main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi, Oct 31, 2012.

1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Chewbacca is dead & will be replaced by Lowbacca.......

2. scf881

scf881 Jedi Knight

Sep 5, 2004
    it is amazing to me how many people dont seem to understand this. this was one of the first pieces of news to come out after the initial announcement. i am SICK of seeing "who do you think they'll cast as mara jade?" and "i hope they keep blah blah"

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    New storiesdisregards the EU.

krtmd likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    New stories without constraint does = disregarding the EU.

Sure they can write a new story that completely follows the EU, but if they want Chewie to be a part of that new story, they have to disregard the EU.

6. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Why bother with complicated retcons? Just restart the EU - neat and clean.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wonder if Chewie will have an old person growl too?

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah, you beat me to it! I literally just saw this clip yesterday and was gonna post it, and that was pre-thread bump either to ask the question if he'll look older. Stupid Seth Meyers reading my mind...

Actually, has Chewie gotten any new "growl" variations since ROTJ? Everything I heard from him in Sith and his TCW episode sounded like the same ones they've been using since the 80s. It'd be cool if hear it mixed up a bit. I mean, the Big Three are obviously going to sound different due to age, why not Chewie?

eht13 likes this.
  9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I hope they keep Chewie dead. No need to change previous canon.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    They won't bother, they have made it clear that they are going to move ahead with their plan without regard to how it conflicts with the EU. Which is exactly what they should do

11. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Does anyone remember the Star Wars book that came out before the very first Star Wars? Lucas "wrote" that himself and changed it all up. While Lucas is no longer at the helm I am sure he will do whatever we likes. EU after ROTJ I will assume is basically going to be rewrote.

12. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It would really freshen things up if all EU was declared infinities. I would welcome an EU reboot at this point.

13. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Do you know what your saying? Your basically saying all EU, all star wars books, comics, video games, tv series (including TCW) should all be considered "what if", not canon.

Wow just wow. Some purists do scare me.

14. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, all books, comics, video games, and TV series. I've read in the neighborhood of 50% of the books and comics and would love a total restart. Then after that reboot, as soon as the number of retcons get as ridiculous as they are now, start it yet again. It's a fictional universe, I think it will recover better from a restart than it will from a continued muddying of the waters with constant, (and in many cases, unbelievable,) retcons.

DarthBreezy and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  15. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Or just make TCW non-canon. It was such a ridiculous show, I am glad it was cancelled.

16. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I disagree, yes the show has flaws, but then again, no show is perfect.

Why do you dislike TCW? Is there any EU you do like?

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    9/10 times, the answer to that is "yes"

18. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Yeah, I liked the MedStar Duology, Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Lord, etc... I was even looking foward to reading The Cestus Deception, Jedi Trial, and Yoda: Dark Rendevenous. But TCW ruined that for me. (In fact, most of Clone Wars material is better than the Prequel films.)

19. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    By the way, Disney didn't have a hand in killing Chewie.

20. JevanShevu

JevanShevu Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2009
    This is a big question. It all boils down to a few things.
    1. The setting of Episode VII
    2. If Disney will go by the EU Cannon.
    If the film is say 40 years after Return of the Jedi and Chewbacca isn't in the film, then we shouldn't have to worry about the EU getting to messed up because they did their homework and won't want to mess to many things up. However, bear in mind that Lee Land Chee is still working at Lucas FIlm, and i do not think they would allow such a big thing to counterdict past EU Cannon.

21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Hello guys, bstnsx704 here. I've been lurking these forums since around the time the Disney sale and Star Wars Episode VII were announced. I've been a huge Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember and absolutely love the entire six movie saga.

Anyways, on the topic of this thread, if they are going to be bringing back Luke, Han, Leia, etc. (which seems likely given Lucas' latest comment; now I'm just holding out for official confirmation from Disney/Lucasfilm) then they would be stupid not to bring Chewbacca back. I, and the majority of Star Wars fans out there, haven't read and simply don't plan to read the novels, and even most of the people who do read them seem to accept that they are not films that that the movies should go off and do their own thing. Chewbacca is a huge fan favorite, and it'd just feel off if we get to spend some time with these old characters again only to have Chewbacca missing because some random book from over ten years ago that most people haven't even heard of killed him off.

But aside from looking at it from a 'canon' standpoint (I really dislike the word 'canon'; if someone likes something and wants to consider it part of the story or dislikes something and wants to discount it, then they have every right to do so), look at it from both a financial and a creative perspective. Disney spent over four billion dollars on the rights to Star Wars. They are obviously looking to make all of that and more back. If they force themselves to stick within the guidelines of a bunch of books and comics and games then they will severely limit the stories that they can tell and thus will reduce the amount of content that they can put out and charge fans like us for. Similarly, they hired such creative talent as Michael Arndt, J.J. Abrams, Simon Kinberg, and Lawrence Kasdan to flesh out this universe with Episode VII and two as-of-yet unannounced spin-off films. To force these movies (especially Episode VII) into the preexisting 'canon' of the books would severely limit the amount of creativity that would go into each film. They wouldn't be able to take risks with any of the stories because they would always have to worry about overstepping their boundaries and contradicting some source outside of the movies.

I am not saying that the Star Wars expanded universe is bad. In fact, I'm sure a lot of it is quite good. Heck, for all I know the story containing Chewbacca's death may be one of the best Star Wars books out there. But the expanded universe should be exactly what its name says: expanded. The books and the comics and the games are there to expand on the universe and the characters presented in the films, not to take control of them. George Lucas never really felt that the media outside the movies was all too important in any area outside of his wallet. With the series no longer even in the hands of the man who signed off on all of these books, Disney probably cares even less about the maintaining continuity with the expanded universe than George Lucas did.

So yeah, that's my take on the whole Chewbacca and expanded universe situation. Sorry about the long first post. To make a long story short: CHEWBACCA LIVES :)

22. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Blunt.....but fairly accurate.

The EU under Lucas was canon till GL felt like playing in that area again. Post-ROTJ was able to stay "canon" for so long because Lucas never really gave a damn about that era......now that there are sequels that era is likely toast IMO.

23. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Kudos, sir. Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

And for those who want to discuss EU, please take it here:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/official-thread-episode-vii-and-the-expanded-universe.50007053/

Otherwise, I'll just wait for you to post a thread and derail it with off-topic and irrelevant nonsense. My thread, my rules and all that. [face_dancing]

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Wait, you're telling us we can't discuss the EU when the basis of most of this discussion relates to whether his death in Vector Prime will be honoured? Might as well lock the thread.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well if they bring Chewie back and kill him in the ST it will not compare to his death scene in Vector Prime. No chance.