main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will Luke Have A Child? If So, Where's Mom?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wow, I just had flashbacks to the early 2000's.

starocean90 likes this.
  2. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    edit....decided i didnt care.

If hes got a kid great, if he has a wife alive, missing, or dead, great...im sure it contributes to the story going forward.

starocean90 likes this.
  3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Not necessarily. Granted I don't think it will happen but if we accept as a given in sci-fi that there are humanoid/human looking species that live longer then humans(ie Vulcans in ST) it's not implausible for Gwen to playing a character that's somewhat older then what she appears to be.

4. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Darth Plageuis is dead. Accept it.

I do want Luke to have a son though. Something more assertive than Ben Skywalker was in the former EU. Maybe as Luke was fighting for the Rebellion before he became a full fledged Jedi, he conceived a child with a former female he knew (on Hoth maybe?) during this time and only learned of his offspring years later after the Battle of Endor. The child would be in his thirties as a result, but would explain why Luke has offspring, but is also not married. This works well with Domhnall Gleeson's age too.

Beautiful_Disaster and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No, for that vocal minority it is the story.

They have convinced themselves that of that.

I'd say the chances that you are going to like these new movies is incredibly low. It's never going to be what you want and when you realize that the story of the prequels is essential viewing to understanding the new ones especially the ST I can only imagine how you will react to that.

I really suggest reading the making of's for each of the prequels as well as the art of books and listen to the commentaries and watch the extras . I think it's helpful to actually know the way the movies were made which is not at all relflective of what some people think happened. TESB was what it was because of Lucas not Kershner, not Kasdan etc but because of Lucas. They played their parts of course but ultimately it was George's movie.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    really you have issues so the Jedi can't evolve they need to change to survive I am happy if he has a child the no attachment rule is not sensible for survival of the Jedi at this point remember all the Jedi and young Jedi that were slaughtered you need new blood and there is nothing wrong with love that is the one thing that drives me crazy about the scifi fandom in general the faction that hates any romantic relationship at all

7. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    He can have a child and not necessarily have a child. Which I hope he doesn't. I hope we don't see any offspring of the OT main characters. I would be 100% on board if, before December 18th, they retcon all of them becoming sterile. Either through some mishap on the Falcon, or in Bespin, some freak accident, etc.

8. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

There's a flaw in your logic here as that rule has already been broken in the prequels.

Also, Yodas instructions to Luke were pass on what you have learned, not pass on the Jedi code...pretty sure after all Luke went through and his faith in his father and his belief in family, he would've learned that the old orders rules were flawed.

Wether he has children or not is another matter.

9. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    you have issues you remember this is a story right entertainment

10. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Yup not sure I like the idea of "Star Wars Episode IVF" ....kind of destroys the fantasy elements.

11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    o_O
    Thank the Lord, your not in charge.[face_plain]

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Reading the last few posts I was wondering what the hell is going on and what is the purpose of this thread! Then I realized-I friggin' created it!!!:eek:

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

T-R-, nightangel and EviL_eLF like this.
  15. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I hope they reference the PT rules of the Jedi, and make the evolution into a story point. Not just, boom, Luke has a son now who's an ass kicking Jedi. I'm completely fine if thy explore the ways Luke's possible "New Order" differs from the PT Jedi's.

nightangel likes this.
  16. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    If Anakin hadn't had an inappropriate affair with a galactic senator and conceived two children, the Jedi would have been destroyed in time and the Emperor would have one. Palpatine could have easily found another apprentice like Darth Maul who had nothing to do with the Order and been in charge of hunting down and destroying the Jedi for the Empire instead. It's only because Darth Vader is a former Jedi and betrays Palpatine that the Order even has hope of living on after.

If Luke does not learn from this and reform the Jedi accordingly, there was no point in the former happening to change up the Order and bring balance to the Force. Some things are going to have changed as a result including marriage. Anakin's departure proves that a Jedi can learn to handle the obligations of family and temptation at the same time.

17. Lord Crevil

Lord Crevil Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2015
    Luke should !!NOT!! have a kid... a Grand Jedi Master should not have a kid, also he has 3 damn force spirits to tell where all that **** leads... i mean talk about a marriage story gone wrong

18. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    She will either be in the kitchen laundry or bedroom....

Hoggsquattle and The Jaded Irk like this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I don't think a scene with Luke explaining why the Jedi Code has changed would be necessary.

If he has a child, or any other Jedi are shown to have families, it won't be a sudden "boom" moment as you suggest. We can be fairly certain that is going to be the way it is - current fans will know the history and a to new fans/just movie goers it wouldn't be important to know.

The only other elements I believe Luke would need to change are the leadership of the Order (council or no council) and allegiance to a single government.

Other than the attachment rule, the hierarchy, and being a loyal to the Republic, I don't know of anything else Luke would need to change - although I would imagine that some words on why the Jedi don't serve the Alliance would be necessary (if that is in fact the case).

20. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    Who's to say Luke even knows the Jedi Code? Seems to me Yoda was too busy making up for lost time to tell him he better not be joining farmers only.

TheBBP likes this.
  21. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    This. Plus, Luke never quite completed his training...

22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Apparently, Luke is a deadbeat dad and took to a life of solitude in the outer rim. His wife probably re-married some senator or some hot-shot young Naval Captain on Coruscant.

23. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    She ran off to marry Rotta the Hutt!

TheBBP likes this.
  24. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Hopefully we aren't getting this cliche which is the fairly standard plot of most action movies (although Taken made the second husband a millionaire businessman) :rolleyes:

We don't know what Yoda did or didn't tell Luke about Jedi history during the time on Dagobah.

Abrams and Kasdan could just say that Luke learned a lot more information than we actually saw in TESB.

However, I doubt they'll devote time and dialogue to explaining background information, such as to the Code, when it is necessary - if Luke or another Jedi has a family the screen then that is all the explanation we need as to Jedi having attachments of that nature.

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    He probably wouldn't be a Grand Jedi Master when he has a kid; he'll just still have one when he eventually ascends to the Grand Master rank.

Then again, there may not be such a rank in Luke's new order, however large or small it is--or he may not even be 'there' yet to warrant such a rank.

Marriage & children doesn't lead to galactic conquest and betrayal and mass-murder... Luke starting a family doesn't mean he'll turn out just like Anakin. There were very specific reasons for Anakin turning out that way, from the old Jedi traditions to the way the Jedi dealt with them to the secretive, possessive nature of his relationship with Padme. Yoda realized by the time of ROTS that the Jedi Order had lost its way--further developed in the Lost Missions of TCW--and while Yoda & Ben still tended to default to the old ways when teaching Luke, they weren't as strict about everything except in avoiding the temptation of the dark side, and maybe in the idea of letting his friends die for the greater good. They may have taught Luke many things offscreen about old rules, but Luke never really seemed to exhibit knowledge of or adherence to those old traditions, and Yoda's final words to Luke were about the Force running strong in his family, and to pass on what he's learned...what better way to pass along his teachings than to Force-strong kids he sires himself? Sure, Leia can also learn and make babies that can learn the ways of the Force, too, but why prohibit Luke from doing so because of the old dogma of the failed Jedi Order? And if Leia becomes a Jedi, too, then wouldn't she be subject to the same restrictions in your view, thus ending the Skywalker lineage once & for all?

It's better for the future of the Jedi for both of them to have kids, in addition to training other children of the Force, and to learn from the mistakes made both by the Jedi of old and by Anakin himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.