main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    At this point, I kinda hope so. The fate of the Skywalkers is too divisive among fans. Time to move on, I think. Not exactly what I want, but might be best for the franchise.

Tommytom, Jazz9276 and blu like this.
  2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    If it is the end of the Skywalkers, it should also be the end of the Episodic Saga.

TheReal_Rebel, Ren Kylo, B99 and 2 others like this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Unless they go back.

4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Agreed. The Skywalkers are the characters that link all of the films together. Getting rid of them and then continuing on to make Episodes 10, 11, and 12 would be a major misstep.

Lucasfilm would be better off expanding the universe through side stories that focus on specific characters or time periods. If you keep making Episodes, it's no longer one cohesive story as I-VI were intended to be (and it isn't anyway now).

cut-of-space and Tommytom like this.
  5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm slowly coming to the theory of the entire galaxy will unite against Kylo Ren.

He'll become too much of a tyrant, that Hux secretly works with the resistance to stop him.

6. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    It will be the end of the Episodic Saga as well most likely.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    It could be the end of the episodic films, but maybe not. I think the Star Wars films will have a series of films focused on a central storyline.

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I never said they didn’t respect the OT?

MODified: Removed wholly unnecessary and questionable content.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2017
  9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I hope so. I just want this saga to end so the story can focus on other things besides the Skywalker family. This is not to say I don't love the latest saga movies. In fact, I'm pretty sure TLJ is my favorite one. It's a grape freezepop of a movie. But a trilogy of trilogies is nice and symmetrical and there's no point dragging the story on ad infinitum. And once John Williams is gone, it will feel like a different series anyway, so why not start from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerlosh likes this.
  10. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Since George Lucas is supposed to have envisioned 9 movies, I think they should end this Skywalker saga and start a completely new story, maybe about a new family or race (hint..hint...Chiss :D )....we could always get anthology movies about the characters from the saga and what happens to them.

11. Darren_Saw

Darren_Saw Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Yep this is the end.

Disney needs to make room for Rian's Hunger Games/Divergent/Maze Runner like trilogy now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    I don't see a good reason to stop making films about the Sykwalkers and Solos (their offspring). These are beloved characters that many in the fanbase would love to see more movies about. I think this desire to have all new characters only is mistaken. It assumes the new characters will be nearly as good as the old. We haven't seen anything like that from JJ and Rian yet. The most interesting new character in the sequels is Kylo Ren.

I'm more than happy to watch new SW films with new characters -- but why throw the Skywalkers away?

TheReal_Rebel and Yora like this.
  13. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    From what I can tell the only reason to bring the OT cast back was to kill them off and get those characters out of the way for Disney to make what ever they want and milk the franchise name. I really want to like the new trilogy but I just get the feeling they are trying to kill the old as fast as they can.

Ahsoka Blaster and Darren_Saw like this.
  14. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I see 3:

1)Without John Williams scoring, any new saga trilogy is going to feel like a separate thing anyway.

2)The 3 act structure is perfectly encapsulated in 9 films.

3)After the new Jedi rise, there really is nowhere left to go that doesn't repeat the same story over and over again.

15. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    Why do you assume 3) is true? You've considered all the story possibilities, however infinite they may be? And: how would new characters avoid the problem you assume?

16. Darren_Saw

Darren_Saw Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Agreed, the next trilogy will probably be something like maze runner or some similar nonsense.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

17. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I mean, it's possible new jedi won't rise in IX, making a fourth trilogy necessary, but the central dramatic problem of the galaxy being unable to keep the Force in balance, is only interesting until it's resolved, and hopefully that won't be when the series has run out of creative luster. The ST itself is already a narrative stretch for a story which found so much resolution in Ep. 6. It's prevented from being a forgettable sequel solely because the Jedi have not yet returned, so there is still something to anticipate.

18. Ahsoka Blaster

Nov 12, 2017
    I guess I don't understand why Skywalkers can't have single films or even a new trilogy? Personally, I don't care if they shifted the themes of the "Saga" around but continued the episodic numbering, but this is formal issue. We could begin a new Skywalker saga about an alien invasion of darkside beings we've never encountered before, or we could have a Mandalorian war, or whatever, a story about Ben and Rey trying to create a new democratic galaxy.

You see what I'm saying? If we like the Skywalkers, we can have new adventures with them. Just like we did in Legends. That seems more interesting than the Poe Dameron trilogy.

TheReal_Rebel likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the Skywalker Saga ends at 9 because everybody's dead. Luke's dead, Leia is (really likely) going to die somehow without Carrie Fisher to perform her anymore, and Kylo's the main bad guy so he's dead.

.... unless he had a kid somewhere off screen. Which is possible. But, he's probably going to die and there ends the Skywalkers because, holy hell, did they sure mess up / save / mess up / save the galaxy for a few decades there.

20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I disagree I think GL wanted the Big 3 to have a smaller role. That said, I can see why you feel this way. And I don’t want X-XII. But I think VIII sets up post-IX.

21. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    When it comes to SW movies, as of now we have a trilogy movie alternating with an anthology movie. Once this present trilogy is done, RJ's new trilogy will begin a year after the anthology movie that follows the Han Solo one in 2020 (Kenobi, Boba, bounty hunters etc).

If RJ's trilogy is only going to be a trilogy, then the earliest the Disney/LF can re-visit the question of an episode 10-12 of the Skywalker saga is 2027....otherwise, we'll have to wait until 2033 or 2039 for episode 10-12, depeding on whether there are sequels to RJ's trilogy.... if RJ's new trilogy falls flat or people demand a Skywalker saga, Disney can always re-visit the question during these years...but I feel they will try to move on from the Skywalker family long before that.

The only way they can further explore the stories of these new characters in the ST is through anthology movies in between the new trilogy movies. I'm also curious whether JJ will pursue the Knights of Ren movie he said he would like to make....if its an ancient order, maybe they will go into Old Republic territory. I would personally prefer them going back in time and exploring ancient battles and adventures rather than the future.

22. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I said it even before TLJ.
    This may be not only the end of the skywalker saga but of their bloodline too. End meeting the beginning. Something I may like.
    And in all truth after TLJ that's the only endgame I can actually like.
    If I have to bet that is a 50%.
    Or maybe a 66%.
    Rey and Poe were set as the surrogate heirs. On the other side there's Ben/Kylo.
    The endgame is Reylo or the end of Anakin's bloodline with or without a Rey-Poe romance. 33% each.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I would say this is a nice guess.

Taking into account the message TLJ sends regarding the Force being inside more and more people, I would say at this point having the Skywalker lineage continue would seem contradictory.

Darth_Articulate and mlsw like this.
  24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If this is truly the end of the Skywalkers and Rey is truly a nobody (no reason to think otherwise unless a shocker comes in IX) then it means that people don't really have any reason to watch VII-IX because it @#$% on I-VI. No reason to watch heroes come to a conclusion in beating the Sith and Empire if you are only going to watch VII-IX and see that it means absolutely nothing and the Skywalkers were more harm that good.

TheReal_Rebel likes this.