main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will JW reuse the ROTJ:SE celebration music?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by IronParrot, Jun 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Will we see a return of that music, thematically or otherwise, in the scores to Episodes II and III?

It would probably tie the SEs into the grand scheme of things a little better. I'm still used to Yub-Yub, you see...

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I love "Victory Celebration", but I don't see how it could possibly fit in the remaining prequels.

3. Carbonite

Carbonite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2001
    The excellent Victory Celebration piece is a variation of the Luke and Leia theme from 'Return of the Jedi', like the celebration from 'Phantom Menace' is a variation of the Emperor's theme. So perhaps when Luke and Leia arrive in the prequels we may hear it.

4. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I think that the ROTJ:SE celebration music sounds very similar to Shmi's motif. Is it the same? Hmmm....

I doubt there'll be anymore celebration music between now and the end of Episode III... ;)

...I'm spoilerfied...

5. paraquem

paraquem Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    The ROTJ SE victory celebration music is already found in TPM, so it would seem almost certain that it will re-appear in Ep's 2&3. You'll find a brief quote of the celebration theme on TPM's Ultimate Edition in the track "The Racer Roars To Life" (disc 1, track 27.

If and when this theme is used in the next two episodes, it would probably best serve as a motif for the grand moments in Anakin's life - it would be relevant to his (and by extension, the Republic's) destiny, I think.

As it stands at the moment, we have this glimpse of it in TPM, at the moment when it all begins - Anakin brings his racer to life; he's on course to win his freedom and journey into the heart of the Republic (changing it's course forever). In ROTJ it marks the fulfillment of the "Son of the Sons" destiny.

It think there's a good chance Williams will quote from it again in the next 2 Episodes.

6. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I hope it doesn't pop up. It's too light-hearted for the next two films(which are going to be DARK).

7. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Grand Admiral Reese - light hearted? I have to disagree with you there. Also, remember that if Williams chooses to employ this theme again, it will be arranged in context with the visuals and story - so if the films are as dark as we expect, the themes are going to support that. Personally, i'll be very disappointed if this theme doesn't rear it's head in Ep's 2&3.

8. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    paraquem, I knew it! I knew I had heard that music in "The Racer Roars to Life" somewhere before, and that is it! But the thing is, I think it is also a piece of Shmi's motif.

9. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu - I hadn't spotted it's use for Shmi. I'll give the cd's another listen for that. If that's the case, it gives even more resonance to it's appearance at the end of the entire saga, and we'd really want to hear it used again in Ep's 2&3.

10. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    paraquem, listen to the scene where Anakin is packing up his things. TPM, UE, Track 2: 2:59 ~ 3:27. I believe this is SHmi's motif, and part of this is heard at the beginning of "The Racer Roars to Life" at :00 to :08

11. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu, i've had a listen to that part on the 2nd disc as you pointed out - it does sound like a variation on the opening few seconds of "The Racer Roars To Life" to me also.

Incidentally, didn't the part of "The Racer..." track in question get used in Shmi's tone poem? (I may be wrong here, as i've only seen it once, and the old memory's a bit foggy).

I can't help wondering now what moments this theme will have underscored through the films by the time it makes it's final appearance at the end of ROTJ.

12. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    I can't remember about Shmi's tone poem either. I don't think the official site still has those, but they will be on TPM DVD!

13. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    "Shmi's Theme" and "Victory Celebration" have some similarities, but I don't think Williams intended it as a variation of it. "Shmi's Theme" is sad, while "Victory Celebration" is much more celebratory in tone.

BTW, if I recall correctly, Shmi's tone poem used "The Force Theme". Qui-Gon's tone poem was the one that used "Shmi's Theme".

14. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    All of the tone poems are on the official site

15. DARTH-CKy

DARTH-CKy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2001
    john william loves to take stuff he's written for a movie and expand upon it for the sequel. case in point: in star wars, when han and luke and chewie are heading to the detention area, as they head toward the lifts, you can hear the beginnings of the imperial march. very hard to hear, but i caught it on the ST (some really old version, perhaps the original release on CD...it was 2 discs). so i'm sure you will hear some resonance of earlier themes, and i doubt we've heard the last of duel of the fates.

16. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    The ESB romantic theme was a full-fledged development of the Leia theme from ANH...

17. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    DarthCky, I thought I was the only one who noticed hints of the Imperial march in that scene in ANH!

18. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Isn't Shmi's theme also heard in track 25 CD1 on the TPM ultimate edition? Right after the force theme?

I think it is possible that the victory celebration will be reused. I would like to hear it in epIII, probably near the end.

19. DARTH-CKy

DARTH-CKy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2001
    Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu, it really caught me off guard the first time, but it seems really cool. i wonder if williams had the imperial march already written (on paper or in his head), and he just wanted to drop a couple of hints into ANH, or maybe he heard that and decided to expand upon it. whatever it was, i'm glad for the imperial march, it's just so...so...so powerful, i guess.

20. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    emilsson, I'll have to listen for that and get back to you. I don't have my CD handy right now.

Darth-CKy, it may be just a pure coincidence. But my guess is that Williams, who uses things he hears as inspiration, liked this on playback in the film and used this piece over as notes in the Imperial March.

21. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Considering that Shmi is in that scene and talking about Anakin with Qui-Gon it seems logical to use her theme there.

I always assumed that the Imperial March was written for ESB to show Vader's role. I mean it is Vader's theme also, not just the empire.

22. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    emilsson, I think you're right about a piece of Shmi's motif being there.

I don't think Williams began Vader's theme/Imperial March in ANH, but I think he got the idea from that piece of music in ANH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.