main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke Have A Child? If So, Where's Mom?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well if they do have the mother/wife in the movie, then I'm also going to nominate Sijourney Weaver simply because Luke Skwalker and Ellen Ripley would make the greatest sci-fi power couple ever :p

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Your shipping knows no bounds. :)

T-R- and plaidphoenix like this.
  3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i want Mara Jade.

DL44Jo, Cevan, T-R- and 4 others like this.
  4. MovingPictures73

MovingPictures73 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    I believe it will be consistent with the established EU in some way, shape, or form. Either Luke will have, or had Mara Jade as his wife with Ben Skywalker in the picture or in the universe in some way.

T-R- and Ryus like this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    It won't be Mara Jade.

Kasdan and Abrams would be able to come up with a much better character.

If Luke is to have a biological son or/and daughter, I'd prefer for the wife to be alive and in the movie.

There is more drama to be had from that than for to have died years ago.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Better? Mara jade was one of the coolest characters in star wars history. They won't do better

DL44Jo, T-R-, dyous87 and 2 others like this.
  7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *blurg*

The only way to make Mara 'cool' would to be to encase her in carbonite.

Anything or Nothing would be better than MJ.

8. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I think that Luke will have a biological son but who the mother is not sure maybe she had him and didn't tell him there could be some drama there

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

If Kasdan and Abrams, working of a basic story by George Lucas (if that is the case) can't create a better character than that then the ST doomed.

Worst reason to get married. Ever.

That cliché is done to death in Hollywood.

10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    This is the funniest thing I've read on here in quite a while! :D

maychild likes this.
  11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Don't worry, her popularity and firey temper would thaw her out, just for you, before the end credits. ;)

Well, yeah, legally Disney can't put Spiderman's girlfriend Mary Jane Watson in the movie. Plus none of us want a crossover unless its Patton Oswalts version. :p

12. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Then please, take her. And drop her in the nearest black hole.

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Oh the haters, sometimes you all sound like fans whinning about Heath Ledger just being cast as the Joker. Always with you what can not be done, you know the rest... in this case she CANT be a good character just because you didn't like the legends take on her.

With most of her fans though (and of those who are aware of her we are the vast majority according to every poll out there) we admit we could get a bad take on her in the movies (just look at batman actors and there record of hit or miss), however to us its a case of 'better to have love and lost, then to have never loved at all'. Or simply put we at least want an attempt at her, then her to have never been seen in liveaction. If she's bad, well she's bad and a few EU fans will explode; however if she's a hit then those fans will likely see the movie 10 more times in theaters at least.

Many EU fans would never forgive them for not having her if they don't and of we get any romantic interest for Luke she will be put under a microscope of scrutiny by fans who now feel slighted at Mara getting retconned... id feel very sorry for any actress forced into that role. As oppossed to an actress who might be playing Mara who will get instant street credit for being Mara, and if she sucks then she'd get the same ammount of hate as anyother actor in star wars that sucks (we all are aware of the hate a few prequal actors get).

DL44Jo, T-R- and Abadacus like this.
  14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    It's just enough to counter the "MJ is the BEST Star Wars Character EVA11!!" pablum we see day after day - "She the best thing since Betty White started slicing bread!" [face_sick]

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's the worst spelling of "Trainspotting-sized smelly dirty toilet filled to the rim with poop" that I've ever seen.

I see this place hasn't changed much since last time I dropped in. Same old name-calling of posters who don't share opinions on a character along with the Disney Prediction Game.

I could get on board with Ellen Ripley. Maybe.

maychild likes this.
  16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I assume you mean people who hated the idea of Ledger as Joker before seeing the movie.

The Legends "take" on Mara Jade is the only take there is.

She is just a dull individual with no redeeming qualities.

If Luke in the ST gets a romantic interest, or a wife (Ha) I don't see why people would compare her to Mara Jade - because there was no romance between her and Luke.

A cave or something was falling on them, Luke said out of the blue that if they survived they should hitched and she suddenly out of the blue thought it was a good idea for no reason whatsoever

And we don't even know if Abrams or Kasdan even know if the EU exists - let alone know who any of the characters are

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dull, and whiny, and often a complete ***** to Luke.

maychild, DarthBreezy and Grytpype like this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I like the Thrawn trilogy as much as the next guy but Mara Jade escaping the grip of the Dark Side by killing Luke's clone was underwhelming to say the least

She barely appears again until Zahn pushes her in the forefront by setting up a marriage to the main character in the franchise

And if she is so insanely popular with the majority the. Why did Del Ray kill her off?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked her in the first couple of TTT books, aside from the whole "only one who can hear the Emperor" crap, which was stupid. Other than that she was a badass and a decent foil for Luke.

She was absolutely ****ing horrible in the NJO. I wanted to do the reader version of an MST by copying every scene she was in and breaking up each paragraph with "Butch up prom queen." Especially the pregnancy scenes. Holy hell. Shut. The. ****. Up. You're supposed to be nauseated and have swollen ankles. I'll sympathize when you actually have real pregnancy problems.

Can't speak to the post-NJO period, I've avoided it.

maychild and cwustudent like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    To have Jacen do something somewhat evil.

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There's not gonna be a Mara Jade or a wife or kid of any sort. We already more or less know Luke's appearance is more of less a glorified cameo.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep, this movie's gonna suck. I know it because I read a rumor about how sucky it's gonna be on the interwebs. :p

23. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Funny thing was, Zahn himself established the idea that there were other Emperor's Hands, but then freaked out when a later author included one in their book and promptly retconned it in one of his own later books. Mara had to be SPESHUL. That's when most of the problems with her character started.

Ah yes, and since she has to be the center of attention at all times, she broadcasts her labor pains all over the frickin' galaxy, bringing the Solobrats to their knees, weeping. Interestingly, when Leia (who the NJO reminded us ad nauseam was a complete Force weakling) was in labor with two of said Solobrats, she somehow managed to not make it a galactic event, and she was a padawan at the time. Mara (who the NJO likewise reminded us ad nauseam) was a Jedi master.

She was loathsome beyond belief in the NJO and she didn't improve at all in the post-NJO books.

I fail to see how there will be a mass outcry if Mara or a facsimile of her is not included in Episode VII. She's not known at all outside of a minority of SW fans, and although there were some boycott threats from EU fans when Disney kicked the EU to the canonicity curb, I have little doubt they'll go the way of all other fan-declared boycotts: nowhere. Not only will they see Episode VII, they'll snap up the rebooted EU.

24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    There was a rumor that Mara Jade will show up in REBELS. Sorry to piss everyone off.

T-R-, dyous87 and Ryus like this.
  25. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    You mean we might get a chance to watch the old hag die horribly on screen? Sign me up! :p

Just keep her far away from Luke, and for the love of all that's holy, don't let her breed!

And I really don't think Luke will have any kidlets, so the whole point may be moot anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.