main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. DjTomek

DjTomek Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 20, 2018
    Its a fairy tale, not law and order. Wheres the justice for the people Poe killed with his huge ego ? If you go with that kind of logic into these movies your gonna be dissapointed no matter what.
    Just because your out for his blood cause he killed some geezer on Jakku doesn't mean everybody else is. Personally as far as im concerned Ben's only sin is killing his father, and he is suffering for that plenty.

Darth Gummybear and Lost_Hope like this.
  2. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    dp

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  3. ahsokatano713

ahsokatano713 Jedi Knight

Feb 13, 2018
    The people Poe got killed were all combatants. They are First Order and Resistance soldiers who chose to fight. The people Kylo Ren has killed are innocent. Lor San Tekka, the villagers on Jakku, and the millions upon millions killed by SKB were all attacked without provocation. As for this being a fairy tale, justice is done in all the fairy tales I know. Villains always meet a bad end for their misdeeds.

4. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    I disagree, Poe killed his own men and women with his stupid decision. The villagers were all fighting back not standing there with their hands up. San Teka and the villagers were hiding and helping the resistance (his enemy) so in the context of the conflict between the two factions its not so cut and dry. SKB was Hux's baby, the VD states that very clearly, he is called "The Destroyer Of Worlds". I think the clear cut bad guy you want to hate is Hux not Kylo to be honest.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, you've made it clear that excusing Kylo's actions is your favorite hobby, but people can hate him just fine for his own "clear cut" evil acts. To be honest.

6. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    At least a decade, when the well runs dry.

7. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    It won't be the end because 1 of 2 things will IMO happen. 1) Rey is revealed to be Luke's daughter after all. 2) A new character enters who is Luke's son or daughter.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Personally, as probably an "old geezer" by your standards, I'd prefer as a poster and as a mod that you avoid such terms as geezer, at least in the context you used it. It's dehumanizing and dismissing, as if "an old geezer's" life means very little vs., you know, a person.

9. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    But thats the problem, while hes done acts of evil, we learn in TLJ that not many are so clear cut. I never actually excused anything, i simply said that the evil he has done (until TLJ atleast) is not so clear cut and many factors attributed to his behaviour (factors witch he had no control over), i mean its pretty obvious from TLJ no ? Im assuming here we all watched the same movie and didn't look the other way when Luke revealed the truth about what he did that night, or when Snoke was electrocuting and gaslighting him into a rage ? Or the role Snoke himself played in Kylo's fall ?

In comparisson Hux's motivations and behaviour are very clear....hes evil.
    I think i was pretty neutral and sticked to the facts in all i said about him until now tbh.

10. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    I understand, i'm sorry for offending a fictional old person.

11. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Poe was at least slapped, demoted, left out, stunned and arrested. Notice that the story doesn't give him any sympathy like it does Kylo though? It doesn't give him the victim treatment at all or let him explain his side of the story.

Another thing is that the Resistance is in a much different spot than the First Order. The Resistance is desperate, where the First Order is not.

If they wanted to keep the Skywalkers going, they should've just made Rey an actual Skywalker by blood. But so many people didn't want that because they were supposedly "tired of everything being about the Skywalkers." But now that Kylo is still evil, everyone thinks he should get redemption and a happy ending "because he's a Skywalker." It's obvious the real reason people didn't want Rey to be a Skywalker because you see it all over the forum now. It was never about her character being "interesting." It was about Ben.

And since when has familial. hero/villains been a boring trope that took away from the story? Lion King, Black Panther.

Even Spider-Man's villains 90% of the time have some connection to Peter Parker. It's what makes the story interesting.

I really don't think the Skywalkers are gonna continue. Otherwise they wouldn't have treated Luke, Han and Leia so poorly. I think it shows where their mind is at rn. Especially with two more non-Skywalker trilogies on the way. I think Rey is gonna be given the Skywalker legacy by choice to further push the non-familial theme forward.

But suddenly everyone on the forum wants it to be about the Skywalkers again...

Also, Ben is literally a child murderer too. And he killed all of Luke's Jedi. And presumably others considering he's been at it for years. Him feeling guilty about killing one person doesn't really mean much. Nor does it fix anything in TLJ as he's still perfectly fine being evil and showed no signs of wanting redemption throughout the entire film.

Don't get me wrong. I like Kylo and I'm rooting for him. But he's not the victim, nor does he deserve special treatment just because he's a Solo/Skywalker. The series so far hasn't given Han, Luke and Leia any special treatment to the story or with their legacies up to this point.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  12. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I see IX ending in a way that both "ends" the Skywalker line but leaves it open at some point if they choose to revisit it.

At some point Kylo turns back to Ben and helps destroy the First Order once and for all. Peace finallt reigns over the Galaxy, and a "New" New Republic is established on Coruscant. One of it's first actions is the Trial of Ben Solo for Galactic War Crimes. He is found guilty, but leniency is begged for by several witnesses, including Rey and Leia who point out his crimes should not be unpunished, but neither should his actions to finally end the FO be unrecognized. the sentence of death is commuted,and instead he is sentenced to life imprisonment on a small asteroid outpost in the Unknown Regions,with only Leia knowing the location.She is trusted to take him there, as the new leaders of the Republic admit it was the old regime's not trusting her that indirectly lead to it's demise. Movie ends with a celebration of the rebirth of democracy and the Republic on Coruscant , while on Ach-To Rey is shown teaching her first class of prospective Jedi Padawan's the lesson of reaching out with your feelings while the Spirit of Luke looks on from a distance with pride. On the asteroid Ben sits in silence, surrounded by darkness, a single tear runs down his cheek. Suddenly the Spirit of Anakin appears to him,and Ben instinctively recognizes him. He briefly lashes out, asking his Grandfather why he never came to him before, why he never counseled him to do the right thing, stay on the true path. Anakin says it was the Will of the Force, that much like himself Ben had to make his own path,his own choices. That Anakin could not redeem Ben, only Ben could do it himself. Dejected, Ben slumps down, saying his life,his future, EVERYTHING is over. Anakin kneels down next to him,and tells him he knows what it's like to feel that way. But that he is not this crude matter, but rather a luminous being. Through the Force he will never truly be alone. And through the Force he will learn great things. This is his first lesson, many more Anakin will teach him, as Ben looks up from his kneeling position at his Grandfather, who puts his hand on his shoulder. Cue fade to credits.

After that, years later, they can go whichever way they want. Never revisit Ben again,could say he died,the asteroid was destroyed, have Rey go get him (Leia told her where he was before she died) . I envisioned a scenario where about 15 - 20 years pass in SW time. The new Jedi Academy is flourishing.Master Rey is Headmistress ,and her husband Admiral Poe Dameron visits quite often. But there's a hellcat in the newest group of Padawan's. A 12 year old spifire who isn't dark, but bucks the establishment a bit. Poe and Rey's daughter. Strong with the Force,she carries a legacy she doesn't even know about. For Rey had secretly visited Ben several times over his incarceration. Due to their connection in the Force she felt his pain and sometimes depair. She also knew he was studying techniques and training during his solitude in a way she was unfamiliar with. so not only did she go to check on him, but to also seek his advice on matters of the Force. During one of these visitations, against their better judgement,they gave into their passions. And Rey returned to the Republic not only with more knowledge of the force to pass on, but unknowingly with a child. The last heir to the Skywalker Legacy and bloodline.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, c'mon now - what a condescending, insincere response. If "old geezers" are dispensable to you so easily, you seem not to have an iota of understanding of how your post may reflect your personal feelings (I say "may," as I don't know you).

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    No. We don't know what Snoke did to turn him, and Luke did nothing that would turn a good person into a mass murdering, patricidal, torturer, space nazi. Kylo is ACTUALLY an adult, who is responsible for his own choices and actions. Unless we find out that Snoke was mind controlling him in some way, it's on his head.

15. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    My personal feelings about Lor San Tekka are easy to understand, i don't care about him. That doesn't mean i go around in real life calling old people geezers or something. I find this whole argument weird tbh.

16. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah, I think fans whose favourite hobby is demonizing Ren to the level of Pure Evil™ in SW-universe kind of always forget to mention Snoke. Especially when "Kylo-defenders" are often trying to say that the film implies that Kylo is not Pure Evil™. Starting with the reason why Snoke was seducing Ren since the beginning - because Ben is Skywalker. If I understand correctly, you can blame and defend any fictional character on the internet.

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  17. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    Now who has a hobby, what are you gonna do next, proclaim Snoke Kylo's victim or something ? Half of what you said in there is untrue or blatantly hateful.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not in the least untrue, and Snoke got what was coming to him. I feel no sympathy for him.
    The films do a good enough job of that on their own. Maybe, if the films ever give us a reason to feel sympathy for Kylo, my mind will change. I hope so. I really don't like that the last Skywalker/Solo has become a monster.

19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    What part of @Pro Scoundrel 's comment was untrue about Kylo?

Mass murderer? True.
    Patricide? True
    Torturer? True
    Part of an organization that wants to rule like the Empire? True.
    Now the Supreme Leader of the organization that wants to rule like the Empire because he killed his boss? True.

If badly fleshed out, woobified Kylo is what we are left with, then by all means, end the Skywalker saga in the 9th film.

20. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    this part is untrue
    Nobody is woobifying Kylo, the movies are.

21. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Your comment doesn't clarify which part is untrue. Kylo committed all those crimes I just listed in both films. Are you trying to say someone else tortured Poe? I am pretty sure that was Kylo Ren I saw doing that.

Are you claiming that Kylo Ren did not commit patricide/ kill his father? I am pretty sure that was Kylo Ren standing on the bridge with Han.

And if you are saying he didn't do any of those things, the movies aren't the ones doing the woobifying.

22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If the Skywalker family does live on when do you all think we'd see another film with a S
    I could see either of those happening.

23. DjTomek

Feb 20, 2018
    Do the characters exist and act in a vacuum for you ? Im genuinely curious at your ability to discard context at the drop of a hat just to make your point.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, we're not playing a game of rewriting the movie here. Kylo is guilty of everything listed above. If you can't debate in good faith then leave. Your "going from thread to thread to defend Kylo at every turn" shtick has grown old. If you want to speculate that Kylo will be redeemed, fine. If you want to speculate that Snoke was somehow mind controlling Kylo, fine. But we are not pretending that Kylo did not kill, and order killed, unarmed prisoners, torture both Poe and Rey, kill his own father, join a tyrannical space nazi orginization, which committed a genocide, and which he now leads, attempt to kill the remaining heroes, which include his own mother, after refusing TWO different attempts to turn him back to the good side.

25. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Are you saying that Kylo did not do those things?