main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke Have A Child? If So, Where's Mom?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    nope....Boyega was signed 2 weeks before the official casting announcement....while Driver and Ridley were locked a few months before the casting announcement...

For me...it's the official billing.....since it's the one that was released by the official website of the production......you can argue about a lof ot things...but until starwas.com releases another billing.........the one used the day of the casting announcement should be the official one....not Variety, not comingsoon.net.....starwars.com

2. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

I agree with this, and I'll add that for all the importance the saga has placed on the Skywalker twins, it's Luke who's consumed most of the spotlight. I'd be interested in seeing the other twin getting more story this go-around, if only through her offspring.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    fair enough. Boyega was rumored longer than Driver or Ridley and was in the audition process longer than either. You think that "The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII." is the same as a billing order. Awesome. STID cast announcement wasn't. TPM cast announcement wasn't. and many others aren't, but feel free to read it however you like. We'll see in the future. But to be completely clear, it announced the cast, not the billing order. It is a list of actors in the movie, just as the release says it is.

Getting back to topic, backstory can be added to Luke and his wife's relationship through a few bits of dialogue and by acting, whether she's alive (as I hope) or whether she has passed away.

Take Carol and David Marcus from STII:WoK. Carol wasn't in the OS or ST:TMP, yet there she was in WoK with Kirk's kid. A few bits of dialogue cleared that up pretty quick. WoK is usually considered the best ST movie, so the mother and kid out of the blue didn't hurt the movie.

If Luke's wife is still alive and they share scenes together, it's pretty easy to believe the 23 year old galactic savior we last saw on Endor found a wife in the intervening 35 years.

That's a fair opinion, but why would that preclude Luke from having a family? Even if Leia's kid is the main character of the ST, that shouldn't stop Luke from having a kid.

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Luke May have absolutely no idea about that stupid rule, and even if he did, he may have decided that it WAS a stupid rule and decided to ignore it. Plus, Yoda admitted that the old order had made mistakes. Maybe he decided the no attachment rule was one of those mistakes. After all, it was the love/attachment of the son for/to the father and for the father for/to the son that brought down the Empire.

Plus, if there is still an attachment rule, why would it be okay for Leia to marry and have kids but not Luke?

5. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    The TPM Cast was not announced in one big massive casting annoucenment.....and STID was the sequel of a movie already casted...so I don't understand your point....the only movie that can be compared to EPVII is the Hobbit....since they were all announced at once.

The actor that was the rumoured the longer was Driver...not Boyega...

I'm not saying that it's the offcial billing....since we all know that Ford and Hamill will be mixed with the top 3......what i'm saying is that it should be considered as the closest official billing available....to deny that......is a bit troubling.....starwars.com is the official source of news for the production......if you think that they put all the names ramdomly....its your choice.....but I don't see the point of having Boyega at the top of the food chain if he's not the main lead...... and no....they won't put them in order of who signed first....that's not how this works.....not for a massive announcement like this one.....Max von Sydow is at the end.....if you go random....he's at the top......no matter when, how he signed....he's Max von Sydow....respect

This doesn't mean that another actress could not be announced down the road.......but as we can see...it looks like there's no Luke's love interest on the horizon....she's not needed.........and like a I said numerous times......I would love Luke to have a son.....but it doesn't sound like he does....and i'm okay with that......the important thing for me was to have the Big 3 back.......

6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    If you go random it doesn't matter. Although at the end would be respect. Regardless let's agree to disagree.

really? What about all the talk of the auditions for Luke's son? what about the rumors of focusing on Luke and the Skywalkers over Solos? what about what Zahn said?

There are a lot of rumors floating around that make it sound like Luke has a son.

7. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Zahn can't be trusted....he has no relation with JJ and Kasdan at all....someone at Lucasfilm told him a few things years ago...

The only credible rumours that I've read said the Original 3 were to be given a more prominent role.....not shifting the story from the Solos to the Skywalkers...it was the Big 3 over the children of the big 3.......I would like to read a credible rumour stating that it was the skywalkers over the solos (which is a moot point since the Solos are half Skywalker.).

The audition about Luke's son ? Never heard about that one...yes El Maybe said that about Gosling....but it was years ago....and i'm pretty sure he was speculating.....Nobody in the casting process went for a specific role (Luke's son).....they went for an audition...that's it.....they were not contacted for a specific role...

Go back a few months ago.....I was a big cheerleader of Luke having a son......I was really looking forward to have Plemons playing that role....but I've moved on....

I don't think that JJ wants a Solo and a Skywalker as the main leads....they want to open the SW universe to a whole new set of characters. We might have a Solo in Ridley and it's enough for JJ and Kasdan.

Lucas might have dreamt of a saga about the Skywalker from Episode 1 to Episode 9....but it might not be JJ's dream and I can understand why.

The average moviegoers won't care if it's still about a Skywalker....we do....but the average moviegoers wants a great SW movie .....that's it....and going in another direction....with the backing of the big 3.....gives JJ more freedom.....lots of flexibility.......and while Lucas was Luke......I think that JJ is more Han....that's my opinion....

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Credible rumors, by AL I believe (among others), said Arndt focused on the new gen with the OT3 in support roles and that the Solos were the focus. The rumor further went that JJ/LK/KK wanted the focus for the ST to shift to Luke and the Skywalker line over the Solo line AND that VII would shift focus to have the OT3 up front with the new gen as support.

It wasn't just Gosling, and it wasn't years ago. It also went up through the Plemons/Thomas/Speelers rumored auditions early this year as well.

You're basing this all on what you think JJ wants? What you think is enough for JJ and Kasdan? We've heard rumors of what JJ wants. What JJ threatened to quit over. What JJ fired Arndt over. That was all because JJ wanted the focus on Luke and the Skywalker kid.

Except all accounts point to JJ talking to Lucas on a frequent basis. At one point daily basis. Rumors say it is JJ's dream and that is why he fired Arndt.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  9. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    So basically....all rumours....and nothing credible...we will have to wait and see

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll go with rumors relayed by a credible source over what you THINK JJ wants any day.

11. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    for sure...if it pleases you...on my end....i'm open to everything

look I found Al's quote...

it says nothing about Luke's children.....but more of Luke....since Luke was rumoured to die early in the movie...

But your mind is set.....

AL Chosen One

[​IMG]

Dra--- said:
    Al also said that the Arndt script was good, so it's not an issue of quality, but vision. Arndt's vision was maybe too much of a return to the OT tone (people who read it loved it or consider it a PT apology tour), which suggests JJ wants something more of a PT/OT mix for the ST, or more uniquely ST.​

I heard it was good, yes, but that's not what I meant about the different vision. Arndt's draft apparently was Solo-kids centric, whereas JJ wants a bigger Luke involvement. That is all I've heard (from multiple people). "Return to the OT tone; people who read it loved it; PT apology tour," etc. I don't buy any of this personally, because the people who would have access to the script would simply not give that away. We should expect that sort of detail once production begins and a gaggle of people have access to at least parts of the script. Until then, I would take it all with a grain of salt.​

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That's one. There are others as well as his twitter account

13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I was under the impression that Arndt's script wasn't focused on the OT enough and had the Solo kids as the main drivers of the plot. JJ had other visions and they went with that.

Although at some point, I think it may have been JJ himself who said that the story is ultimately about twins.

What we don't know is if that is (a) true, (b) related to twin offspring or (c) thematically based on Luke/Leia as twins.

14. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    How was TPM and the Star Trek movies cast reveals? Did they go for the same billing than we got on the final credits? Because it would be weird that the OT 3 are billied after the new characters, and it would be incredibly weird if Hamill is billed after Ford and Fisher, I could even understand Ford is now a star and Hamill not that much (even when it was already like this back in the OT days), but Fisher?

There are some weird things about that cast announcement, that's for sure.

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    the short answer is no, they did not match the final billing order. TPM released some upfront, not in order, with Jake being announced a month or so later, after SLJ was announced.

16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree that not everyone needs to have a child, but from where I stand, it's just as important for the family/ancestry angle to be fulfilled by Luke and his potential progeny as it is the Solos.

With the birth of the twins, the Skywalker legacy branched, and it makes absolutely no sense to me that the family should live on only through Leia, while Luke's branch of the family tree withers and dies with him.

As to the Solos themselves, I personally think that they should (and I think that they will), but -- just floating an idea out there -- who says the Solo's must have kids, anyway?

Revanfan1, ChildOfWinds and T-R- like this.
  17. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, but that was a different type of reveal, they did not announce the cast at once.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    but the part they did announce together was not in final order.

Now, now, you know that people are absolutely certain Daisy is a Solo [face_shame_on_you]

Seriously, one of the other rumors, as jedijax points out, is that the ST is ultimately about twins and which will follow in their father's footsteps. Since it doesn't make sense to have that be about who would follow in Han's footsteps, what if Daisy and Domhnall are the twins in question, and are Skywalkers by name? Mark and Carrie are 5 years apart and play twins afterall

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  19. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    the right answer is yes....it matched the billing order when the whole cast was announced....while Jake & Nathalie were confirmed first.

http://coronacomingattractions.com/movie/star-wars-episode-i-phantom-menace?page=1

Tuesday, June 10, 1997
    The first official casting announcement is made. Natalie Portman and Jake Lloyd are confirmed for roles in the first picture.

then the others were announced...different times though...

Thursday, July 31, 1997

Issue #34 of the Star Wars Insider has arrived at the doorsteps of subscribers - and in the mag there's a list of confirmed actors appearing in the first prequel. What's amazing is that Lucasfilm's official SW web site hasn't updated its casting information in weeks...but the Insider is sanctioned by Lucasfilm. Knowing how things have had a habit of moving along slllooowly with regards to Lucasfilm and fan interest, we've decided that if the Insider claims it to be true we'll go along with them. After all, they were dead right with regards to Frank Darabont's absence in said prequel.
    Leaving out the actors already announced by Lucasfilm, the remaining individuals listed include:
    Pernilla August (as Anakin's mother, Shmi), Frank Oz (reprising Yoda's voice), Kenny Baker (reprising R2-D2), Ian McDiarmid (reprising his role as The Emperor). Additional cast members mentioned (but no character names given) were: Samuel L. Jackson, Ahmed Best (scooped earlier by this site), Adrian Dunbar, Terence Stamp (another scoop), Oliver Ford Davies, Ray Park, Jerome Blake, Warwick Davis (which confirms what he was quoted to have said in an earlier CA scoop), Hugh Quarshie, Cin, Khan Bonfils, Alan Ruscoe, Michelle Taylor, Michaela Cottrell, John Fensom, Liz Wilson, Christina Disilva and Silas Carson.
    Also mentioned was that Jabba the Hutt will make a guest appearance (why?) and that we'll see the origin of C-3PO. Proving that technology can't replace good human know-how, Frank Oz will be responsible for the majority of Yoda's on-air time, with any complicated walking scenes being digitally rendered by computer. Producer Rick McCallum also discusses the number of sets that have been constructed as well as future ones.

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Really? It says Jake and Natalie were confirmed first. Pretty sure they were billed behind Liam and Ewan.

And this list:
    does not match the billed version at all: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/

so the right answer is that you are wrong.

Can we please get back to Luke's wife?

21. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm sorry Frank_TJ_Mackey but what you say is not right, mate. Your info confirms Portman was the first announcement, followed by Lloyd. But these actors were not the first ones on the credits, as you will surely know. Liam Neeeson and Ewan McGregor were first billed on the film, followed by Portman and Lloyd. Which made sense as they are the lead roles on the movie, even when the story is about Anakin.

ForgottennJedi1986 and T-R- like this.
  22. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    of course i'm wrong....since it changed after that....Adrien Dunbar is not even in Star Wars....but at the time it was announced....it was the right billing....sanctioned by Lucasfilm.....I still have that SW insider ! I still remember when I got it...

We can go back to Luke's wife.....but it sounds like you always want to have the last word.......the end for me ! Enjoy your last word again....because you are so sure of being right....;)

23. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Man, my head is spinning... Which is the truth...if Arndt had a Solo centric script and JJ didn't like it and wanted more of Luke, so he fired Arndt and rewrote it, then HOW can Han now have a lead role and be more important than Luke, as some are suggesting? That doesn't make sense at all and it just proves that one of these rumours is very very wrong. But which one?

Mystery Roach likes this.
  24. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    different times....I said that when the WHOLE cast was announced......not the order....since....yes.....they announced Portman and Lloyd first.......its not like Boyega and Ridley were announced first..

Not the same ball game at all......and Lucasfilm was a very different company in 1997.....

I'm done with this...see ya....

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I have mine too! Yay for us! The point is that you used that list to support your statement "....it matched the billing order when the whole cast was announced." It clearly doesn't. The point is that the official LFL cast release for TPM doesn't come close to the actual billing of the movie, which you stated as "the right answer is yes....it matched the billing order when the whole cast was announced."

At least we can finally put that to bed. Cast list is not official billing order.

oh, and Adrian Dunbar was in TPM deleted scenes:

[​IMG]
    "Alderaan seconds the motion for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum."
    ―Adrian Dunbar as "Bail Organa," in a deleted scene from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom MenaceListen (file info)[src]

Adrian Dunbar was originally cast as Bail Organa.
    In 1999, the Irish actor Adrian Dunbar was cast as Bail Organa and was set to appear in the Senate sequence of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. In his original scene, Dunbar's Organa seconded Queen Amidala's Vote of No Confidence that toppled Valorum's Chancellorship.[27] However, references to "Bail Organa" in the script were changed to "Bail Antilles" during production, making Dunbar's character a separate politician.[30]
    While filming his scenes, Dunbar was asked to perform with an American accent at the last moment. The actor practiced a bit and delivered his lines as requested on the day of filming. After he did it, he heard a voice saying: "That is the worst American accent I've ever heard." When Dunbar peered out through the light to see who was mocking him, he realized it was his old friend Liam Neeson, who played Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn in the film.[31] Ultimately, the footage containing Dunbar was cut from the final film,[27] and Antilles was only briefly mentioned in The Phantom Menace as a nominee to succeed Chancellor Valorum.[14] Dunbar received a telephone call from George Lucas to let him know he would not make it into the film. The Irish actor later expressed his disappointment that his scenes were cut, especially since the only reason he was to take part in The Phantom Menace was because Lucas initially wanted to include him in the next two films.[31]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.