main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke Have A Child? If So, Where's Mom?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    maychild:
    Okay, I'll ask you this: How would you feel if Han and Leia never got married and never had any kids? Be truthful, don't just say you'd be okay with it because you know it's almost a given that they will be married and will have at least one kid.

That's how I feel about Luke. I want him to know the happiness of a family, and I want to be able to follow one of his kids into future stories once Luke is gone. Can you understand that?

Here's the connection: If Luke has been missing for 30 years, he hasn't been able to have a relationship with his sister and her husband. He has never met his niece and possible nephew. They will already be adults when he meets them! That's not having a family. They would be strangers to him. AND, as is likely, if Luke dies in episode VII or VIII, he's not going to get much of an opportunity to have a long and happy relationship with "family", is he?

I think most people expect the sequel trilogy to be about the kids of Leia and Han AND of Luke. I don't think I'm in the minority here by a long shot. And I think Luke having a child would be better for the franchise. Not only would a father/son or father/daughter relationship mirror the father/son dynamic of the OT, but having a Skywalker kid will allow so many more possibilities for future stories between trilogies and after the ST than Luke having no child would allow.

Well, I misunderstood you then. I had said that having a Solo kid decide to take on the Skywalker name instead of keeping the Solo name would hurt Han. Your rsponse was:

If she takes on the Skywalker name (a name her mother never used by the way), and gives up the Solo name, that *would* be denouncing the Solo name, wouldn't it? That's how I see it, especially if it causes family drama and "upsets her folks".

Ryus, T-R-, JediMatteus and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I don't understand - do you mean you written your Star Wars stories?

Tolkien didn't do romance - at least not well, but yes, to my knowledge Gandalf has no romantic backstory in those books.

Again, this doesn't exclude the possibility for other "Merlins".

Obi-Wan had a romantic relationship in his younger days, but he choose a different path.

Luke is a very loving character in the OT - more so than any other Jedi we meet - I don't how a wife and child is so "unseeable".

You may find it "unnecessary", but we haven't seen the script - maybe it is!!!

The moderators here are a reasonable bunch - I doubt they'd consider this minor part of the conversation as off-topic.

I'd open to such a character too, but... "and I actually hope it would be a female humanoid alien to take things to the next chapter" it isn't happening.

The leading ladies of the ST are humans.

3. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I don't follow

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    @Hogsquattle
    By the way, Gandalf had no love interest because he's not human, he's what you call a Maiar who was sent to Middle Earth by Eru (basically the God of the Middle Earth Universe) to help fight against Sauron.;)

Ryus likes this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    The bloodline will carry on with Leia's children and I have no issue with adoption - the pro-marriage view of "Skywalker by name and blood" that maychild gave as an example are not my words - maychild was asking a question, not attributing the comments to me.

I haven't mentioned Leia as the continuation of the bloodline or Luke adopting because I didn't see it as relevant to question I asked about why you and maychild are asked the marriage idea

That is a really bizarre stretch

He doesn't have to be human to fall in love - the fact that cared about Middle Earth and had real affection for Bilbo and Yhe Fellowship showed that he is a living individual - if you have emotions you can fall in love ;)

Ryus and starocean90 like this.
  6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Yes - the link has been in my signature for a long time. In 'My' Universe, Luke has a wife and three children, plus at one point a vulgar amount of grandkids.

maychild likes this.
  7. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    I wouldn't like it at all. But Han and Leia were established in the OT as having a romantic relationship. Luke wasn't.

Yes, I can understand that. It's not a matter of understanding it. I just don't think it's necessary for him to have a wife and kid(s) to be happy. He will have a family even if he is single and childless. I have a family even though I am single and childless.

And I'm already half on board with your idea because I have suggested that he adopt a child.

Yes he would. He was friends with them before he found out Leia was his sister and before H/L got together romantically.

I'm still not getting why this means he should have a wife and kid.
    OK, let's say for the sake of argument that that's true. So what?

I don't know about "better," but it would open up possibilities. It would be the same if he adopted a child.

And it would be the same with an adopted child.

Yes, I think you did misunderstand me. I said it might upset her folks that she chose to take the Skywalker name. I didn't say anything about her "denouncing" the Solo name.

And that's the way you see it. I don't think it would be "denouncing" the Solo name, any more than it would be "denouncing" the Solo name if said kid took the name Organa. It's true Leia never used the name Skywalker; we have no idea how/if she makes peace with her heritage in the 30 years since finding out about it. But I can see one of Han and Leia's kids, say, hearing tales about the adventures of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker and then deciding he/she would like to be known by the Skywalker name. Not as a "repudiation" or "denunciation" of the Solo name, but as a tribute to the Skywalker name.

Hogsquattle, Breezy and I have given our reasons for not wanting Luke to be married. If you don't accept them, that's fine, but we've given them.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Okay, I don't look at any signatures or follow the links there in.

I don't see the connection - why did you bring up the fact that you married Luke in your fan fiction for the sole purpose of telling me to not use it to counter your argument?

I don't see the relevance anyway.

J/K? What does that mean? Joking?

I was saying that he was a very loving person in the OT, so it stands to reason he wouldn't choose the old ways of the Jedi and would want a family.

... breeding... - this remark is strange way to describe the conception and birth of a child, kind of a cold way to day it.

Ahh, but you said it yourself - but we haven't seen the script - maybe it is!!![/quote][/quote]

No she isn't - Fisher and Ridley are the leading ladies, Ridley is playing a human.

My statement that we hadn't seen the script was in relation to you believing Luke having a wife and child was unnecessary - why did you choose to not respond to that but use my statement as a "comeback" to a completely different point?

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There are 2 options.

1. - Take a willing break from this thread, which is obviously getting the better of you.
    2. - Take an abrupt break from the boards.

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    You should sometime - there are a LOT of interesting things there from different people.

I brought it up because there are other people who read this thread, and inevitably I will be accused of having a double standard - again.

Yes, I was poking fun at all the hate the PT love story gets, again, more of an inside joke as 12 years ago, I was a very active participant in the PT Love story Defense.

I chose that word because of the obsession with the idea that Luke must be a biological donor to be a FATHER, and MUST be yoked up.

There are a few other ladies that have been cast - and we have NO IDEA....

I was making a point of my own - that it's ALL speculation, and saying 'it HAS to be like this' and 'your opinion is wrong' isn't going to work.

Right now the possibilities are endless, and that includes the idea that Luke may just be married to the Force.

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Reign of the Phallus!

Never let go of it....wait?....What?....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This, ad infinitum.

If the discussion can be based off of this simple notion, by all means, continue. If not, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

13. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    What ever you have been partaking off, please share while I take a few post away from this thread.... [face_peace]

14. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It was a joke in relation to the view that there can be no way that a women could pass on the Skywalker name. Oh, and apparently a sad attempt at humor.

JediMatteus likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still stand by my assumption that Luke will have a child who will be a protagonist in the ST so the bad guy can snarl "Skywalkerrrrrrrrrrr!!" a few times throughout the ST. Like I don't think Luke will be the only "Skywalkerrrrrrrr" in Episode 9 and probably not directly involved in the climatic ST battle, therefore he has to have a kid so we get the Episode 9 bad guy going "Skywalkerrrrrrrr!!"

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Richaaaaaarrrrdds!!!!!
    [​IMG]

17. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    I just finished reading this entire thread - I liked the idea/comment made a few times of Erin Grey as actress for Luke's wife (if he has one). Last I remember seeing her was in Buck Rogers which aired from '77 to '85 I believe. She's great!

If they write the script/story well and very believable I will be happy with whatever route they take Luke I think - if they stay true to the characters (which I think could go either way as far as Luke having/not having a child [whether biological or adopted] and/or wife) and they keep it authentic to Star Wars. If they don't I might kill someone myself - Darth Vader style!!

But if I were to state my preference it would be for Luke to have a biological son - if he does I have kind of imagined us being surprised by the son (who he is/exists) and/or mother in VIII or IX where the son is introduced in VII but we don't know until VIII and the mother is introduced maybe in VIII and we are surprised by who she is/maybe that she's still alive/was presented at all, etc. in IX. Star Wars has always been good for surprises and twists in plots and from what I've heard that's JJ's style too. Hopefully, they will all be well done, pleasant surprises! We can only hope to God!!

Hogsquattle likes this.
  18. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    maychild:

At least you have admitted that you wouldn't like it if Han and Leia weren't married and didn't have any kids. That's exactly how *I* feel about Luke. I won't like it at all if he doesn't have a family either. So, at least you seem to understand that having a romantic relationship and kids *IS* a positive thing that most people want even for fictional characters.

Even though Luke is my favorite character, I want Leia and Han to be married and have kids too. I know that that's what most of their fans want, so I want that too. Why can't you wish the same for Luke fans? How would it harm YOU if Luke had a biological son that Luke fans can follow into future films when Luke is gone, just as you can follow Han and Leia's kids into the future when they are gone? Isn't it a little unfair to want the best for Han and Leia because they're your favorites, but not for Luke because he isn't your favorite?

And the fact that Luke wasn't in a romantic relationship in the OT doesn't work as a reason for Luke not to be married/widower and have a kid in the ST. He actually WAS involved in something of a romantic triangle in the OT, but Lucas decided to pair Leia with Han instead. So why should Luke lose out on the possibility of marriage forever, just because he didn't get the girl in the OT? I will again remind you that there really wasn't an opportunity for Luke to have another romantic relationship in the OT. There weren't any other women anywhere near his age in the OT besides Leia, and there simply wasn't time for another romance in an action/adventure series that already had one romance anyway.

Again, Luke was only 23 when we last saw him in RotJ. That's young for marriage. But, there's absolutely NO reason why Luke couldn't have met and married the love of his life and had a kid or kids within a 30 year period! If Luke had been 50 in RotJ, I would agree with you that it would be less likely that he would have married and had children. But at 23, I strongly disagree that because he wasn't in a romance in RotJ, he couldn't have been married and had children during the 30 years between trilogies. The prime years of Luke's life fell during those 30 years. They are the years that most people do fall in love and marry. Just because we haven't seen a film or TV show about this YET, doesn't mean that Luke couldn't marry/have kids.

Well, it isn't necessary for Han and Leia to marry and have kids either. But you want that, don't you? That's what I want for Luke too.

We just went through this. If Luke has been missing for the 30 years between the trilogies and had no contact with his family, he really isn't part of that family except biologically. I know that I have some cousins in another state far away, but I have never met them, and really don't know anything about them. Biologically, they are related to me, but I have no relationship with them, so they are strangers to me and I don't really think of them as family.

If Luke has never met his niece and hasn't seen his sister or Han in over 30 years, that's not really like "having a family", as they are not a support system for him nor he for them, and they really would have had no relationship to speak of. That's not "family". They may be related to him, but that doesn't make them his family.

I'm glad that you're happy about your situation. I'm not sure the same would be true for Luke. From what we saw of him in the OT, family seemed very important to him as I've mentioned before. Therefore, I think he would really like to have a family of his own. He doesn't seem like the type of person who would like to be alone.

Because if Luke wants to have a family and hasn't even seen Leia and Han or met their kid in 30 years, then if he had a wife and child of his own, he WOULD have a family.

So why do you have to be so adamantly opposed to Luke having a wife and child if that's what most of the fanbase wants? You certainly have a right to your opinion, but you've been very vocal about Luke not having a family. I guess I don't understand why that would be so important to you. Luke isn't your favorite character anyway, so why would it bother you so much if Luke does have a family in Episode VII? Can't you just be happy that Han and Leia are also married and have a family/ Why are you so adamant that Luke shouldn't have the same? I'm really curious about that.

Not really. It certainly wouldn't be the same for future stories, where I and others wouldn't be able to follow a child of Luke's into the future when Luke is gone. An adopted child wouldn't have Luke's Skywalker force potential. He/she wouldn't be a descendant of Luke's. In future stories, it would just be like having any other new character, not someone directly related to Luke. And, his/her kids would have no Luke connection at all, while the children of a biological child of Luke's would be his grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc.

At any rate, I'm finished with our discussion. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I never would have realized that so many people could have such a seriously misguided or shortsighted outlook on adoption and the impact an adoptive parent can have on a child.

20. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

I have absolutely NOTHING against adoption! I have a family member and a very close friend who have adopted children, and both the children and the adopting families are happy and much the better for it. However, this is a fictional story that involves generations of families and I really think that Luke should have a biological child of his own to add to the next generation of Skywalkers. I would be very happy if he had an adopted child in addition to a biological child.... just like George Lucas.

Gerdschroder, Ryus and T-R- like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    There have been countless posts by people, who I can only imagine have the minimalist of actual life experience, who have completely cheapened the legacies passed down by adoptive parents to their children simply because they demand some story that lines up with their fanfic or how they imagined the saga should play out with their action figures. It's abhorrent.

22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Aw, come on, CoD. I don't think anyone is belittling or underestimating the importance of adoption to the children OR the parents. . The adoption option was really only brought up because a couple of posters didn't want a certain character to marry.

Gerdschroder, Ryus, T-R- and 2 others like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's not really fair Chorus. We're not talking about adoption in the real world. We're talking about adoption in a fictional fantasy world, and how it might fit in with a very specific narrative about family lineage and hereditary super powers. No one is making negative statements about real life adoptions.

Gerdschroder, Ryus, T-R- and 4 others like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    But, I suppose whatever we have to say at the expense of some truly great legacies passed down via adoption in order to make a case for some fictional universe to be mapped out the way we want it.

DarthBreezy and plaidphoenix like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And are those who don't want Luke to marry anti-marriage because of how they want the story to go?

Gerdschroder, Ryus, T-R- and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.