" bash fest, because that all this thread has EVER been.

jedimikey likes this.
  15. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Good Point, and there is no way we are not going to see the Falcon too!

16. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I've said this before but if Abrams goes with Chewie already being dead, they could bring him back as a force ghost. They could explain that chewie was a jedi who left the order and returned to kashyyk (which is why yoda had such good relations with the wookies). He then avoided the purges by becoming a smuggler. Also, his nephew lowbacca is a Jedi in the EU.

Thoughts?

17. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Lame. No build up whatsoever, makes it seem totally random.

Boba's Jetpack likes this.
  18. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    See, now that's what I am talking about. You can't just drop Chewie into the movie and act like everything is normal. It will cause too many continuity problems. Chewie was written out of the continuity in a way that was explicitly understood to be non-survivable. If he comes back somehow, his return has to explained in a way that is consistent with the internal logic of how the Star Wars universe functions, so bearing that in we know three things.

1. Wookiees have a strong affinity for the Force.
    2. We actually know very little about Wookiee culture.
    2.There are other Force-based religions and philosophies besides those espoused by the Sith and Jedi.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that Chewie could be retconned into being a Force user, but one who follows a totally different path than the Jedi. The fact that some aspects of Wookiee culture are not discussed with outsiders would explain why he never broached the subject with Luke.

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

But the same is also true for the non-reading movie goer. Chewie is far too iconic to just leave out with a just a passing exposition. It would be like Star Wars without R2...

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You'd have to find a balance between satisfying the hardcore fans and not confusing the hell out the casual viewer, but again we do know that some clones let their Jedi commanders go, that the actions of Obi-wan and Yoda saved many more, and that others were just very on the ball, dropped their lightsabers and literally just walked away. The idea of retconning Chewie into a closet Force user who survived the purge and the enslavement of his people to eventaully return as a Force ghost isn't that much of a stretch IMHO.

22. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Things I wonder: If Luke was dead in the EU, would we be getting fans saying they can't use him because he's dead in the eu?

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No. It would be much different with Luke, because he is a highly accomplished Jedi Master, and the Grand Master of the Order. It would be completely with-in the realm of possibility for a "dead" Luke to manifest himself either directly as a Force ghost or indirectly a holocron avatar. We know from Obi-wan, Yoda and Qui-gon that in the right circumstances, sufficiently skilled Jedi can retain their identities after death. My point is that Luke's "death" could be easily worked around in a matter that is totally consistent with Star Wars' internal logic and would be readily accepted by by serious fans and casual viewers, because we've seen it on screen several times before.

24. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    You know what, you can just drop Chewie into the movie like nothing happened, and that's exactly what they should do.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No you can't. Why is this so hard to comprehend? He was written out of the continuity in a manner that was intentionally crafted to be non-reverseable.