main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke Have A Child? If So, Where's Mom?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    you do realize that VII "ignoring" the PT makes sense since the story is set more than 50 years after III. ;)

TheBBP likes this.
  2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Disney ignoring the PT goes entirely against the "one story" thing we have been told about.

3. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    it's not about ignoring the PT or it's story, 50 + years should change the Galaxy enormously.
    is America still the same now as it was back in the 40s.;)

4. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Tatooine...

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

except one thing from the PT, we will have Plagueis. [face_dancing]

starocean90 likes this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    and this
    Let the fan rage began,
    [​IMG]
    [face_devil]

coxie0520, kip73 and nightangel like this.
  7. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Regardless of how the morons feel, they need to have the respect for the fact that the events of the prequels happened. Stuff that happened in the 40's HAS effected how we are today. IF they can't respect the prequels, they will not be getting my money for their spin off

8. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Instead of Plagueis it will be Darth Plaque. Bring your toothbrush or suffer your fathers fate you wil

9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't see how they CAN'T "respect" the prequels... the story is canon and they know that.

Your worries are unfounded IMO.

I love the PT and have spent many-a-day defending it... but one thing I've always noticed, it's not the "story" that is bashed in the PT, it's everything else about it. The story is canon and the writers know that. It will be a complete non-issue.

10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    [face_laugh]
    this is so true.:p

nightangel, Hoggsquattle and EviL_eLF like this.
  11. Big Jim Slade

Big Jim Slade Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2014
    >>
    I love the PT and have spent many-a-day defending it... but one thing I've always noticed, it's not the "story" that is bashed in the PT, it's everything else about it. The story is canon and the writers know that. It will be a complete non-issue.[/quote]>>

In its details, the PT story is absolutely awful. Anakin is immaculately conceived and builds 3PO? A clone army is created using DNA from Boba Fett's dad? This stuff reads like the worst of the worst fan fiction, only in this case, frighteningly, the fan fiction has been written by the creator himself. Lucas set out to prove that he could drive Star Wars on his own after years of displacement and ridicule within the very universe he created. Surrounded by 'yes people' who wouldn't tell him the truth. . . he failed. . . he failed miserably. The PT are among the most paceless, tasteless and graceless films ever made. . . Disney is employing the formula that made ESB such a success . . . less Lucas Unleashed and more combined input from first rate talents. . .

Bennihana likes this.
  12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  13. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
  14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    ^^^I'm all for more Yoda memes, but that one has his speech wrong. He doesn't randomly mix words to be nonsensical when said... he just frequently (not always!) has the phrase backwords yet still meaning the same. "This is my home" thus becomes "My home this is"

Either he would keep it the same - Cool story bro
    or he would phrase it so it means the same but sounds just off - Story cool bro

15. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    I actually thought it read story cool bro until you pointed out the obvious :p

16. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

There is zero chance of the Prequels getting "erased" or disrespected.

This is a non-issue.

The only issue is whether these writers have the talents to give us a great screenplay - I have my doubts and with Weitz, I questioned whether Kennedy could get any good writers at all - but the woman knows what she is doing and Lucas decreed her his worthy heir so I will just have to relax and see how it goes (and pray Weitz moves on quickly :p)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, let's all back away slowly from PT bashing/gushing...

TheBBP likes this.
  18. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    I'll gush over them however much I want to gush over them!

19. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Well said.

Force Smuggler and starocean90 like this.
  20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    How far back in this thread was the idea of Luke having a child last discussed?

In any case, I think it is great if Luke has a kid, but to throw that in as a surprise can really make things confusing and convoluted. We already presumably have Han and Leia's daughter whose identity will likely not be revealed right away. Then we have Dom being Luke's son?

The problem with not having his mother or mentioning his mother is the same problem we would have had if the prequels told the story of Anakin without every bringing in Luke and Leia's mother.

Unless they are trying to do what they did with GOTG and leave the other parent a surprise until next movie.

Still there would be a lot of people (me included) that would feel something HUGE missing if we never got to see Luke developing his relationship and living peacefully with his mate but instead find him living in isolation and hermit-like.

They could explore it in a spin-off but it just wouldn't be the same. It's going to be interesting to see if this all pans out about Luke's son and how they'd handle it without creating an aching void.

21. Longsight

Longsight Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2014
    She could be living with Luke in his self-imposed exile.

Or we could have a How To Train Your Dragon 2 situation where the mother is only referenced for a couple of lines in the first movie, then appears as a character in the next. Did anyone feel that Valka was somehow less vibrant as a character, and her relationship with Stoick less real, for not having seen her in the first movie?

Just because we don't see a mother now doesn't mean we won't see her later, or that any depiction of her relationship with Luke would, necessarily, be lacking without boatloads of exposition.

Remember, we didn't see the vast majority of relationship development between Han and Leia. We saw Kate/Petruchio-style banter and a final admission of love in Empire. We saw a little bit of further development in Jedi. That still leaves years of bickering, reconciliation, laughing, loving, and possibly even leaving that we have not seen. Yet most fans (myself included) have no problem imagining that Leia and Han got married, had at least one kid, and are probably still together. If what DOES get portrayed on screen is powerful enough, people accept it.

Abadacus, jedijax and starocean90 like this.
  22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    You do have some great solid points! I assume that if Luke does have a son, we will certainly get development for Episodes 8 and 9 and will be something worth building anticipation for in the upcoming movies (like, again, GOTG and Peter's father). Imagine the "Is is Mara or not?" debate leading into Episode 8. Imagine if the mother is somehow involved with whatever went down in TFA. It could offer a WHOLE new set of variables which could make things much more interesting on many levels.

nightangel likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Despite my being against this, suddenly Gwen popped into my head as the child's mother. I think the bad take out food I ate earlier is causing me to go down the dark path that is bad fan fiction. :eek:[face_sick]:eek:

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    o_O
    that makes no sense age wise between her and Luke and especially between her and Gleeson, she's only 6-7 years older then him.;)

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ [face_laugh] Like I said, bad take out food delirium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.