main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    Hmmm... Remember how J.J. said that Rey's parents do not appear in the film? He later clarified by saying "What I meant was that she doesn't discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world." Which means that she could have encountered at least one parent without realizing it. And that itself could mean that only one parent dropped her off at Jakku, and that she experienced that parent's death in her Force vision. Which could have been her mother's fate. Not her father's.

Which leads to the "No... There is another." thought when it comes to Rey's name being a much used alias, as well as the conclusion that she is a Skywalker. Because even Episode VIII has given us a hint to what the legacy can mean. If you have seen the film, you might remember that Ahch-To had a yin-yang kind of symbol gathering water in it. And this could have been used as a revelation for all three generations of Skywalker.

1: Anakin Skywalker: Darkness that confronts the light. He does not keep it in check, nor does he embrace it. This can be blamed on the Jedi Council who did nothing to keep his trust, and that was something Palpatine also took advantage of. His legacy continues with his two children, and ends with him protecting the son he never got to raise.

2: Luke Skywalker: I am not adding Leia Organa because like the 'Legacy continuity', her goal is to rebuild the Republic.Which has Luke be the light that confronts the darkness. Which also becomes an issue even after the last of the original Sith being undone. Because both the Light and the Dark need each other to keep things in balance.

Which leads to the current generation.

3: Ben Solo: In the first part of the trilogy, he chose to embrace Darth Vader's legacy. And in the recent part it was revealed that he was the Dark Side trying to embrace the Light. Which did not work out because of [insert spoilers here]. And this leads to him not having a Yin to his Yang before Rey appeared.

And also note that Ben knew about Rey's existence in the first film. He did not know who she was and what she looked like. Which can mean that he did know Rey's parents, befriended her early on, and killed her because she was connected to Luke Skywalker in some way. This would give him a reason to call her parents "Losers." because one hooked up with Luke, and the other was Luke. And we pretty much know how he feels about his Uncle Luke.

Right?

Either way... She was chosen to be Anakin Skywalker's half of the legacy. Which has her be the one that is the Light, and has her role be to keep the Dark Side in check. Not eradicate it as that can also cause imbalance. But rather make sure that it does not become stronger than it should be.

So beyond Episode IX? I am making huge speculations. Ones that can justify what Anakin did in the Prequel Trilogy kind of huge. And that is by the end of the trilogy, BOTH the Jedi and the Sith will be reinvented. The Jedi will take on what Rey has created and keep the Dark Side in check. The Sith will take on what Ben has created and keep the Light Side in check. And even when the Skywalker name is no more, the laws used to maintain the Force will bear that name.

Now if you don't mind... I am going to go back to wondering what connections Shmi Skywalker had with Darth Plagueis. And if Rey's mother had anything to do with Luke knowing what Ahch-To offered in terms of the original Jedi. Because both feel more like untold side-stories than just mere coincidences.

2. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I hope not - I want a fourth trilogy.

3. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I agree. I actually walked out of TLJ and thought to myself, "What the heck is everyone even fighting about anymore?!" There has been little contextual setup to any of it.

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Umm. Pardon me, I'm not sure if you noticed, but the First Order tends to invade villages and call for the deaths of EVERYONE and is now run by a maniac whose a member of the strongest Force-sensitive family in the galaxy. There's a small group of concerned citizens who would rather like to put a stop to this.

cut-of-space likes this.
  5. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    In TFA. I'm not sure if you noticed, but TLJ was meant to deconstruct everything and "blur the lines." As DJ said (not sure the exact quote), "good guys/bad guys, made up words." What did the First Order do that was so bad in TLJ? Hunt down their wartime enemy?

If they want the FO to appear to be the big bad guys again, they need to show us the state of the galaxy, and why they are so harmful. Not just because they're "bad" and the other side is "good."

Darkspellmaster and HispAnakin like this.
  6. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    DJ is an opportunistic character and that statement is his POV, not the running theme of the whole movie. TFA showed us the "state of the galaxy", but if that's not good enough for you, consider that in this movie, Kylo orders his troops to take no prisoners. The FO is clearly presented as merciless in both movies.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Right but then they'd find the heir and he or she would be good or evil and we're immediately be back to rerunning the Skywalker stories we've already seen.

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If Kylo were to have a relationship prior to TFA and we hear about a child from that relationship, I suspect that would be an idea bubbling around for the future but won't appear in the ST. I don't think that anything from the ST will clearly or subtly point to another chapter. It needs to close the door to what we've seen before 1-9. I still think there's a chance that Rey is related, but I'm certainly not banking on it not will I argue with anyone to make that claim since I don't have anything with which to do that. I just think that we will need to wait and see what JJ does before we say that anything is off the table.

But I do think that they need to close this chapter. If they need to make an Episode X because things are too busy for just one more movie then so be it. I'd like that. But if Rey is not related (I admit that is very very likely) then I'd say that Kylo will die in a new kind of sacrifice and that we will not see any Skywalkers remaining. But we WILL see a very touching reason why the Skywalkers existed in the first place which gives hope. And it would be equally nice to see a flashback in IX that shows all of the Big OT3 with baby Ben to show they did lead a happy life for a while. They can do that with CGI very easily and don't have to make a CGI of Carrie as we know her in her final years.

9. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    devils' advocate:

How would mystery Kylo child popping up in in the last act of a trilogy be good storytelling or further the force narrative. I get it, it's continuing the line without having him live and gives you a progeny for those against Kylo/Rey.

but really, this isn't storytelling, it doesn't further the Force story. It's just an agenda being put forth to try to prevent other outcomes.

10. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Adam Driver (who is a Method actor) had to ask Rian Johnson if Ben Solo had ever kissed a girl before. Suffice to say, the character's likely a virgin. The offspring won't be from pre-Rey. For that matter, Rey is almost certainly a virgin, too.

It's like the hardcore denial zone fanbase doesn't even see the main plotline in the last two movies.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh,
    [​IMG]

:)

12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    IMO, what is powerful about the whole "generational saga" thing is that kids get to interact with their parents. Luke obviously did interact a lot with Vader, in the same way Kylo does with Han and Luke (and probably Leia in IX, had tragedy not happened).

What would be the point of Luke having a hidden kid now? I want to see that kid do stuff with Luke. If not it would be really cheap. Same goes for Kylo's kid. If he has a kid, which I think he does not, I want to see a similar dynamic to the one Vader had with Luke.

The fans who dislike the scenario in which Kylo and Rey have an offspring, I would say it feels more realistic keeping Kylo alive, and have his offsping appear in X to be trained by Rey. With Kylo appearing later on in the trilogy.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  13. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I have no problems with the end of the Skywalker bloodline.
    Dynasties end sooner or later.

And I think that will make them even more "special".
    The Chosen One was special, so it was his bloodline.
    It lasted as long as it was needed. It ended when the state of the Galaxy was
    fixed again according to the will of the force.

Yes it may be sad, but it may serve a good (perhaps the best) arc for all of them.

And I think, a trilogy of the trilogies is not just enough, but perhpas the maximum you may do
    without diminishing the concept itself of a Saga (different than a serie of movies in chronological order).

However... that's my opinion.
    LF and Disney may have another, especially because there are fans that have another take of this.

If they want to go on withe the Skywalker Saga (or at least not close the door)
    there are few options.

1 - Reylo
    2 - Ben survives, but he chooses a life of atonement and self exclution.
    IX ends with him leaving but in ep X we'll learn he had an offspring between the 2 movies.
    3 - Luke had a child, without knowing between ep IV and ep V.
    This is the only time gap I always believed may work.

One may like them less or more.
    Personally I loved #2, especially becuase it leaves that door open.
    But after TLJ I don't think that may be case. Kylo killed Snoke.
    He is now in the position Palpatine was, not in that of Vader.
    And I find hard to see that working... but sure they can do it even if I won't find it compelling
    as I don't find compelling Reylo as many may not find compelling #3.

That is why, I'd love the big twist to be at the end of IX Anakin born again.
    It's the only option that may save the day start to finish.
    Kill them all, the Jedi, the Sith, the Skywalker to start again, this time with all the wisdom needed.
    Because failure is greatest master.
    But that is totally headcanon.

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    This is Star Wars not Twilight so option 3 I have no problems with!

Here's some more.
    4) Han & Leia had another child but not force sensitive she takes after Han explaining why he was away from home so much whilst Ben feeling jealous of his non-force sensitive sibling becomes far easier to corrupt.
    Yes there's no evidence they had another child, but it would explain the misconception they were separated if they're coping as best as they can with two kids and a need to keep busy.
    5) Phasma's niece Frey supposedly killed in a "weapon's malfunction" easily explained as a lie to coax information from a captive so this could explain Rey's parents and why Kylo thinks they're noone.
    Frey is a member of a nomadic clan named Skyre, now imagine her great grandmother enslaved and kidnapped finding herself with amnesia and pregnant naming herself Schmi Skywalker due to a misunderstanding of her past (Skyre walkers is nomads on Parnassos) meaning Rey IS a Skywalker just not a descendant of Anakin!

Any other suggestions?!

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  15. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Having a surprise Skywalker somewhat cheapens the whole ST in some ways. Why not just throw in a mysterious Skywalker now? Having a Skywalker in the future means that they have to have new movies, presumably episodic movies, and that will seem contrived at best. They could have just done that now by making the ST take place far into the future but it would still be the same ol' story. May as well have made a Skywalker in THIS ST apart from Kylo Ren. We already have the "lost Skywalker who comes from an evil past" in Luke. A mystery child for Kylo would not serve any purpose. A mystery child for Luke AFTER this trilogy is even worse. May as well have made that person Rey and make it so that Luke didn't know he had a child.

16. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    The movie for surprises from the past was TLJ. Any lost Skywalker kid at this point would be silly. Rey should have been the lost Skywalker heir.

I don't think they are following that route tbh. My guess is if the Skywalker lineage is to survive, it will be through Ben Solo after IX.

17. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    five bucks says Snap miraculous shows up in IX

18. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Good point. It's fine if Rey ends up being truly random. But throwing in another Skywalker in this trilogy OR in future trilogies would seem to undermine Rey's whole purpose in this story. If she is "random" then that is what the story is about-how a random girl with "nobody" parents is handed the torch from the Skywalkers. If another Skywalker comes in at any point then it takes that story of the random girl who became a hero and flushes it down the toilet. That is true if that heir was good OR bad.

If the Skywalkers are to continue, then either:
    (1) Rey and Kylo have children-let's NOT go any further with that in this thread!
    (2) Rey is secretly a Skywalker.

I'd say neither is likely so the Skywalker family will end in the physical sense but live on in the spirtual. Hmmm.....sounds like the Skywalker family is almost like the most well known individual who exists in spiritual form but gave his life in the physical and was formed from the most powerful force in the universe.

19. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    No wonder Daisy Ridley isn't dying to come back. She could have been the new Anakin or Luke but instead she's not even a Skywalker. It's like she was an inch away from inheriting the mantle of the greatest fictional family of all time and then it just slipped through her fingers, ouch.

Jazz9276 and Darkspellmaster like this.
  20. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    What do you mean?

21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney introduced a long lost sister for Kylo Ren. I think they’re going to react to this backlash in some way.

22. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

Good god no. Enough with the retcon that she is secretly a skywalker/solo. This has been answered in TLJ. Sometimes the truth is actually staring you in the face.

23. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    (1a) Kylo has children with anyone (why would it need to be Rey?)
    (3) There is a cousin or sibling of Kylo hanging around somewhere

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  24. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Not to mention how cheap these things look. I believe one of the reason for not making Rey related was precisely this. Making her related in IX, giving Luke, Leia or Kylo a hidden kid would be even cheaper.

Please no.

Birkendoc likes this.
  25. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Both 1a and 3 would undermine the whole purpose of Rey as a "random" hero. Why would we need to have the message of a random hero getting the baton from the Skywalkers if a future story would go back to the Skywalkers again? I am VERY opposed to a Rey/Kylo relationship but that's a whole different story. And if there is another Skywalker, it completely defeats the whole idea that a hero is not determined by heritage.

I suppose Rey can meet and marry a future Skywalker but that is so convoluted, won't happen in the ST, and doesn't really go anywhere.

I thnk the whole question of whether the Skywalkers should end applies to the characters that are currently in the saga films and not some character showing up in theoretical later episodes. Because that would essentially be the same as the Skywalker family ending since we are now assuming IX to be it.

Mostly Handless and Jazz9276 like this.