main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will JJ and Disney react to the fan backlash regarding the lack of VII in the title?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jonipoon, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yep billions on billions of money.

2. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    What i no comprende?

3. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    When it gets released as Blu-ray/Dvd it will say: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. It is a CONTINUING story line.

4. BowtiesAreCool

BowtiesAreCool Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm just gonna chime in and say this: There's really not a lot of discussion going on about a lack "Episode VII" in the title for marketing so this thread is a bit much but I understand why it annoys some people. It annoys me too. The fact that the opening crawl, website, the wiki and the IMDb still keep the "Episode" part indicates to me this a pure marketing move. We can still refer to it as "Episode VII".

All of that aside, I feel like I need to say this...I'm sorry but yes, people are pretty dumb. The general movie going public doesn't pay enough attention to what they consume at the theater cause to them it's one tiny part of their lives and it's simply disposable entertainment. They made the Transformers films (by all accounts, save the first one, a horrendous series of movies) one of the most successful franchises in history. Star Wars (and film) means a lot more to us. I GUARANTEE you, there WILL be confusion about the Star Wars chronology once the spinoffs start coming out. Lucasfilm should've kept the "Episode VII" part of the title in the marketing, if for nothing else than to distinguish itself from the spinoffs.

I promise all of you, people do not pay enough attention to movies understand even the simplest of concepts. To this day, people are confused about the prequels and where they fit into the continuity.

Indy 11 likes this.
  5. Indy 11

Indy 11 Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    Did they ever clear up this issue? They never said that "Episode VII" was not going to be in the title, am I right? Maybe I'm still in denial or I am hopelessly optimistic about it. I think it will include episode VII in the title, on the posters, in the movie when it hits theaters. If it doesn't, it is really going to piss off the OCD in me as far as film title continuity goes. I really hope they keep VII in the title goddamnit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    The Force Awakens is the official title for me. Hopefully the next 2 are called the force awakens 2 and 3. I would really love if Disney did that.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But... how will people know that there is a new Star Wars film when they mistakenly named it Star Wars: The Force Awakens? I certainly didn't even know which forum I was supposed to be managing once the numbering disappeared from the title...

8. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

it will be in the opening crawl...that's about it. People maybe will refer to it as ep 7, but it probably wont be in the logos.

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Um probably when folks start seeing ads for the new disney produced Star Wars movie. Once people see the ads they will know an all new movie is coming out.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  11. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

I know that but my point is this is the sequel to "Return of the Jedi" not "Revenge of the Sith" therefor it's continues from the Original Trilogy since again it's directly after Jedi. That's why JJ and Kathleen chose to do the title without "Episode" it in. It's clear they are bringing it back to the style of the original trilgoy. My comment was not to exclude the Prequels from Star Wars History. I liked them but Episode VII is about the Original Trilogy as it shows the futher adventures of Han, Luke and Leia. The issue with this whole debate is cause we just saw the prequels last decade and everyone is used to see "Episode" now. Again when Lucas did "EPISODE I" that was a marketing stradegy to remind all fans. "THIS IS NOT THE SEQUEL TO RETURN OF THE JEDI, THIS IS BEFORE IT ALL". He had to do that. He couldn't just call it "The Phantom Menace".

Jcuk likes this.
  12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Come on folks...... Its not like they turned around and said that this film is not Ep VII in that its not part of the numbered film saga. THAT would something to be upset about.

They just announced the title.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Whether they get the continuity or not is irrelevant as long as they buy tickets.

14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If the movie going public have been blissfully unaware there's been a new Star Wars film in production then more the fool them. People read newspapers, the Internet etc. As far as I'm aware it's been in the newspapers. It's been on the Internet. If some dopey Transformers fan (or whatever) is suddenly aware that 'Ooh there's a new Star Wars film coming out' and is confused (not hard for such idiots) about what it all means and where TFA stands in the whole scheme of things chronologically? Then as far as I'm concerned these people can go get a big tub of 'go **** yourself' *ahem*

TheBBP likes this.
  15. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    We didn't need Episode numbers or "Part so and so" in the Indiana Jones films. Hell, watching the first 5 minutes of Temple of Doom lets you know it takes place before Raiders (whaddya know. another Lucasfilm Prequel).

Most franchises seem to be getting away from the numbering system it seems.

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises
    X-men First Class, X-Men Days of Future Past
    Avengers, Avengers Age of Ultron, Avengers Infinity War
    Captain America The First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Civil War
    as someone stated before the LOTR/Hobbit movies and Hunger Games
    Even JJ's Star Trek films are not numbered.

Its a non-issue. Are people dumb? Sure. But most have enough neurons firing to figure this stuff out on their own.

I've actually talked to my coworkers and customers at the shop I work at about the title and the most common response is "Well, that's a better title than Attack of the Clones". The episode number never came up.

16. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012

Thank You. Like It's called "Battle of Five Armies" not "The Hobbit 3". Even though we know It's "The Hobbit 3". We know "The Force Awakens" is Episode VII. Also the original Star Wars Trilogy was not numbered. "Return of the Jedi" wasn't Star Wars 3 and "Empire" wasn't called Star Wars 2 at the time. (Well Time Magazine called Jedi Star Wars 3, lol):

[​IMG]

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I hope official pics leak soon. The title discussion is already. . . .[face_tired]

jedinightwing, TK327 and TheBBP like this.
  18. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think if Grey is on the money we'll have official pics within the week. Definitely feels a case of sooner rather than later.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I am inclined to emphatically agree.

Satipo likes this.
  20. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Is there really backlash over this?

Clearly, it's a marketing tool. I'm sure that once the entire ST box set comes out, they'll revert to using the numbers again. And anybody with a brain would easily be able to figure out the chronological order of the saga films.

It gets tricky when they begin to do spin-off films, but maybe they'll have a special "series" kind of title for those films, similar to X-Men Origins, etc. Or maybe those films won't be called Star Wars, but something altogether entirely. And I wouldn't be surprised if they just named films after specific characters or events.

21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If the spin offs are to be of well known characters: Obi Wan, Han Solo, Yoda etc. Then the simplest way to market them IMO is to call them 'Star Wars Origins' 'The Adventures of (insert character name)'..Simple, to the point, job done :)

Rabs likes this.
  22. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012
    I think for the Spin offs you call them:

STAR WARS LEGENDS: YODA
    STAR WARS LEGENDS: OBI WAN

etc.

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Then you must be pissed off already since the OT titles didn't have the Episodes in them.

24. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I would say that it was a valid concern until Lucasfilm confirmed it. Sure, it was more than likely to show up, but if Abrams had somehow wanted to drop the episode number from the crawl, Disney probably wouldn't have let him.

However, that would have never happened. I think Abrams is a little indifferent on the PT but the episode number thing in the crawl was actually kind of important to the OT as well, although more from a "universe" standpoint and not from the meaning/marketing extent it was for the PT. From what I've heard from older SW fans, the later episode numbers always made you feel like you were watching the middle of an old-fashioned tv serial and it gave a sense of history and expansiveness to the SW universe even though the PT and the EU weren't even around then. It was a small but important detail not for the movies themselves but more as an indication that "there's more to SW than just these 2 (later 3) movies", and I think JJ would keep that no matter what.

25. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012
    The only "Backlash" has been internally from our main fanbase. The General Audience doesn't really care. All they need to see is "STAR WARS" and that will be enough.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.