Will it be okay?

Discussion in 'St. Louis, MO' started by Dinogallus, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinogallus Jedi Knight

star 2
    If I get a few more cables for my T.V., I can tape DVDs onto VHS. I could use this to make copies of TPM and AOTC with all deleted scenes in context, but if I were to record those VHSs onto a DVD using a DVD recorder, would it regain it's digital majesty? Does anybody know? Does anybody care?
  2. Dinogallus Jedi Knight

star 2
  3. CuppaJoe Force Ghost

star 4
    The quality would be so so I suppose. But it would still be cool :) .
  4. Jedi_Tabee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have no idea... sorry :(
  5. Dinogallus Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm thinkin' it might be okay, I just want a couple more opinions
  6. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    Your best bet would be to get a DVD ripper, copy the movie to your hard drive, then edit it together there and burn it to a DVD. Of course, there wouldn't be proper musical transitions, and you have have to do the wipes manually. So unless you are a skilled video editor, it probably just wouldn't look right.
  7. _Mike_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    But.... DVD rippers are sorta illigal (Like that'd stop you anyway, Andy ;) )and you computer @ home couldn't handle a full DVD on its Harddrive..... I'd freak out and die :p
  8. _Mike_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, and Andy, on your first post in this topic, you asked severial questions, to answer the last of them, no, noone cares ;) :p
  9. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    but if I were to record those VHSs onto a DVD using a DVD recorder, would it regain it's digital majesty?

No. Once a video has been on VHS, it's forever reduced to that quality. Brian has a good point though. It is possible to rip DVDs onto your hard drive (go to vcdhelp.com for more info on how). You can then edit it from there. You might even be able to pull it off using the one that comes with Windows. However, a full movie takes up tons of space on a HD (on the order of Gigabytes). Also, it is not illegal so long as you're not distributing it.
  10. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm confused Mike, do you know this guy? And DVD rippers aren't illegal if they're used soley for personal use (I think. I might be wrong). I actually use a DVD ripper all the time because in my spare time, I like to put together better trailers for movies that I have. So far I've made trailers for Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Beauty and the Beast. If I'm ever able to log back into my web space at school, I'll post them here.
  11. _Mike_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    I had seen some news report about some DVD ripperapp and there was some debate about its legality, the courts were leaning toard illigal, but I guess for peersonal use, its all good... Didn't think about that. :p

And yes, I do know him, he lives down the street from me.
  12. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Dinogallus, just so you know, your name doesn't mean "fearfully big chicken" like your profile claims.

The prefix Dino- is greek and if I remember correctly means "thunder". The Gallus is latin though and means "male chicken".

Just thought I'd let you know.
  13. _Mike_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    OOOOOOO! Andy's Latin knowledge got DISSED! :p

*pokes OA members* (if you don't know what the OA is, then you're not a member :-D) Thunderchicken
  14. Dinogallus Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well VoijaRisa, I know for a fact that "bronto" means "thunder", but I am pretty sure "dino" means "fearfully great"
    And, I knew that "gallus" meant "male chicken", but I am a male, so it works. Even still, "Thunder chicken" is just as funny
  15. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    OA = Order of the Arrow?

~H~
  16. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    You're right about "bronto" meaning "thunder". But dino is still a greek word.

I checked and it comes from the greek word "deinos" which means monstorous. When making up the species name they created "dino" from that which is what's known as New Latin (in other words, it's made up words for scientific use that have no real relation to Latin).

So you're a "monstorous chicken". I've got a whole "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" mental picture going on now... A green glowing, radioactive giant chicken rampaging through the streets...
  17. Dinogallus Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, it's still good. Monstrous and fearfully great are just about the same thing. I see no major differences.

I would like to know where you looked those words up. Was it a book or a website? If it was a website, please tell me somehow, but I'll be getting a book when I take Latin in highschool.

I am impressed!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.