main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

will lucas learn from criticism of ep1 and 2?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Ezekial, Jun 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    I have a feeling that if the Boba Fett cult never happened, there would be no character remeniscent of him in AOTC.

I totally agree with you there. Bobba's 'popularity' definetley influenced his inclusion to AOTC. However, Lucas did say that regardless, he needed a bounty-hunter character anyways, and since Bobba was well known and liked, he decided to use him and create his 'father' Jango Fett.

If his films are bombs, meaning the audience doesn't connect and go to a theatre, then he doesn't have the money to make any more movies. Therefore pleasing an audience is quite important to his artistic vision.

Yes, but I think in this case pleasing the general audience could be #2 on his priority list. Sure, that was a totally different story in '77 when he was praying that the audience would be receptive to SW, but it seems to me that he is more intrested in telling the story his way and not worrying about critics or irrate fans.

And he's said that there is no more SW after this. So, if the PT totally stinks, well, as far as he should be concerned, so what. It's finished anyways.

I agree, that Lucas is a businessman, and a pretty good one at that, but I think in the back of his head, he knows that these films will make money, whether people like them or not. So instead of worrying about audience reaction like he did in '77, now he's more concerned about doing it 'his' way.

2. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    If George had listened to bashers Jar Jar wouldn't have even been in the movie at all.

3. tabbafett

tabbafett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2001
    I thought Jar Jar had one of the most signifigant parts in AOTC, and has now give reason for episodes III, IV, V, and VI. Jar Jar was introduced as a clutz. He wants to help, and his intentions are good, he is well.. botch-proned. So there sits Jar Jar, seeing his friends and others in pain, and in comes his good intentions. He is coaxed into giving palpatine imediate powers to create the clone army. The Storm Troopers. Palpatine's iron fist.

On another note. When did movies have to stop being fun and start being critisized. Critisizm is still opinon based. It's a story, let the man tell it. Remember when your parents were reading to you goldilox and the three bears. Were you interested in dialouge, or special effects? I know i wasn't. I remember not being able to wait to find out what happened to that little brat goldilox when the bears finally came home.

4. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Movies stopped being fun and started being criticized at about the same instant quantum particles of light reflected off of a screen and into a person's eye.

5. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    MadMardigan:

Yes, I'm sure Lucas is worried about where his next meal is coming from. The guy's worth some 3 billion dollars according to Forbes, and that's before CLONES which will gross close to 1 billion worldwide and that's not including the ancilliary profits. I don't think Lucas is worried about who's paying for lunch.

To my knowledge, these are the only facts I know about Jar Jar according to Lucas:

In the MENACE DVD doc, he says, "Jar Jar is the key". Yet, what he's saying is, if the effects team can make Jar Jar work as a living breathing character (which, even if you hate the guy, you have to admit it did), then the technological breakthrough will be had.

Lucas said Jar Jar was going to play a major role in the prequels. He does: He gives Palp the whatchamightcallit to start an army. Major role doesn't equate screen time (remember, Janet Leigh is in PSYCHO for 40 mins. but she plays a "major role"). So, if Lucas heard the criticism and decided to tone it down, then so what? Should the NY TIMES get credit for that? Should you, Mad Mardigan? Maybe it was just Lucas's decision after viewing MENACE from a distance that he figured out what worked and what didn't; or maybe a friend or associate told him so. Who knows? I'm just sick of fanboys thinking they have the final word over a filmmaker who's spent his entire career defining "independence" in a business made up of corporate slaves. I repeat: YOU'RE NOT AS IMPORTANT AS YOU THINK YOU ARE.

6. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    Movies stopped being fun and started being criticized at about the same instant quantum particles of light reflected off of a screen and into a person's eye.

I have to disagree with you there, MadMardigan. I'm sure with the first silent pictures, the audience wasn't busy picking apart the film. They were too busy being absolutley amazed and astounded at seing moving pictures in front of their eyes. ;)

7. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't claim as an individual to have any influence over Lucas. Why? Because I don't. But as a collective, ie fans, media, associates, critics, friends and family, exert an influence over Lucas. Maybe he did just step back and say, "whoa...wasn't such a great idea." But it doesn't seem like that since Lucas was so enthralled with Jar Jar in both the commentaries and the docu. Will we ever know the truth? No probably not. But the track record is there nonetheless. Lucas seemed to take on all the critiscms head on. Was he successful? Not completely. But many of PM's problems were no where to be seen in AOTC.

8. MadMardigan

Nov 8, 2001
    the nink-

You are right. However that's still called critiscm. They were casting their judgement on what they were seeing. Critiscm isn't by definition negative. If you walk outside and say, "Oh what a beautiful day!" You are in fact criticizing the day. Just positively. Critiscm has only picked up a negative connotation not because of what is it but because most people don't like critics.

9. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001
    Umm.... No. I agree with the person who says Lucas doesn't care people like Ezekial exists. He knows there are people out there who take his work entirely too seriously. Personally, I think that the people who don't like the prequels are the people who dont realize what Star Wars is. A movie for kids/young adults. Take the ewoks, I was 6 when I saw ROTJ, and the ewoks rocked. Now, they have a nastalgic (sp?) quality, but I find it hard to believe fury midgets overthrew the empire. Kids LOVE Jar Jar. Critics who want Silence of the Lambs or American Beauty often forget who these movies are really made for.

I'm not taking the stance that Lucas is an "impassioned artist" who doesn't listen to critics, but look at it this way: Lucas doesn't need to make the PT. It's not like he said "I'm only worth 2 billion, I need some more money." His great grandchildren's great grandchildren will be rich. He made the PT as a thanks to all the loyal fans who gave him what he has - And its a "take it" or "leave it" offer.

10. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I think a possible reason why AOTC is not doing as well as TPM is lack of screen time for Jar Jar. Whether we like him or not, Jar Jar appeals to kids. I think this may explain why I have not seen as many kids during my viewings of AOTC (I only go to matinees on weekends).

BTW, I liked how Jar Jar was used in AOTC. For me this character works when he is not in situations of forced humor that I saw in TPM.

11. Bresson

May 16, 2002
    The best way to silence critics is to make a better movie. With CLONES, mission accomplished.

12. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    Critiscm has only picked up a negative connotation not because of what is it but because most people don't like critics.

Agreed! :)

13. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    cable1996 I agree with you. Sometime I think some of us ans lose sight of the fact that he is making the PT as thanks for our loyalty and because he has always wanted to do it.
    In this day and age its so easy to say "oh he's just trying earn alot of money" but Lucas isn't that way, sure he has companies that need to make profit but his saga isn't about money. Its a vision, a story which will no doubt live on from generation to generation.
    Lucas isn't making these movies to be a money making machine, he's doing them to fulfill the ambition and vision he wrote years ago.

14. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Thank you for beating me to it :)

If you dont like episode 1 or 2...dont see episode 3....do yourself a favour. I guarantee you wont like it. It builds off things established in 2 movies you DONT LIKE.

For example...I personally didnt like LOTR..I dont care what happens in the rest of them, and thus I will not see the other 2. Simple as that. I will not waste my time. I still dont get it how some bashers continue to watch things or discuss things they dont like. You people really need to get a life. You dont see me on the LOTR forum blasting the movie. It's because I dont care, I dont thrive on negativity. It puzzles me to understand why you CARE so much that someone liked AOTC, or liked CGI, or thought the acting was good. If you hate the PT so much, THEN DONT SEE IT! dont start threads why the movies are awful...dont waste your time. Not many care if you dont like the movie, because the extent of your discussion with people who do is: "AOTC SUCKS" - "well i thought it was great" - "the acting sucks, lucas cant direct blah blah blah, I'm a big loser"

seriously, go chill on the OT forum if thats all you like. Its just a few clicks away. YOU WILL BE IN HEAVEN, cause alot of people bash the PT there.

15. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    I agree with you JBFETT.

I fail to understand what makes those people who hated Ep1 and Ep2 think that Ep3 is going to 'do it for them'. It's not! Face it, quit bashing it. You don't like it, fine! It's your right not to like it! But quit bashing every little detail! I'm getting sick of reading threads with titles like: "The music arrangment in AOTC was horrible!". The music arrangement!?! What the hell's next: "The colors in AOTC were too bright, I didn't like 'em, what do you think?"

Give me a break people, you're hurtin' my eyes with this trash! :(

16. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    jar jar was canned due to fan protest. that much is obvious. do you guys have any idea how tough it was to make jar jar? a cgi character like that must have been very very expensive to make, maybe in the millions. and he gives palp power... so what? if he didnt another senator would have. I still say he was canned due to overwhelming negative fan feedback.

17. thenink

Mar 19, 2002
    We will never know, one way or the other.

However, I vote: HE WASN'T!! :D

18. Bresson

May 16, 2002
    JBFett:

Perfectly said. I hated LOTR, too, and haven't even had an urge to discuss it on any boards. Why? I got better things to do. So it fascinates me that so many people who disliked the PT would spend so much of their time talking about it...and seeing it more than once. You'll never catch me doing that with a movie I didn't like. I just move on.

19. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001
    Thanx for the backup JBFett, and Darth Terrious

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.