main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Lucas venture into R rated films?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Gobi-1, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    After Star Wars what kind of films will George make? None of his films have ever received an R rating, most of them can be viewed by the whole family, except for THX-1138. Since THX Lucas hasn't made films gear towards an adult audience only.

Could you see Lucas making a film like Eyes Wide Shut? I can't. I could see him making a R rated Saving Private Ryan like film that's realistic and does not shy away from the horrors of war. I just hope Lucas doesn't make a lot of dark films for muture audiences. I want to see him make more films that families can see together.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I just hope he makes whatver films he likes to make family oriented or not.

He may have only directed one "adult" film (THX) as you said but he certainly has produced and helped many more mature films like Body Heat and Mishima.

Although I don't think he ever will again. He seems to have softened up too much with his kids now.

3. JediHotRod

JediHotRod Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2004
    As much as I'm hoping Lucas makes Episodes 7,8, and 9, I think he won't and will venture into R rated films. :( I think it's possible he could make explicit sci-fi films.

4. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    It could very well happen.
    Maybe a War movie would be nice for Lucas to make.
    Maybe one about World War One or the Cold War.

5. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I think he's gonna concentrate on
    animated family films like Pixar
    is doing.

6. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    You'd think if he was to make one at all, TOD would have been R-rated. IMO it's pretty strong for just a PG.

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm pretty sure Lucas at one point was thinking of making a war film called Red Tails about the Tuskegee Airmen. I've heard rumors this was a cover up for the SW SEs but I also found at one point Lucas hired a veteran or war expert, to elaborate for a cover up.

I think we'll probably see him exec. produing animated films like DarthKarma said, now that Lucasfilm Animation is ramping up. Hopefully Imageworks will have luch pushing the animation boundary out of the kiddy range in North America.

8. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    When it comes to violence in his movies he might go quite far, but when I se how far he can go with a PG in Star Wars I doubt he'll ever need to ake a R rated movie to show his vision.

(I doubt George will push any other content much further than he has to this day, I'm thnking mainly about sexual content.)

9. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Nah, he's always been a man of 'family value', and I am most assured he will not venture into that area of a higher rating for one film ;) :D .

10. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Adults are part of the family as well. I'm sure Lucas has some ideas that aren't kid friendly.

11. bombadjedi

bombadjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2004
    Emos-Edud...

The nude scene in Radioland Murders wasn't kid-friendly :)

12. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Well Lucas didn;t direct the film and even though it's PG Radioland Murders isn't aimed at kids.

13. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    And rightfully so. PG doesn't mean a movie is for kids. Try watching the 70s version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with a kid. Or see if you can dig up the unknown classic "Let's Scare Jessica to Death." Great PG movies for adults.

14. captveg

captveg Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2001
    THX-1138 just received a re-rating to R.

15. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Really? I haven't seen it, but I didn't have the impression it was worthy of an R-rating.

16. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I've justed checked the IMDb and it said, MPAA: Rated R for some sexuality/nudity. (2004 director's cut)

Now they have most of their infomation sent in by the general public but I would say that it's true.

17. captveg

captveg Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2001
    The THX-1138 2-Disc SE DVD comes out 9/21/04 from Warner and is indeed rated R. It also 1) has had the few scenes restored that Warner made Lucas cut in 1971 because of length, 2) has had a few digital upgrades, the only one I know 100% is the adding of more people walking in some of the crowd shots, and 3) it has received a digital restoration for the DVD transfer from Lowry Digital Images.

It will also have Lucas' original THX student film on the DVD.

18. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    That sounds cool. Lucas may very well make a 'R' rated movie in the future; he's said he'd like to make a movie like Black Hawk Down. So any movie with war violence on that level would definately get a 'R'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.