main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke be too trusting and naive, or too careful and controlling?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    True, but I just think it's a bit of a false choice to have to choose between those extremes; I think the reality will be somewhere in between. I actually like a lot of what JediMatteus is saying above this post.

2. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Neither. Not only is his beard contractually required...everyone knows that a beard knows all and is all. Luke will clearly spell out what a jedi is and isnt. He will tbe the light in the ST darkness. We will be proud of him.

well i hope ...but however it goes...he still rules.

Trebor Sabreon and Sarge like this.
  3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    you can make a character interesting without major character flaws. Just find powerful people with different values, motives, and vision to pit against Luke. and his lack of knowledge about the Jedi of old can be used as a weakness as well. Also he has been out of touch. being seen as an out of touch hermit early can cause tension

4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Oh there will be more Jedi if Disney's Money Vault has something to say.

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I think we've ran out of thread ideas.

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Not so, he was on Dagobah for quite some time and he and Yoda would have spoken a lot.

Plus, in ROtJ, he has advanced quite a bit on his own - he is more powerful since Bespin. - that didn't come out of nowhere.

That is a rumour I don't believe - unless it is because he has been grieving a loved for a couple of years, Luke wouldn't hide himself away while the apropos of the GFFA needed him.

Plus, story wise if a guy as imaginative and talented as Abrams would ape ANH to that level the franchise is on a downward spiral.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I wonder if Luke will lie to someone and use the point of view excuse Kenobi did.:p

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    C. None of the Above

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    He was not on dagaboh long at all, and Yoda did not hand him a history books of how to train Jedi or the customs and lighstaber and force techniques of the jedi. Luke had little to go on, all Yoda did was train Luke to be a weapon, and to resist the dark side

10. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    You should quote or tag so the person you are commenting actually knows you've posted - only saw this by accident.;)

According to Pablo Hidalgo, it took at least a month for the Falcon to reach Cloud City from Hoth.

Plenty of time for conversation a on Dagobah about Jedi lessons.

Plus, Yoda said Luke knows what he needs.

11. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    His biggest flaw is that he's clumsy, and for that reason, he's been banished for the past 30 years. You see, it rhymes with episode 1. It's like poetry.
    (and you know the rumors about his severed hand flying through space at the start of the film? It's the result of his clumsiness, I tell you.)

Panakas_Dawg and Sarge like this.
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think this is a good question. And I think Luke would have to be careful and keep his pupils away from any outside interferences. Considering that he doesn't have the traditional training as his predecessors had, maybe this will be a good thing, and something that Luke will consciously try to instill in the new order — a Jedi order on a secluded world perhaps, where there are no influences and politics to distract his students. Maybe Luke, like Ben had waited when the Rebels came calling, will start off with a select few until the time is ready, which is the events that occur in Episode VII.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Seems like the answer is:

Dra--- likes this.
  14. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    the more I hear the more I want bat**** Scary Crazy Luke.

15. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Luke will make mistakes he lost his wife trusted Jacen with Ben lost Coruscant before off coursing getting it back etc.......

16. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I want to see a stuffy, uptight Luke who learns to loosen up and have fun once his hip and cool son-in-law teaches him the joys of dancing and freestyle.

Sarge and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Good for you Ghost, looks like you chose the correct fatal flaw for Luke in 7. He grows too powerful and then becomes too careful, abandoning the scene of galactic conflict in order to control his power.

Although you have to wonder what other choice he would have in such a situation. Being Luke, and not wanting to hurt innocents, of course he tries to isolate himself. But it seems this isolation may lead to him losing control rather than gaining, or perhaps even opening himself of to the influence of the darkside (Plagueis).

If Luke really does isolate himself for these reasons, were there any other options available to him?

He suddenly finds himself too powerful -- what do you do? Seems like the very nature of the Force may shift, and Luke hasn't been prepared by his mentors for it. It's difficult to imagine what else he could do...

starocean90 likes this.
  18. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Obi Wan was Luke's main mentor so I guess he will be much more like him, but in the same time Luke had the warm soul Obi-Wan never had.
    Ben and Yoda wanted Luke to finish Vader while he had his own plans to bring him back to the light side. Luke's biggest assets were his kindness and his golden heart.
    Luke would've thrown away his lightsaber if a bunch of kittens were being taken as hostages by Sheev, while Obi Wan or Mace Windu would've go on and called it 'war casualties'.

So in a nutshell, I don't think he'll be naive or controlling. I think he just passed that point. I think he'll hace to face (again) the conflict of choosing between what he loves and what must be done for the greater good.

Sarge and Luke02 like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This is my last time saying this they will not use EU characters.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I see Luke as being more like Qui-Gon then Obi-Wan and particularly Yoda. He is the last Jedi therefore whatever became before him really doesn't matter since well, they failed as an order. Luke IMO will have a bit of a rebellious streak to him, at least compared to the Jedi Order.

21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

That feels a path they might take for Luke given his and Anakin's histories. He would not want to follow in his father's footsteps. As his powers grow, I could see that making him increasingly cautious and perhaps a bit fearful.

22. JBFett007

JBFett007 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2014
    This ties into my theory of Gwendoline Christie being an early student of Luke's, but I think he will be more controlling in the film. I think that sometime between the OT and ST Luke trained Gwendoline's character, but she eventually ended up having sympathy for the Empire, and joined them. Thus Luke began to train his latest apprentice (Lupita) in a more isolated part of the Galaxy in order to keep her away from the corrupting influence of Galactic Politics.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    all I am happy is that darth Luke is not happening I can't wait to see Luke in any way.

24. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    I have to believe Luke came into possession of some of Yoda's belongings when he left Dagobah for the last time.

25. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I think he will be careful but not too controlling. The old Order was flawed. I see him actually being wiser than the previous Jedi but cautious because his powers have become so great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.