main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke die?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Thom Skywalker, Feb 7, 2015.

?

What about Luke?

1. He will die in Episode 7 (the first part of the trilogy)

11.3%
  2. He will die in Episode 8 or 9 (the writers have other plans for him)

59.2%
  3. He will survive the ST

29.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I hope Luke goes out fighting a Sith army lol.

2. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    It diverges a lot from the hero's journey...
    I mean: Luke is so experient and so powerful... It is silly to tell a history about a Master...
    The people want to fear for the hero's life....

The Luke's usage must follow the "old and wise, who calls the hero to the adventure", or he could become the villain....
    He would be either the Gandalf or the Saruman...

3. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    I wouldn't mind them killing off one or more of the big three in TFA and then shifting the focus completely onto the new cast for the rest of the films.

And of course there's always coming back as a force ghost..

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    killing more than 1 of the big 3 in the first movie would be a little bit too much. And coming back as a force ghost (which would probably only be possible for Luke and with a rare possibility for Leia, if she trained enough) does not really count, because what can force ghosts do, who are not really related/connected to the new protagonists? [face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  5. captainkenbo

Dec 21, 2014
    Well I think Luke (or Leia) likely would have some connection with at least one of the main protagonists. He could do what Ben and Yoda did and maybe give guidance or something to them.

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

He can do this without dying like a Yoda teacher. I think it is enough when Han dies in the movie. But taking 2 or even 3 of the big 3 out in the first movie of the new trilogy is really too much and I canot imagine that they would do it. ;)

starocean90 likes this.
  7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i kind of wish he would die of old age like Yoda

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i know Hamil cant do the role forever, but after this series, you could always go into animated films with Luke.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  9. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Agreed. I think the Big 3 need to be the wise archetypes of this series, not characters that have an arc.

10. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Luke could have some big hero moment without keeping all the heroism to himself... they'd be perfectly able to give Rey, Finn, Poe, etc their own moments too. Silly as it may have been, Yoda busting out the saber and whooping on Dooku was supposed to be a big audience-cheer moment (instead of a big laugh)... and I still love Yoda shifting his robe and calling the saber to his hand. He had a more successful badass, cheer-inspiring moment when confronting Sidious in ROTS, and Luke can easily have something similar here, whether against Kylo or Uber or even against some pesky Imps. And, like Yoda, he can have similar moments in successive films, too, without dying, and without hogging the spotlight. After following Luke for 3 solid films, cheering him on in ANH and feeling his pain in ESB and then cheering again during the Battle of Carkoon and, finally, on the edge of our seats watching him face his father again...it'll feel so nice to see Luke kick some ass as a Jedi Master instead of a mere Padawan. "Adventure...heh...excitement...heh...a Jedi craves not these things"...but audiences do! :)

11. captainkenbo

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah I would prefer them not to kill off any of them but I think they kinda need to... I'd rather it be Luke though since I like Han too much :p

12. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    Anyone else think Hamill may voice other characters?

13. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Luke lives for at least two and a half movies, I believe.

14. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    If Han is the one dying, which is strongly implied to be the case at this point, I can't see them killing off Luke as well. Not just yet, anyway. It would be too much. Luke dying in either of the following two films seems more plausible. If they want the middle act to be the heroes darkest hour, it would work well there. He could always reappear as a force ghost in episode nine then.

15. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Hamill is still relatively young-ish too in his early 60s. Ditto for Carrie Fisher.

He can do another 1-2 films after this one. Harrison Ford was probably pushing it being 10 years older.

The other thing is while Luke is in this movie, it's probably not "real Luke" for the majority of it. When they find him he's "crazy Luke" for a while and probably only snaps out of it right at the end of the film.

So Episode VIII is where we'll get to see more of Luke proper. Episode VII is more of Han's movie from the OT side.

16. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Hamil is in his early 60's but Luke is only like 52.

nightangel likes this.
  17. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Odd way to phrase it. You've read Episodes VIII and IX, then? :p

18. Aiden Skywalker

Aiden Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Can't die if he's not even IN THE MOVIE!!!

LionHeartV1 and nightangel like this.
  19. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Probably will die in VIII, like Yoda died in V (not of old age like yoda, probably in a fight with Ren or someone).

20. Aiden Skywalker

Aiden Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Yoda died in VI

21. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    I can't predict what JJ will decide for Luke's fate, but following the pattern of the OT, probably one of the Big3 will die in TFA, and the others follow in later episodes.

I think it would make more sense for Han to die in Episode 7. Out of the Big 3, he is the one character with no real role to go on. In the OT he was the selfish smuggler learning to be more selfless & care about Greater Good conflicts. I feel his involvement with the Rebellion, with him being a General in ROTJ was the end of his arc. He's pretty much guaranteed to be a fighter of some kind in the ST and go out with a 'bang' true to his character.

Luke and Leia are the ones we really need to see in action in TFA for the sake of their development. Although Luke was seen at his 'knight stage' in ROTJ where he learned lessons of forgiveness and self-control, we have yet to see him lead the new Jedi Order and passing on his knowledge. Because of that(and because I really don't want two Big 3 characters die in TFA) I feel he should only exit later on, like in late Episode 8 or beginning of 9. Staying enough so we see him leading the order and training Padawans but being gone by Episode 9 so we see the new Big 3 take charge and following their own journeys.

Leia out of the three is the one I really feel hasn't had much of an arc yet, and the potential for her continued journey is greater because of her Force-Sensitivity and political past. There are many ways to use her in the new political conflict, and it was implied she was to learn of the force in ROTJ. She is the only one out of the three I could justify surviving the whole ST without the conflict focusing too much on her at the expense of the newbies. Perhaps she will be the only of the trio to survive...

That being said I have a feeling Luke will either die à la Obi-Wan in the ST being the mentor that introduces leads to their destinies or die à la Yoda in the start of 9 to leave the leads without any mentors left.

Team Padme likes this.
  22. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Rey accidentally knocks him off a cliff at the end of TFA.

23. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Only if Chewie lands the Falcon on his head in the last shot of the movie.

24. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014
    No, Luke is new Yoda! (I hope) he'll be in as long as Hamill feels fit. If he lives long enough he'll make cameos, one or two decades from now, like Leonard Nimoy in S-word T-word.

Besides, I think Hamill likes the role (his defining role), and not that he has other blockbuster-projects lined up.

Finally, he is such an asset, franchise wise, it makes sense they don't overuse his character right now, as he's in for a long haul.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  25. Lord Crevil

Lord Crevil Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2015
    I personally think keeping Luke as the Grand Master Jedi (Yoda) role until his death would be very essential going forward, but I obviously knew Han Solo would be killed off during VII, since he even said the only way he would return is if he was killed off, so killing off Luke as well would be a bit too much for one movie. However, turning Luke to the dark side and having him become the new Dark Lord of the Sith would be VERY interesting, i know 90% of fans including me would be furious with this decision, but it would fill a very large hole that Sidious and Vader left as Sith Lords.. what im about to say next, i know this would never work in the SW universe nor should it and damn me to Sith hell for even mentioning this.. but imagine if Luke had been in exile for so long and became so crazed and maniacal he turns to the dark side but has that joker laugh come out from time to time, like how yoda has his crazy hermit laugh... but it would look awkward coming out of Hamill as Luke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.