main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will John Williams cheat on the Star Wars theme again?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by budspencer, Mar 18, 2013.

1. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    Ok like a gazillion people have heard the Star Wars theme a gazillion time.... but did you listen carefully?

The main theme as changed over time. I mean the main portion, not the fluff that opens up the set up scene. I mean the crawl music.

After years of listening to the music i finally noticed a big difference out of the blue....

In ANH Williams used big bombastic drums to give that tempo beat to the opening i do not know the exact name of these drums but you probably know what i mean. But in ESB he cheated. I dont know if these guys were on strike at the time of the recording but he used marching band drums...the big drums are still there but they are buried by those marching drums.

I was like woah....that cant be right....if you crank out the sound and listen to at least these 2 intros you will hear a big difference now.

Personally i like the ANH intro better because it has ton of musical weight over the ESB intro.

ROTJ those big bad awesome drums were back on again!

Prequel:
    TPM:

Marching band drums are back on again!

AOTC

Marching drums again.

ROTS

marching band drums and those big drums are almost equal.... :)

Please John do it like you did in ANH. :)

DarthMak likes this.
  2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's the magic of John Williams' music. Each 'Main Title' recorded for each Star Wars film is notably different. The big, bombastic drums you refer to are called the timpani and while they are present in all the recordings (they are way more prominent in the recording for ROTJ, even moreso than ANH), you are correct in that different intonation was used for each film. Different instrumentation was also used throughout as well. I'm not sure about the PT, but I reached a point where I can easily identify each OT film by listening to the Main Title alone.

If this really interests you, there's something really neat you can check out on the original 2-disc soundtrack for Star Wars Special Edition. After the bonus track of the alternate take of Binary Sunset on the first disc, don't turn it off right away. The disc will continue to play until around the five minute mark, at which point, several takes of the original Main Title theme will play from the original recording session. From this sampling, you can see exactly what I'm talking about concerning different instrumentation, intonation, etc. It's really amazing how different they sound.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I am pretty sure they used the crawl music recorded for TPM for the other two prequels. I dont believe the recorded it again for AOTC and ROTS, but I could be wrong.

4. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    yeah, he reused the TPM recording for the AOTC and ROTS opening crawls. i understand why it was done, but i think creatively it would have been more interesting to give each prequel crawl a slight variation. i think he also used the same method for the iris out end credits fanfare, but don't even get me started on those.

anyway, i'm hoping for a new recording for the E7 crawl that matches the timpani- and brass-heavy grandeur of the ANH opening, something that truly declares star wars is back.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I never noticed that it was the same. Oh well.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL, nothing wrong with the theme being different!

7. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The marching drums are there in ESB and the PT because the Empire or Palpatine (who creates the Empire) 'win' those movies. It represents the Empires gigantic army, crushing anything in their path. The good guys win in ANH and ROTJ so no marching drums.

Ryus and Rogue_1138 like this.
  8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    One doesn't simply question JW's creative genius. His scores for the prequels were beyond words.

9. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  11. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    How is making variations on a theme "cheating"? I don't get it.

Darthchrontis likes this.
  12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

[​IMG]

13. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The CD of Star Wars saga music in my car has the ANH theme on it for a reason. The "boomboomboomboom" drums get to me every time. I thought I was the only one alone on this. It really gets me fired up when I'm watching ANH.

14. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I never noticed that really, I'll have to re-listen next time!

For me, as long as that music is there and John Williams is involved, I'll be happy!

15. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    you're assuming he is actually composing Episode VII...

16. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Oh hush.

Despite John Williams composing so many themes before and after Star Wars, he will never cheat on his one true beloved. John Williams and The Star Wars Theme's love is eternal.

There were accusations of cheating before; I think he and music from Fiddler on the Roof had a brief fling, but The Star Wars Theme Song didn't accuse John Williams of cheating on her.

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    He very likely is, as he's come out and announced his interest in returning. He'll at least write the score.

18. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Hmmm...difficult to see...always in motion the future is...Micheal Giacchino prefers does Abrams

19. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Perhaps this is blasphemy, BUT...John Williams is not the composer he used to be. The music for the Prequels was weak compared to the OT and his other classic 70s and 80s stuff

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  20. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah I'd go with that. But the music in the PT was the LEAST of my worries frankly where their concerned.

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  21. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    It will have more cowbell.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I couldn't disagree more. The music for the prequels was possibly the single best thing about them.

Rogue_1138 and TheMasterOfSoresu like this.
  23. RebelBird631

RebelBird631 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2013
    lol...i dont quite see how this is "cheating"

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The "boom boom boom boom" drums are timpani-or they may be a combination of Timpani and bass drums. I did notice what you were saying, although I believe it is a subtle difference. Good ear! I kind of like the fact that such tiny subtle differences are there- it almost gives the episode its own flavor...

but the other thing to keep in mind is that other Things may affect how clearly certain percussion instruments come through: it could be there, but the microphones that recorded that particular instrument or instruments were simply mixed too low or muted completely. I would imagine he may have even recorded them all the same, but during the editing and mixing process, something might've been left out-Especially if there was somebody else mixing it other than himself. That can often happen. Especially with things that were recorded On analog equipment before the digital age, like these were.

But being a percussionist myself, I must agree that I preferred the timpani sound Over the concert snare version-it being my favorite Orchestral percussion instrument Which I Always preferred playing myself...it gave the score so much more power in that section!

Rogue_1138 likes this.
  25. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Right, I believe what I said was "compared to the OT and his classic 70s/80s movie scores, the music for the prequels was weak". Unless you think the love theme from Clones struck more of a chord with people than Han and Leia's theme from Empire? The Trade Federation theme/battle droids theme from Menace was better than The Imperial March? Not even close. I think his time came and went as a relevant composer. Comparing the musical motifs/themes of the Sequels to the Prequels, the Prequels come out sounding weak. I was making no comment on what was the best or worst part of the Prequels.[/quote]